Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
I'm quickly realizing that additional lighting (IR or white) is a necessity for my situation.

With that said, what is the best approach to wiring for low voltage? Is it better to have one large Power supply centrally located and distribute from there? Or should I run individual power supplies for each relative area?

My main concern with a central PS is the voltage loss over the ~100-150' between point A and B on opposite sides of the house (or so I've read). On the other hand, individual PS wouldn't be fun either.  This will all be in the attic, so hardwiring and enclosure is a must.

As far as IR Illum:  Are there are sources out there that determine throw/spread of all the various options? Or should I just buy a handful and see what works?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
One central power supply is the route to go, it makes trouble shooting a lot  easier.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One central power supply is the route to go, it makes trouble shooting a lot  easier.
View Quote

This is true.    What is your worry about voltage drop?  Make sure your power conductors are sized for the load.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't place it in a attic, the heat during the summer months will fry the PS. A simple wall fish is easy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't place it in a attic, the heat during the summer months will fry the PS. A simple wall fish is easy.
View Quote

A simple wall fish, yes. A fish through fire blocks in this old house, not so much!

I suppose I could put it in the network closet...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
look for a "CCTV" power supply that supports your required voltage and has individually fused outputs.   Then home run to each device
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top