Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 10:01:57 PM EDT
Been living in a craphole for a while where the only safe I could use is a Dakota that I could get in the (small) door in pieces.  I have nothing but good things to say about this safe, it does it's job splendidly, as designed.  Obviously it's not the best safe, but it's better than hiding guns in the closet.

Now I am working on buying a bigger place, and I (will) have an entire unfinished, dry basement to work with.

... I have a few questions.  

The biggest question I think I have is how much weight can a standard 2x12 basement stairs hold?  Looking at the weights of some of the better safes, it's hard to imagine that my stairs would survive getting the safe down.  As a practical consideration, I have a straight shot from my garage, up 2 concrete steps through a doorway, across a concrete floor, up another concrete step, through a second doorway, across 4' of hardwood covered by linoleum, then down the 2x12 stairs, so getting a safe in shouldn't be terribly difficult except for the weight on the stairs.  

The other option might be multiple smaller safes bolted to each other and the wall/floor depending on the layout.

Other than that, I have a clean slate, I am fairly handy, and I have 2 son in laws and 2 cousins that are all pro carpenters, so all I have to do is decide what I want.  I think one thing I am going to want is to integrate a bench and computer desk so that I can do something like pull up a disassembly video on the PC and follow along on the workbench, or maybe reloading data for my latest wildcat, for example.  I really like the dual safe layout on that PAFOA forum (linked from here), but I have much more space to work with and think I will be building as much as I possibly can into the walls.  Shelves, cabinets, benches, etc. If I do it right, the only moveable items will be the stools and chairs.  I also think I am going to want everything a few inches up off the ground, just in case I do find some water, but otherwise...

So, I need to come up with plans, ideas, dumb ideas, you name it.  I have the opportunity to build damn near anything, so arfcom, help me out...

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not build a hardened gun room in the basement?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Structural considerations aside......

You'll be limited to about 1,000 pounds if you want to move it down there economically.  That's what most common stair machines will handle.  Weight is not an issue if you want to go to the expense of doing so.  To give you an idea, a simple set of stairs with a 1,000 pound (or less) safe runs around $374 around here.  We moved an 1,800 pound safe down a set of stairs a few months ago, and had to rig it.  His bill was closer to $3,000.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

This, if you can't find somewhere upstairs to put it. Down a flight of stairs and back is a long way in a time of need.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The hardened gunroom would be cool, but I am not building, I am buying, and I am not really keen on pouring additional concrete...  More importantly, I am aiming more for a man cave with a safe (or 2) than a panic room or a vault.  Part of why I am moving is I to go from a "transitional" neighborhood to a quieter, better neighborhood.  The safe is only part of my requirements, I have almost 1500 square feet to work with down there

The "at need" tools will be more "accessible" upstairs, and realistically, my existing Dakota safe is probably going to start out upstairs so I don't have to work around it when I am remodeling.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the idea of two safes bolted together, especially when they won't fit through a doorway or stairway combined.

You could also setup the dakota as a decoy safe with the hopes that a thief would just pick it up and leave.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI. Build an awesome gun safe room.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like the idea of two safes bolted together, especially when they won't fit through a doorway or stairway combined.

You could also setup the dakota as a decoy safe with the hopes that a thief would just pick it up and leave.
View Quote

In my current house, the Dakota is bolted to the floor and 2 walls, and had limited access for long tools.  I know it's not perfect, but it's not a homak cabinet either.  I am not protecting against professional safe crackers, I am protecting against smash and grab and meth heads.  and relying on the professional safe crackers sense of professionalism...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I just found a product that I know I want in my safe:
Power outlet plus USB and Ethernet!

In fact I need to figure out how to retrofit it to my existing safe...
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top