Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2015 7:56:16 AM EDT
I needed/wanted a gun safe in my office, location dictated size and that it needed to be a left hand swing door which limited my options. Found the perfect match in a Fort Knox Protector 6026.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great! I came so close to getting that same decal on mine. I opted for the normal carpet on mine instead of the velour but after seeing yours I wish I would have got the velour. It looks amazing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks great! I came so close to getting that same decal on mine. I opted for the normal carpet on mine instead of the velour but after seeing yours I wish I would have got the velour. It looks amazing.
View Quote
Thanks, Yeah the interior is very very nice. I got that Decal as a little homage to what is parked in the building.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I install a number of gun safes in businesses where the owner is planning on storing guns.  They are great for that, and often look great.

As a general rule, gun safes are not the best choice for other typical office type uses.  Be careful if you're using it for that purpose.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I install a number of gun safes in businesses where the owner is planning on storing guns.  They are great for that, and often look great.

As a general rule, gun safes are not the best choice for other typical office type uses.  Be careful if you're using it for that purpose.
View Quote
Oh there is another safe. This is for some of my toys and stuff that overflow from home.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That does look nice.

I gotta hand it to Knox on fit and finish.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice looking safe.  The Protector is one of the best values for a 7 gauge safe on the market.

The performance stripe trim is my personal favorite. I even put one on my vault door (pictured in the gun room thread)  Love the crushed velvet interior as well.  

You're doing it right. (IMHO )

View Quote

Link to said pics?!?!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/264729_The_Gun_Room_Picture_Thread.html&page=35

Near the bottom of the page.  

This was last year when it was in the detail shop right before we took it out to my house.  I'll try to get a few pics of the door installed.
View Quote

That thing is beautiful!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Love the Stripe, perfect contrast and placement.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Useless if not bolted down.  I am not seeing any red head fastenerss or a hammer drill in your photos........
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome!!

Love the cars too!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Useless if not bolted down.  I am not seeing any red head fastenerss or a hammer drill in your photos........
View Quote

Useless... No.  Just not as affective as possible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
How about you let me get the safe in it's spot first before I bolt it down.

It goes in the slot behind the safe. It is so tight I need to remove the baseboard before I can slide it into place.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nice looking safe.  The Protector is one of the best values for a 7 gauge safe on the market.

The performance stripe trim is my personal favorite. I even put one on my vault door (pictured in the gun room thread)  Love the crushed velvet interior as well.  

You're doing it right. (IMHO )

View Quote
Thank you Sir. You guys make great stuff.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
So I will say that since I've seen this setup I've now changed my order for the velour interior along with the performance stripe decal. Hope you don't mind but I figured since I'm 2500 miles away it won't be too big of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful finish on that safe! I would have gone with exterior hinges, but I can see how that would ugly it up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beautiful finish on that safe! I would have gone with exterior hinges, but I can see how that would ugly it up.
View Quote

Internal will be perfect on that safe because the wall is right there and he won't be able to open it up past that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Copycat

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Copycat

Quoted:
So I will say that since I've seen this setup I've now changed my order for the velour interior along with the performance stripe decal. Hope you don't mind but I figured since I'm 2500 miles away it won't be too big of a deal.

Remember what I told you yesterday... I take it all back.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Internal will be perfect on that safe because the wall is right there and he won't be able to open it up past that.
View Quote

A smaller door swing radius is just one part of why an internal hinge is inferior to an external one. Here are some more:

- It will have a gap in fireproofing where the hinges are.
- The door cannot be easily/quickly removed for moving the safe.
- It will not be as strong or durable as an external hinge.
- It cannot be adjusted with the door closed; some of them cannot be adjusted at all. I believe Ft Knox internal hinges can be adjusted but still not with the door closed.
- Much harder (or impossible) to rebuild or repair with off-the-shelf parts.

