Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 11:43:09 AM EDT
Please bear with me as I'm sure this has been beat to death.  I'm getting a safe soon and it will be out in an insulated garage and wondering what I should be putting inside to keep everything safe(mold and rust).  Is the goldenrod the best option?  Can I use more than one even though one fits the cubic inch requirement or just under it?  Would it be a good idea to get one of those large desiccant cans or This.  Would be having both of those be good idea?  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The goldenrod heats up the air/moisture so it won't condensate on your guns and the dehumidifier will remove the moisture.
Many will use both depending on their environment.
Amazon looks to have the exact model you're looking at for a $5 savings.
http://www.amazon.com/SPAD-100-Wireless-Rechargeable-Dehumidifier-Long-Gun/dp/B001F0IH22/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425138517&sr=8-4&keywords=Rechargeable+Silica+Gel+Desiccant+Dehumidifier
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a side room in the basement of my old house. When it rained hard it would have 2 inches of standing water. I had my gun vault above the "waterline" on pavers.  The room flooded several times in the 4 years I lived there.

I used a goldenrod in that vault and never had a problem with rust.  Additionally, this was in a state that often had high humidity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The goldenrod heats up the air/moisture so it won't condensate on your guns and the dehumidifier will remove the moisture.
http://www.amazon.com/SPAD-100-Wireless-Rechargeable-Dehumidifier-Long-Gun/dp/B001F0IH22/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425138517&sr=8-4&keywords=Rechargeable+Silica+Gel+Desiccant+Dehumidifier
View Quote

Thank you.  Would it be ok to put ammo and ceramic plates in a safe with those two things?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a side room in the basement of my old house. When it rained hard it would have 2 inches of standing water. I had my gun vault above the "waterline" on pavers.  The room flooded several times in the 4 years I lived there.

I used a goldenrod in that vault and never had a problem with rust.  Additionally, this was in a state that often had high humidity.
View Quote

Good to know, thank you. My garage can get a little water but just enough to cover the cement.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammo is not a problem, I know no reason to be concerned about a set of plates.
It does not heat the interior where you can notice, the unit just will feel warm to the touch.

Quoted:

Thank you.  Would it be ok to put ammo and ceramic plates in a safe with those two things?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It does not heat the interior where you can notice, the unit just will feel warm to the touch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thank you.  Is there anything that shouldn't be kept in the safe?  Other than things that need to breath?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I would never voluntarily store my guns somewhere that there are 60 degree temperature swings and comparable humidity swings.

Make every effort to get the safe into a conditioned space.

If it's simply not possible, the golden rod system will be the most reliable option. There has been some discussion on whether its good / bad to have both golden rod as well as desiccant in the same safe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Couple things...

-Would definitely recommend using a decent size Goldenrod if you are putting it in the garage.

-I would also use a desiccant device in the safe like you mentioned, but for the same price, you can get a much larger version at Amazon Eva Dry 500 The Stack on is just a rebrand of this. Even this larger size will likely need to be recharged every 2 weeks.  Also, you may may want to get a digital hydrometer to know the relative humidity in your safe.  Available for <$15 on amazon/ebay.

-Since you are placing it in the garage that gets moisture on the floor, DON'T place the safe directly on the concrete.  Place the safe on something like this DRIcore available at Home Depot to keep it directly off the moisture.

-Be sure to bolt that safe down.  They are much easier to more than people realize.

-I would seriously recommend you disguise your safe inside a cabinet, or even behind boxes to keep people from seeing it from the street.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Couple things...

-Would definitely recommend using a decent size Goldenrod if you are putting it in the garage.

-I would also use a desiccant device in the safe like you mentioned, but for the same price, you can get a much larger version at Amazon Eva Dry 500 The Stack on is just a rebrand of this. Even this larger size will likely need to be recharged every 2 weeks.  Also, you may may want to get a digital hydrometer to know the relative humidity in your safe.  Available for <$15 on amazon/ebay.

-Since you are placing it in the garage that gets moisture on the floor, DON'T place the safe directly on the concrete.  Place the safe on something like this DRIcore available at Home Depot to keep it directly off the moisture.

-Be sure to bolt that safe down.  They are much easier to more than people realize.

-I would seriously recommend you disguise your safe inside a cabinet, or even behind boxes to keep people from seeing it from the street.
View Quote

So would you recommend two Goldenrods to be safe or can I over do it?  
I was just looking at the hydrometers.  What should the numbers be at in the safe?  
I will definitely get those DRIcore things.      
For bolting down do you just use any concrete lag bolts or is there some special bolts I should use?
Funny that you mentioned disguising the safe, I was thinking of building a faux cabinet but I live in the boondocks and where I'm going to place the safe you would never see it unless you were in the garage. It's a rather large complex garage.

Thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ceramic plates sure.  I wouldn't store ammo in the safe, not due to corrosion concerns but because of risk of cook-off in a fire, which would damage the very guns you're trying to protect.

