Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
A few months back the power supply on my Linux based BNC camera system at my shop shit the bed. I took it as a sign to ditch the old analog ways and decided to go with all IP cameras. Also we closed on another building for storage two streets down with roofs that are in direct line of sight of each other, so I planed on tieing in the second building into the same 16ch NVR.

I began pulling all the old analog coax/power cable and replaced it all with solid copper Cat6 and ran a few other lines to new locations. I currently have 6 cams up and running (Five 3MP & One 5MP), & another 3 are still set aside for this building. Additionally I have run a cat6 line up through the access to the roof for the Ubiquiti wireless bridge to aim at the other building about 200yrds away. That building will get an additional 7 cameras to complete the 16ch capacity of my NVR.

I ran though one rough draft when terminating the cat6 lines on the data/telephone panel and decided on a new location for the POE router to allow more room for the wall outlet router down below on the panel. I think I did a decent job considering I learned how to terminate Cat6 just for this project.

I will update this thread as things get added.

Pictures of what I've got so far.

Most cameras on this building are 3mp box in weatherproof housings.

Rough Draft (1st location of POE Router)

Location of NVR (underside of the wrap around back portion of my desk)

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Final POE router location

NVR has a HDMI output that I split to the 3 TVs in the office areas, this is the one in my office.

Progress as I was setting up

One of my workers close to the camera, detail is amazing. (Resolution is reduced for the 1080 TV)

View from Phone

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's VERY nicely done... if you did that all yourself, that's one of the most outstanding DIY efforts I've ever seen.

Seriously.

View Quote
Thanks! Yup all myself, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Plus the OCD has somewhere to go in a project like this

A few more pictures...

Ipad Screen Cap

The Ubiquiti wireless bridge (1 of 2)

Finishing up the POE router

Prepping the storage building down the street., pressure washing & painting

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Which ubiquiti bridges are you using?  Do they have the bandwidth to carry those streams?
View Quote
They should,

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice.

Where are you getting the shielded rj45 terminals?

how's the night viewing?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What cameras? They looks like Axis.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice.

Where are you getting the shielded rj45 terminals?

how's the night viewing?
View Quote

Are you asking about the blue covers over the connector end?    Those are strain relief boots

OP.   The Nano station radios are great.   setup properly and with line of sight you can easily exceed a 10/100 port.   If you have any specific questions let me know.  I'm pretty good with them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What brand of cams/DVR did you go with?
View Quote
I pretty much got all the equipment from a local place to me securitycameraking. Being new to this if I had a problem I wanted them to be local.

Went with their "Elite" 16ch NVR w/o POE

The cameras in the housings are their 3mp box and one 5mp

Front door gate camera is a small pan tilt dome (that I mounted upside down and need to invert)

The remaining cameras for this building will be another pan tilt dome for inside the warehouse facing the entrance of both bay doors, and an auto tracking PTZ for the corner of the building.

Couple pictures of how I ran the Cat6 through the rafters of the building, and into the storage/IT equipment room. 20' ceilings

Zoomed from ground level

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Put the 50" 120hz TV I had in my office upstairs for view of the cameras when working in the A/Ced storage area where we keep all our inventory that needs to stay in low humidity.

HDMI leads downstairs to the NVR's HDMI splitter

New 55" 240hz Samsung to mount in my office once I find those damn shorter screws I had for the wall mount. Worse case I'll cut the screws I have down to proper length.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Professional-level work.
View Quote
Thanks! I'm trying my best to do a kick ass job. I learned some lessons putting in the analog system in this building over 5 years ago.

I got the TV upstairs up and running and finished up the power cables for the panel. Battery backup claims it can run everything, Phones, cameras, modem & even the TV for 77 mins.

Anchored in the power cord as best I could, so there is no chance of working themselves loose down the road.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice install
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Isn't it?

Neatness counts... That's nicer than my systems.  

(Careful, OP... Somebody is going to offer you a job . )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very nice install

Isn't it?

Neatness counts... That's nicer than my systems.  

(Careful, OP... Somebody is going to offer you a job . )
Thanks Guys. Been working mostly at the other building but today I finished up the POE router by adding the last cat6 and ran it into the warehouse for the interior PT dome.

The only thing left now on the panel is the wall outlet router I need to clean up and fix the shorts the last IT guy we paid left for me to find.

The other building is coming along nicely, paint, new garage door w/ opener

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Looks great

What software are you running for the cameras?  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Looks great

View Quote
Thanks
? it's the Linux based system in the NVR from a local supplier. I linked it in an earlier post.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks? it's the Linux based system in the NVR from a local supplier. I linked it in an earlier post.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great

Thanks? it's the Linux based system in the NVR from a local supplier. I linked it in an earlier post.  

thanks completely overlooked that.  I typically use ZoneMinder or BlueIris depending but your setup looks outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't updated any new camera system work because the outside of the office area in the new building was looking a little ratty as you can see from the upper pictures. So I made a small project out of it this last couple weeks refacing it with some hardie board and 1x6s.

Now all the walls have been painted I can start lining up the zip tie holders around the perimeter to hold the cat6 & alarm wire.

