Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:11:26 AM EDT
I just bought a house. I have been making do without a safe because I didnt want to move it around. Now that I am getting settled in I need to figure something out. I am dedicating a bedroom for a gunroom.

My problem is that I have quite a few guns so I will need a couple big safes at least and I got to wondering if I should just make the whole gun room secure. If I went that way I would just build racks in my closet like you would see in a safe or gun store.

Would love to hear some ideas or opinions. I understand a safe would be a bit more secure. It is hard to be bitching about too many guns but it is a real problem I swear
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't know about such a problem.

Nope, not me...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... It is hard to be bitching about too many guns but it is a real problem I swear

I wouldn't know about such a problem.

Nope, not me...

It didn't hit me until I started moving in and consolidating stuff that I had crammed in various corners of the rental place
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get a safe for better fire protection over a gun room.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless your room has concrete walls and ceiling you're not going to make it secure from burglary or fire.  Buy the safe, and make it a good one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like you need insurance along with your safe/secure room.

I would not consider it a secure room until it had concrete on six sides.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just bought a house. I have been making do without a safe because I didnt want to move it around. Now that I am getting settled in I need to figure something out. I am dedicating a bedroom for a gunroom . . . .
View Quote

Will you secure the safe(s) to the wall and/or floor?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every time I price out insurance it is so expensive it's not worth it. Last time I checked I still had a 50 or two and they really pushed the premium up because of their value.

I realize the room wouldn't be bomb proof mostly looking to keep snatch and grabbers out as well as visiting kids and guests.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a house. I have been making do without a safe because I didnt want to move it around. Now that I am getting settled in I need to figure something out. I am dedicating a bedroom for a gunroom . . . .

Most likely. Never done so before but this is my first permanent residence and I will probably be here for a few years at least.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Every time I price out insurance it is so expensive it's not worth it. Last time I checked I still had a 50 or two and they really pushed the premium up because of their value.

I realize the room wouldn't be bomb proof mostly looking to keep snatch and grabbers out as well as visiting kids and guests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Call collect insure.  $100,000 in coverage will be around $500/yr if you have a large safe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thing I think a lot of people skip is how they conduct themselves. My safe is in my garage. In plain view. I didnt build a fridge or cabinet around it. I also don't leave my garage door open all day, or when I am out mowing the lawn or washing cars. I was this way before the safe. I have a 3 neighbors, so my streets quiet, with the exception of USPS, UPS, garbage man, etc. That said, I don't post on Facebook "HEY! WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND ON THESE DATES [xxx-xxx]"

My wife thinks I am wierd because when we have service calls from cable provider or other, I try and get the same person every time. Rather have that one person in my house each time, then new guy. Fewer people that are here the better. When she sells stuff on classified sites, I have her meet them away from our home.

The thread about the guy who went to Mexico and came home robbed, I truly believe he is the kind of guy to flaunt his lifestyle and someone he knew probably has his $200k worth of shit.

My point being- You can buy a huge safe, build a secure room but either of those just require time and opportunity to be compromised. Does you no good to invest in what you believe to be the "best" safe for your needs and budget and get the false pretense that gun safe = security.

And as Jaqufrost suggested, my To Do list for today includes getting insurance quotes from ArmsCare Plus and Collect Insure, as I found out my homeowner's policy covers firearms up to $2,500/per item, $10,000 total per claim.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with you. I am pretty picky on who I let in the house. I saw that thread too and believe that's how most of the thefts happen which is why I am not trying to build Fort Knox.

I will check into the insurance. That rate shown for 100k in coverage was much better than what I have been able to find in the past. One place wanted 150-200 bucks a month just to cover the barrett
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Collect insure is pretty easy to deal with.  They don't even require a list of firearms or serial numbers.  Any single firearm with a value over $5,000 needs to be listed.  Any matched pairs - or items that go together with a value over $5,000 together will need to be named.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a friend that lined his closet with 3/4 inch thick plywood as well as he reinforced the door jambs and placed a heavy fire door from a commercial building with two quality deadbolts.
Reasonably secure.

Edit to add...Even with a reasonably secure room I still would want a safes(s).
More security layers as well as better fire protection.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Collect insure is pretty easy to deal with.  They don't even require a list of firearms or serial numbers.  Any single firearm with a value over $5,000 needs to be listed.  Any matched pairs - or items that go together with a value over $5,000 together will need to be named.
View Quote

This is who I am going with. ArmsCare Plus was the same as going through my regular insurance provider. And nothing really specific about firearms. Collect Insure asked alot about my security already, so I felt like they're taking into account the fact I store them securely, etc. And they came in at half the price. Helps I dont have anything over $5,000.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top