Edited for grammar
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ceramic plates sure.  I wouldn't store ammo in the safe, not due to corrosion concerns but because of risk of cook-off in a fire, which would damage the very guns your trying to protect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ceramic plates sure.  I wouldn't store ammo in the safe, not due to corrosion concerns but because of risk of cook-off in a fire, which would damage the very guns your trying to protect.

Good point. I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]

I am about to put my safes in the garage as well but I was thinking of sitting them up on hockey pucks.  Cheaper than the flooring you listed but perhaps not as good.  I was thinking of one hockey puck per corner of each safe.  Anyone use hockey pucks for this?  Not my idea I read somewhere that another guy did this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So would you recommend two Goldenrods to be safe or can I over do it?  One should be sufficient.  The rod is basically just a heating rod. You just want to keep the temperature inside the safe a few degrees warmer than the temperature outside the safe to prevent condensation from forming inside the safe.
I was just looking at the hydrometers.  What should the numbers be at in the safe?  Optimum relative humidity should be somewhere between 45%-55% (give or take a few) Too dry will dry out wood  and cause cracking.  Too moist will obviously cause rust.
For bolting down do you just use any concrete lag bolts or is there some special bolts I should use? Couple of options, but go with something 1/2" diameter and use a large washer on the inside to keep the bolt head from pulling through.  I like drop in expansion anchors such as Red Head (RL-12 or CL-12).  1/2" Tapcon anchors will also work well (if you use appropriate bit). If you use a wedge anchor with the wedge attached to the stud, then if you ever have to move the safe you'll have to lift the safe up over the studs if that makes sense.  
Funny that you mentioned disguising the safe, I was thinking of building a faux cabinet but I live in the boondocks and where I'm going to place the safe you would never see it unless you were in the garage. It's a rather large complex garage.  I still like the while "Out of sight, out of mind" if someone does break into the garage, especially if no neighbors are near to keep an eye out for you. You can always add the cabinet later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couple things...

So would you recommend two Goldenrods to be safe or can I over do it?  One should be sufficient.  The rod is basically just a heating rod. You just want to keep the temperature inside the safe a few degrees warmer than the temperature outside the safe to prevent condensation from forming inside the safe.
I was just looking at the hydrometers.  What should the numbers be at in the safe?  Optimum relative humidity should be somewhere between 45%-55% (give or take a few) Too dry will dry out wood  and cause cracking.  Too moist will obviously cause rust.
For bolting down do you just use any concrete lag bolts or is there some special bolts I should use? Couple of options, but go with something 1/2" diameter and use a large washer on the inside to keep the bolt head from pulling through.  I like drop in expansion anchors such as Red Head (RL-12 or CL-12).  1/2" Tapcon anchors will also work well (if you use appropriate bit). If you use a wedge anchor with the wedge attached to the stud, then if you ever have to move the safe you'll have to lift the safe up over the studs if that makes sense.  
Funny that you mentioned disguising the safe, I was thinking of building a faux cabinet but I live in the boondocks and where I'm going to place the safe you would never see it unless you were in the garage. It's a rather large complex garage.  I still like the while "Out of sight, out of mind" if someone does break into the garage, especially if no neighbors are near to keep an eye out for you. You can always add the cabinet later.

Congrats on your purchase
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am about to put my safes in the garage as well but I was thinking of sitting them up on hockey pucks.  Cheaper than the flooring you listed but perhaps not as good.  I was thinking of one hockey puck per corner of each safe.  Anyone use hockey pucks for this?  Not my idea I read somewhere that another guy did this.
View Quote

Pucks will work, but they leave a large gap under the safe for someone to put a pry bar or to reach your anchors.  If you do use pucks, add one at each bolt hole (drill a hole in the puck) as well as the corners.  Stall mats work well under the safe I hear also.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couple things...

Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I run 2 golden rods and 2 of the Eva dry things.  In the summer with AC going my safe gets to about 60% humidity.

Edit...Its in my basement.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I run 2 golden rods and 2 of the Eva dry things.  In the summer with AC going my safe gets to about 60% humidity.

View Quote

So if you could have two of one of those and only one of the other which way would be better?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So if you could have two of one of those and only one of the other which way would be better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the golden rod because its maintenance free.  In the garage will be hard on things - I suggest getting 1 goldenrod and an indicator for monitoring.  Just see what happens, if you need extras then add as needed.  

I have a feeling that you will need more.  A couple weeks ago it was 9 degs in my insulated and attached garage.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Goldenrod keeps moisture from condensing in the safe. As long as the temperature stays warmer inside the safe than the environment surrounding the safe, then condensation doesn't form inside.  A Goldenrod will not remove any moisture from inside, and one rod should suffice.  The EvaDry actually removes moisture from the safe. I'd choose 2 of the large EvaDry brand units.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
My Goldenrod is probably close to 20 years old and is still doing the job.  Dri-rod is another brand to consider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top