Blah

Much better

I've got 100 of these to get lined up a foot apart

ETA: actually the epoxy floor needs to go down first, tile red w/clear top coat.

(Internet image)

And the office trim will get a matching red on the 1x6 trim.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Too. Many. Zip Ties.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Too. Many. Zip Ties.

Looks great!
View Quote
No such thing

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Picked up the cameras for the new building today

Three of these varifocal 3MP IR Bullets

Two of these 2MP PTZs for the interior cam of each building, and a third with a wall mount and neck for the front of the new building.

And two of these 2MP for the front and back door of the new building.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Those PTZs are Dahua.  I actually have one of those deployed right now.  

Use the H.264 setting.  The MJPEG setting caused weird artifacts on the video for me.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. They appear to be very well made for the price, and the sample videos looked great.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Been a bit busy with the other building. Mini Split A/C install, had the floor ground by a pro, and have been repairing the drywall in the office.

I did get the interior PTZ up and running in my office building. After deciding to upgrade to a PTZ that required a POE+ I had to buy a POE+ injector to keep it clean, and run off the same battery backup.

The progress on the building...

Concrete

A/C compressor

LED ceiling lights came in

POE+ injector install

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I finished up redoing the wall outlet router. Previous IT guy left 3 of 8 with shorts....

The new building had the concrete degreased today and will be epoxied & cleared by the weekend. Then by Wednesday of next week it will be able to handle my manlift so I can start running the cat6 and alarm wires.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The night performance of that PTZ is quite good, BTW.  Consider throwing an area-coverage IR illuminator inside that building... I think you will be pleased.  
View Quote
Thanks, I just recently bought 4 IR illuminator a for the exterior gate area. I have been looking for a 12v/2amp multi power supply. All the 12v multi power supplies I am finding aren't 2amp per.

What wide angle IR illuminators would you use for the interior? Mounted 20' off the ground.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
After painting the floor, assembling the cabinets, and setting up the racks I finally have some time to run the cat6 at the new building. With no rafters in this building I had no where to tuck the wires in so I drilled and set a zip tie saddle every foot to make a nice "harness" of it all.

I will be finishing up running this section tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Very detailed work.

Why not a conduit or chase?  Would make replacement easier which might be necessary if the shelving or contents crimps/nicks a drop?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Very detailed work.

Why not a conduit or chase?  Would make replacement easier which might be necessary if the shelving or contents crimps/nicks a drop?
View Quote
Thanks. I considered that, as I have some at the other building but find it annoying since I will be picking up additions lines as it moves down the wall. I will always be the only person loading or unloading these racks. Also these are long term storage with little movement once loaded.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome job.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Finished up this section, almost killed a big bag of 500 zip ties.

That is alarm wire I ran in the harness for a couple motion sensor & back door sensor

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally I was going to run all the cat6 into the office and mount it all to a panel on the wall like the other building. But I realized I have a "Black Box"  Hazard Location electronic cabinet that would be perfect for this. Instead of running the A/c in the office on low 24/7 I can just let the cabinet keep the POE router, Battery Backup and this building wifi router perfectly climate controlled.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Good work.   Neatness factor x 10.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Digging the amount of zip ties used.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks Guys,
Finally installed the new TV I had for my office, it looks pretty nice, and gives me a big view of the cameras. Perfect for when I have my Redneck Pod Racer in the parking lot.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That's a BIG engine... what did that come out of?
View Quote
That is a LM5000 industrial ground turbine. Very similar to a CF6
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Originally I was going to run all the cat6 into the office and mount it all to a panel on the wall like the other building. But I realized I have a "Black Box"  Hazard Location electronic cabinet that would be perfect for this. Instead of running the A/c in the office on low 24/7 I can just let the cabinet keep the POE router, Battery Backup and this building wifi router perfectly climate controlled.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/4a8e0f4c3e2539ed2b6e832a33284cc3_zpsf7b513ee.jpg

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/7bd77ed8590f9f075edb20feda8dcbbe_zps862502c8.jpg

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/6464945f341418e5137b6076ce43f016_zpsedf6a465.jpg

View Quote

Impressive.

Micro climate for your gear.... very cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice build!  What type of hard drives di you put in the NVR and did you fill all four drive bays?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Impressive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/4a8e0f4c3e2539ed2b6e832a33284cc3_zpsf7b513ee.jpg

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/7bd77ed8590f9f075edb20feda8dcbbe_zps862502c8.jpg

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/VrodRay/6464945f341418e5137b6076ce43f016_zpsedf6a465.jpg

Impressive.

Thanks. It should work perfectly. It came in on a load of inventory we purchase a few years ago, and never had a use for it and never sold it. I tested it for a couple weeks awhile back, when the temp inside hits 80 it drops it to 75 then shuts off until it is back to 80 again.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Nice build!  What type of hard drives di you put in the NVR and did you fill all four drive bays?
View Quote
I only have 2 slots filled right now, with 4TB drives for 8TB total. I will add two more 4TB drives in the additional slots once all 16ch are up and running.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Back from my business trip, and got the majority of the LED lights up. Holy shit what a difference.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top