Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2015 7:01:49 PM EDT
Pretty cool new product - The Safe Cloak. Perfect easy solution for all those people previously posting about concerns with Gun Safes being located in the garage and them in view. Now they need other picture options.. Refrig, Tool Box, stuff on a shelf, etc.... Maybe inside versions for the wife pleasure in the living room:)

Saw them on-sale for Easter, well under 100 bucks on sale. Safe Cloak

Cool application of technology for solving a concern many have. Only downside I see is it is not a three sided product, a cheap purchase at the fabric store can supplement if needed.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Until it flaps in the wind when the intruders walk past it initially. Good concept but poor design IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it said it has a pocket sewn into the bottom with a pvc board in it to weight it down. Wouldn't that prevent flapping?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently saw one in person.  It doesn't look very real to me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Terrible product. Unlikely to look realistic to the human eye and only has a chance of working if viewed dead-on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Any thief worth beans would try to open a cabinet anyway, what's the point?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Up close it probably won't fool anyone. But from the street looking into a garage I don't think anyone would think twice

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have built cabinets around garage safes, for 100 bucks (or less) in material you have a realistic looking cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it was on here that someone hollowed out an old refrigerator and put it around his safe. It was really clever.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I wanted mine in the bedroom close but the Wife wasn't down with the Feng Shui of that until I hid it in a piece of furniture. She loves it now.

Closed

Open
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
You could just hang a shower curtain on it, and people would think there was a shower in the garage.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wanted mine in the bedroom close but the Wife wasn't down with the Feng Shui of that until I hid it in a piece of furniture. She loves it now.

Closed
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/icemann0/675.799_cabinet%201_zpsbonzin1i.jpg
Open
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/icemann0/718.6385_cabinet_zpsvctpxnte.jpg
View Quote

That looks great.  I am thinking of doing the same thing but in my garage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I just used some 2X2 as a frame and plywood to make my safe look like just another cheep white storage cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was forced to have my safe in a garage I put an old refridgerator box over it. And cut it so it opened like a door. The box was free. From the street people see a cardboard box and your house gets ignored. If someone did break in. Old fridge box in a garage? Not even going to bother touching it. The safe cloak is amsecs most useless product.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
This safe cloak is the cheesiest and dumbest looking security product I have seen in a while. I don't think it would fool Ray Charles.

---Aaron
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
In my part of the world you'd be better off tinting your garage windows. If you're up north, maybe the frosted film like they use on bathroom windows.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Even if the camouflage worked, the thief would investigate as a large cabinet like that in a garage probably contains expensive power tools.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Any thief worth beans would try to open a cabinet anyway, what's the point?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

In my part of the world you'd be better off tinting your garage windows. If you're up north, maybe the frosted film like they use on bathroom windows.
View Quote
Or tape up wax paper like I did.  Worked really well on my garage door windows. For normal windows the film is the way to go
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
or i can buy a $7 piece of particle board and make my own real wooden doors.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
To disguise it from the street when the door is open, I suppose it would work. When I was waiting for my safe to be installed inside, it was in the garage with an old parachute thrown over it. It doesn't take much to make a safe look like... well, NOT a safe.  Boxes, fridge, all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It probably looks realistic enough to fool bad guys cruising in cars peeking in garages looking for things to steal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Neat idea!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pretty cool new product - The Safe Cloak. Perfect easy solution for all those people previously posting about concerns with Gun Safes being located in the garage and them in view. Now they need other picture options.. Refrig, Tool Box, stuff on a shelf, etc.... Maybe inside versions for the wife pleasure in the living room:)

Saw them on-sale for Easter, well under 100 bucks on sale. Safe Cloak

Cool application of technology for solving a concern many have. Only downside I see is it is not a three sided product, a cheap purchase at the fabric store can supplement if needed.

View Quote

The box my safe came in was free and covers my safe. It sits next to a freezer and looks like the box the freezer came in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#26]
This is my safe concealer

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It probably looks realistic enough to fool bad guys cruising in cars peeking in garages looking for things to steal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the idea. It's merely a simple way to disguise your safe. The best security is not making yourself a target. If you must place a safe in an area that can be seen from a distance, this works pretty well. If you leave the back door of the garage open... and the wind is blowing, sure you're cover is blown as it flaps in the breeze. The weighted straight bar at the bottom does keep it pretty flat. If you have the where-for-all to make a better disguise, go ahead. You may even save some cash if you're handy. Believe it or not, it's selling like crazy. Sorry if some think this is stupid, but it's better than nothing. It's a simple, but unique idea.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in the process of building a cabinet for my safe to go in.  It's being built out of birch plywood that I'm going to paint to match the other cabinets in the garage.  It'll look like a big double door storage cabinet.  It will be fastened to the wall so from the side there is no space between the safe and the wall.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of building a cabinet for my safe to go in.  It's being built out of birch plywood that I'm going to paint to match the other cabinets in the garage.  It'll look like a big double door storage cabinet.  It will be fastened to the wall so from the side there is no space between the safe and the wall.
View Quote

Could you post pics when you're finished?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same thing, I bought four melamine panels apprx 18" W x 36" T, I built a "door" frame out of 1 x 3 lumber, painted the frame white, attached the four "doors" to the frame, then attached the frame to a 2 x 4 " and pegboard sided box built around the safe, sorry no pics, in came out great and looked like regular garage cabinets w/pegboard sides to hang tools, ext cords, etc..
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...but the Sturdy Safe brand safe-cloaker is made with PVC that's a whole 12mils thicker, the magnet fasteners are on the side so there's no weak linkages, it covers all six sides, and isn't UL rated, because the UL test is bullshit anyway.

Sorry, I had to do it.
View Quote

Most underrated post in the thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top