I'm sure I've forgot a couple,  but those are the main ones. You will only see internal hinges on gun safes or low grade consumer safes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
- The door cannot be easily/quickly removed for moving the safe.   No need.  Removing the door rarely makes moving the safe easier and is ill advised due to the possibility of a dropped box being knocked out of square.  Then the door won't hang right ever again without a trip back to the factory.  Any safe dealer/mover worth calling himself such will remove a door from a safe only as a last resort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
- The door cannot be easily/quickly removed for moving the safe.   No need.  Removing the door rarely makes moving the safe easier and is ill advised due to the possibility of a dropped box being knocked out of square.  Then the door won't hang right ever again without a trip back to the factory.  Any safe dealer/mover worth calling himself such will remove a door from a safe only as a last resort.

What I stated about not being able to remove the door is a matter of fact. You saying that there is no need for this is your opinion. There will always be some circumstances where an installation or move might require the door to be removed.

Your concern about a safe being knocked out of square during a move without the door is primarily a concern for a sheet metal safe, not a plate steel or other safe with substantial construction. As an aside, plenty of safes are dropped with the door on and are damaged and knocked out of plumb. If anything the extra weight of the door would make the fall worse.

Quoted:
- It will not be as strong or durable as an external hinge. This is only marginally true, but I'll give it to you.  I like the external hinges better myself, but use internal in an application like the OP.  He will never have a problem with those hinges not being strong enough.  If he did, I would fix it as part of his lifetime warranty.  Why worry?

Again, what I said is a fact (that is much more than marginally true), your response about the lifetime warranty and all that is based solely on the assumption that your company will be around forever and fix anything should the need arise.

Why worry? Plenty of companies offering lifetime warranties have disappeared or gone bankrupt so a lifetime warranty is sometimes not worth the paper it's printed on.

Quoted:
- It cannot be adjusted with the door closed; some of them cannot be adjusted at all. I believe Ft Knox internal hinges can be adjusted but still not with the door closed. unnecessary with our hinges and our warranty.

My statement is a fact, your response is an opinion.

Quoted:
- Much harder (or impossible) to rebuild or repair with off-the-shelf parts. unnecessary with our hinges and our warranty

Again, my statement is a fact, your response is an opinion.

Quoted:
I'm sure I've forgot a couple,  but those are the main ones. You will only see internal hinges on gun safes or low grade consumer safes are we solely a gun safe company or a low grade consumer safe?

Not sure why you're even asking me this but yes, you are a gun safe company. Your foray into real safes with a UL listed TL-30x6 is just a rebranded safe. It's engineered, tested and manufactured by another company. I might add that this safe is only available with external hinges.

I just stated the facts about internal hinges (with Ft Knox being the exception when it comes to less fire protection around the hinge) I never said anywhere that OP's safe is going to have problems because of the internal hinge. It's a small light safe compared to heavier and higher security safes, so that shouldn't be an issue.  

Internal hinges are used by gun safe companies for aesthetic reasons. External hinges will be better for long-term performance and function. Me personally, I'd take the better design of external hinges that have been proven through use and engineering on safes and vault doors for many hundreds of years rather than, "don't worry man, we have a lifetime warranty!"
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't worry, your private profession of undying love and desire to name your firstborn child after me will stay just between us... I swear.   ... oops

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't worry, your private profession of undying love and desire to name your firstborn child after me will stay just between us... I swear.   ... oops

Quoted:
Quoted:
Copycat

Quoted:

Remember what I told you yesterday... I take it all back.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Turnip,

...snip...
View Quote

I don't have a dog in this fight, but wanted to say thanks for taking the time to respond to these comments with so much professionalism and confidence in your product.  It is noticed and appreciated by many of us.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The fact is you came into a thread where a member was showing off his purchase that he was proud of and insinuated that it was inferior in terms of fire protection and strength.  Both factually untrue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The fact is you came into a thread where a member was showing off his purchase that he was proud of and insinuated that it was inferior in terms of fire protection and strength.  Both factually untrue.

