Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 10:30:58 AM EDT
I have a smaller cannon safe and have never had a problem with it but it might be time to upgrade soon.  Here's what I'm looking at.  Both appear the be the same dimentions (59x24x40), but one claims to be 48 guns, one claims to be 64.  The interiors might be a little different allowing the set up (3 rows of 8 on each side vs 4 rows of 8 on each side).  I realize that both 48 and 64 arent realistic with optics, etc, but either would be quite an upgrade.  

Safe 1.   Cannon Safari Series 64-Gun Safe 5940F-DH2TEC13
this one is 699.00 online, plus 185.00 shipping= 884.00
http://www.ruralking.com/safe-cannon-safari-64-gun.html  

Safe 2.  In stock locally at TSC.  799.00 + 80.00 tax
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6040dlx-wide-body-safe-48-gun-capacity

Since the cost is the same, Which one is "better"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You should seriously search this very site about Cannon gun safes before buying.
You can do a hell of a lot better than this.

Edit to include...The Tractor shop safe is the better of the two.
It is at least UL rated and so therefore it has lock protection and a relocker.
The Safari is a joke as far as security protection.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you buy it, do so knowing they will probably not honor their warranty. If you get an electronic lock model, be prepared to pay for it to be drilled + new lock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you buy it, do so knowing they will probably not honor their warranty. If you get an electronic lock model, be prepared to pay for it to be drilled + new lock.
View Quote

I hear the talk abt the electronic lock horror stories but I've had mine for 9 years with no issues..  Cannon doesn't honor their warrenties?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hear the talk abt the electronic lock horror stories but I've had mine for 9 years with no issues..  Cannon doesn't honor their warrenties?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they only warranty the electronics for a year, which is pretty crappy for a company that advertises a "Lifetime Warranty."

The ones I examined at Tractor Supply were junk.  Extremely thin steel; most of the weight is drywall.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Just my .02, if you have enough firearms that you need that capacity you should buy a better RSC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Roget that. Comments are appreciated. Gonna hold off for now. I had orig wanted a fat boy or fat boy Jr but saw these for a little less...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think they only warranty the electronics for a year, which is pretty crappy for a company that advertises a "Lifetime Warranty."

The ones I examined at Tractor Supply were junk.  Extremely thin steel; most of the weight is drywall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone complains about the cannon safes and their electronic locks, yet liberty and other safe companies use the same s&g lock  .   ETA: I was unaware cannon switched to a cheaper lock.

One of the reasons cannons seem to break more often is because there are alot more cannon safes out there but percentage wise they go down at the same rate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Everyone complains about the cannon safes and their electronic locks, yet liberty and other safe companies use the same s&g lock  .  

One of the reasons cannons seem to break more often is because there are alot more cannon safes out there but percentage wise they go down at the same rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone complains about the cannon safes and their electronic locks, yet liberty and other safe companies use the same s&g lock  .  

Canon has not used a S&G e-lock for a very long time.
You are dead wrong on both your statements.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless you want a mechanical lock you can get the cannon and just switch the electronic lock  to whatever brand you want, amsec, lagard, s&g, etc.  You can even get a mechanical lock but you would have to pay a locksmith to install it which might not be cost effective.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Roget that. Comments are appreciated. Gonna hold off for now. I had orig wanted a fat boy or fat boy Jr but saw these for a little less...
View Quote

This is one of those times where you really want to up your budget and get a high quality safe thats rated. If you have 50 guns to store, you should be looking at the big thread on safes on this site and reading up on the different ratings and level of protection available. Many of the safes sold at big box stores are complete junk and are defeated in a couple minutes with a screwdriver and a crowbar.

Do a little research, ask yourself what your collection is worth and then make an educated decision. Pretty paint jobs and nice carpeted shelves aren't going to slow down a couple of guys with prybars, and that is the goal of any gun safe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is one of those times where you really want to up your budget and get a high quality safe thats rated. If you have 50 guns to store, you should be looking at the big thread on safes on this site and reading up on the different ratings and level of protection available. Many of the safes sold at big box stores are complete junk and are defeated in a couple minutes with a screwdriver and a crowbar.

Do a little research, ask yourself what your collection is worth and then make an educated decision. Pretty paint jobs and nice carpeted shelves aren't going to slow down a couple of guys with prybars, and that is the goal of any gun safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This video is worth watching:

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Nchapa please do more research before posting.
If you can verify where Cannon has suddenly switched back to S&G e-locks or for that matter a high quality lock provider please post the info.
Go to your local box store and look at those locks on those safes.

Cannon gun safes,which are no longer made here and have not been for several years,have basically become a supplier to low cost box stores.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nchapa please do more research before posting.
If you can verify where Cannon has suddenly switched back to S&G e-locks or for that matter a high quality lock provider please post the info.
Go to your local box store and look at those locks on those safes.

Cannon gun safes,which are no longer made here and have not been for several years,have basically become a supplier to low cost box stores.
View Quote

My bad I misread your comment.  I was unaware they switched to a cheaper lock.  I bought one for my dad and one for my brother years ago with the s&g locks.  

Either way, my statement on changing locks stands, those locks are easy to change.  I changed my dads safe s&g digital lock to a lagard digital lock a few months ago and it was a direct replacement.  His s&g keypad was messing up and local locksmith only had the lagard in stock.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck cannon safes...just Google it, they are terrible
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#16]
  Either way, my statement on changing locks stands, those locks are easy to change. I changed my dads safe s&g digital lock to a lagard digital lock a few months ago and it was a direct replacement. His s&g keypad was messing up and local locksmith only had the lagard in stock.  
View Quote

They are not easy to change when the safe is not set up for it.  All UL rated locks share a common footprint.  Many of the non-rated locks do not.  If the safe has a non UL rated lock in it from the factory, it may not be as simple as you believe to swap them out.  And even thought the safe could be modified, it's likely not worth the expense or effort.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I was looking at these at my local TSC last weekend.  I see they're made in Mexico now.  Same factory that makes the lower end Champion safes?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#18]
 Same factory that makes the lower end Champion safes?  
View Quote

The Mexican prison?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE97I01A20130819

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE97I01A20130819

View Quote

Now that's funny.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They are not easy to change when the safe is not set up for it.  All UL rated locks share a common footprint.  Many of the non-rated locks do not.  If the safe has a non UL rated lock in it from the factory, it may not be as simple as you believe to swap them out.  And even thought the safe could be modified, it's likely not worth the expense or effort.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
  Either way, my statement on changing locks stands, those locks are easy to change. I changed my dads safe s&g digital lock to a lagard digital lock a few months ago and it was a direct replacement. His s&g keypad was messing up and local locksmith only had the lagard in stock.  

They are a direct replacement, and they are UL rated, but hey lets bash cannon they suck stay away from them.  LoL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
 They are a direct replacement, and they are UL rated    
View Quote

Cannon uses both UL rated, and non-rated locks.  They are not all UL rated, and they are not all direct replacement.

but hey lets bash cannon they suck stay away from them. LoL.  
View Quote

I'm not bashing anybody.  Merely dishing out the facts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top