BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think he is trying to express that generally a change from a ul electric to a redundant lock (multiple methods of lock, electronic, key, dial, etc) isn't easy. I wanted to go from a standard electric to a redundant but couldn't find a keyed electric that would work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 So what lock would be the chosen to replace the NL lock, that is electronic and has a key? Thanks!  

If your safe has a lock with a key bypass, then it's usually not a simple job to swap locks.  UL rated locks are interchangeable because they share a basic dimensional size and bolt pattern.  If it's not a UL rated lock, then that mounting structure is typically not there, and in many cases, the bolt work of the safe will not easily accommodate the change.

It does not have the key to bypass.  It is the standard NL keypad.  I want to get a high quality electronic lock with key backup.

I think he is trying to express that generally a change from a ul electric to a redundant lock (multiple methods of lock, electronic, key, dial, etc) isn't easy. I wanted to go from a standard electric to a redundant but couldn't find a keyed electric that would work.

Understood now.  Did you just go with a higher grade electronic lock?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 So what lock would be the chosen to replace the NL lock, that is electronic and has a key? Thanks!  

If your safe has a lock with a key bypass, then it's usually not a simple job to swap locks.  UL rated locks are interchangeable because they share a basic dimensional size and bolt pattern.  If it's not a UL rated lock, then that mounting structure is typically not there, and in many cases, the bolt work of the safe will not easily accommodate the change.

It does not have the key to bypass.  It is the standard NL keypad.  I want to get a high quality electronic lock with key backup.

No. Grabbed the securam extreme, it is mechanical dial and electronic keypad redundant and fits in the standard footprint of my old electronic only lock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, got the securam extreme installed. There is a youtube video that does a great job of explaining the process. Only hitches I had was that the bar for the combo lock took a bit of force to get in (tight fit) and I had to drill a new hole in the relocker plate (pretty thin metal, a carbide bit went through like butter, 5/32" fit perfectly). I changed the manager code and disabled the secondary code as well as reset the dial lock. Works like a champ. I only have two little complaints, the first is that the dial is just a bit gritty, the second is that the light that illuminates the dial flickers as if the battery isn't making good contact. Overall, I give this thing a 9 out of 10, and I'm very pleased with the purchase. No more lock failure worries!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#4]
all I can think is to change the battery.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Swapped crappy Lagard electronic with a nice S&G mechanical.  Very satisfied with the result.  Locksmith agreed it was a good move.  He said the Lagards last 5 yrs, tops, then you're hosed.  The mechanical lock will probably out-live me.

Thank you again for your excellent advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Replacing an electronic lock or mechanical with another electronic lock is usually a fairly straightforward task.

Going from an electronic to a manual is a more difficult task... cutting the spline to the right length, setting the combo etc.

You are usually much better off with an experienced locksmith who can install it, set your combo and promptly forget it.  Trust me, an experienced and bonded locksmith deals with enough locks that they don't have the time, capacity or care to remember your combo.

Swapped crappy Lagard electronic with a nice S&G mechanical.  Very satisfied with the result.  Locksmith agreed it was a good move.  He said the Lagards last 5 yrs, tops, then you're hosed.  The mechanical lock will probably out-live me.

Thank you again for your excellent advice.

Did you DIY the swap or had a locksmith do it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Still to this day have not gotten resolution from Cannon. Avoid like the plague
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top