I did not insinuate anything. Another member responded to my post about external hinges and I answered by stating the differences between them, which is more than just door swing.

The only thing I was wrong about in the case of your safes(and I acknowledged it earlier), was the fire protection difference.

So are you saying that an internal hinge can support just as much weight without flexing/torsion and will be as durable as an external hinge of similar size? If so, I guess the rest of the worldwide safe and vault industry could be flat wrong and I would love to see the physics and engineering behind that. Maybe the engineers at Inkas or Access can start using them on their high security safes.

Quoted:
If you have weight issues that make it so you can't move the safe with the door on you have no business attempting that move.

That's just flat out wrong for anyone who works with heavy safes.  I can think of numerous instances off the top of my head where it's necessary to remove the door of safe to lower the weight while transporting a safe. You have elevators, stairs, walkways and floors that can have lower floor load ratings then the final location of the safe. So taking the door off and removing 1/3-1/4 of the total weight might be necessary.

Bottom line is that It's good to have options. And being able to take the door off easily is a good option to have, whether or not you agree with it.

Quoted:
There is also no situation I can envision where adjusting the hinges with the door closed is necessary.  If you are authorized to work on my safe, I can open the door for you.  When the door is closed it means I want you to leave it alone.

This has nothing to do with not wanting someone to see inside your safe while working on it. It's sometimes easier or preferable to adjust a door with it closed. One simple example of this is when the door is stuck in the closed position. The fact that you have never done this or seen a need for it doesn't make what I said wrong. Back to options again, it's good to have options.

Quoted:
Our internal hinges can be repaired with off-the-shelf parts to  the same extent that external hinges can.  They are stupid simple.

I'll take your word for it on the parts but I can't imagine the entire process of taking the door off, making the repairs, and putting it back on being as easy as an external hinge.

Quoted:
I guess it is an issue if you can't trust a debt-free 33 year old company with a no fine print warranty to take care of you...  We can afford to offer such a warranty because our quality level is so high we just don't see the problems you are talking about in any significant number to worry about, or to make the customers worry about.

I never said anywhere that you would go of out business or that you have lots problems with your safes. I also never said that you didn't have a terrific warranty, or that you didn't stand behind your products. So I'm not sure why you keep repeating this.

Again, there are a number of disadvantages beyond door swing when comparing internal and external hinges. That's an established fact, not opinion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but wanted to say thanks for taking the time to respond to these comments with so much professionalism and confidence in your product.  It is noticed and appreciated by many of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turnip,

...snip...

I don't have a dog in this fight either. None of this affects me in any way whatsoever.

I hope I didn't miss the site rule that we are not allowed to offer information or disagree with companies' about their products and marketing materials. I apologize if I rained on OP's parade. I didn't intend too, I was trying to provide information.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#32]
FortKnoxVaults,

I apologize for getting a bit carried away and going on about it (I tend to do that in general).  Agreed on agreeing to disagree. You guys make a fine safe with even better service.

It was also the wrong thread for this discussion.

Sorry again OP for jacking your thread!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice safe
I like the velour too, that decal looks like it took some advice from Ford too. I'm a fan of the black on black chrome hardware. For what it's worth I would have chosen an internal hinge too. The odds of failure due to the hinge style is probably non existent for you, but there would have been a huge risk to the drywall if you slammed it open.

I didn't know that an external hinge was superior albeit marginally or extraordinarily. I would have assumed that an external hinge would have just been sawed off in an attack. Good to know. A strong warranty by Fort Knox is good to have, it keeps fort knox in the running for my next safe. I like how they will replace the safe if it was broken into or set on fire. That is a bold warranty. I'm sure that's built into the price of the safe too though which gives insight into why fort knox demands a premium over some of the other safe companies.

Are the shelves plywood or particle board?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]
My Ft. Knox safe has particle board shelves with carpet overlay..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top