Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 1:42:06 PM EDT
http://m.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html

or

https://m.bjs.com/product?url=/q-see-8-channel-6-hd-1080p-ip-cameras-w2tb-hdd-hd-nvr.product.270970%3FdimId%3D2001056

I only need 6 cameras but 8 would be useful.  So besides that what's the difference here and would I be ok with the cheaper set?  I apologize, my phone is not hot linking and my office blocks both doors to this place.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Swann is made by Hikvision. If I was going to buy a kit from a box store I would probably get that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Swann is made by Hikvision. If I was going to buy a kit from a box store I would probably get that.
View Quote
I looked at hikvision and their stuff looked nice, of course, but their high res was limited to 20fps, and I didn't see any packages.  By the time I was done piecing everything together I was fairly certain I was missing components I would need and I had already exceeded my budget.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I looked at hikvision and their stuff looked nice, of course, but their high res was limited to 20fps, and I didn't see any packages.  By the time I was done piecing everything together I was fairly certain I was missing components I would need and I had already exceeded my budget.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need 30FPS.
Video gets choppy at 7FPS or lower. 10-20FPS is fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costco will let you return anything, but you'll have to return the whole kit.

I'd suggest starting with a PC based system and adding cameras as you go for $100-$150. That way each camera matches the task. Mine runs in the background of my PC and its not noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd suggest starting with a PC based system and adding cameras as you go for $100-$150. That way each camera matches the task. Mine runs in the background of my PC and its not noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a bad idea but I don't have a computer to dedicate.  I could probably come up with an XP desktop but I've nowhere to put it at the moment.  We've switched to all Mac laptops.  I was considering putting the DVR in the attic for ease of wiring (any concerns about temperature fluctuations?) otherwise I would run everything to the basement in expectation of eventually having a locked room and/or safe/cabinet to store it...

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't leave it in the attic - drop the wires from the attic into a closet if you can't get it to the basement.

If you use a PC based system you will either have to get a router with built in POE or run separate power to each camera.
NVR is the cheapest way to go.

As for the kit, those are all 4MM lens cameras.
The picture might be a little tight depending on where you put them, when you piece together a system you can go with a wider angle (2.8MM) if you need to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't leave it in the attic - drop the wires from the attic into a closet if you can't get it to the basement.

If you use a PC based system you will either have to get a router with built in POE or run separate power to each camera.
NVR is the cheapest way to go.

As for the kit, those are all 4MM lens cameras.
The picture might be a little tight depending on where you put them, when you piece together a system you can go with a wider angle (2.8MM) if you need to.
View Quote

You can also use a poe injector. Standard router, then poe  injector, the poe camera.

Poe switches are crazy expensive and very limited in features unless you see selling to pay lots.

Poe injector, 4 port, is around $15
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#8]
One other thing, if you don't want to use a computer, or add one later, the hikvision comes with built in software. You just have to go to each camera instead of a central monitoring system.

I have my hikvision using their built in software saving of to a NAS
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One other thing, if you don't want to use a computer, or add one later, the hikvision comes with built in software. You just have to go to each camera instead of a central monitoring system.

View Quote

I want to do something similar. I want to run 2 indoor cameras and have them save to a Nas drive, but also send alerts to my phone (text or email would be fine), any idea if this is possible?

ETA: I need the cameras to be wifi (can't run cat5 in this location).
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I want to do something similar. I want to run 2 indoor cameras and have them save to a Nas drive, but also send alerts to my phone (text or email would be fine), any idea if this is possible?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Same thing I do except mine are external cameras.

They do make hikvision wireless cameras. But I would always recommend going hardwired
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I rarely run more than 8-10 FPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need 30FPS.
Video gets choppy at 7FPS or lower. 10-20FPS is fine.

I rarely run more than 8-10 FPS.

I'm setting them up at 2FPS for continuous with 12FPS for events.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top