Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 3:16:22 PM EDT
In the market for a new safe.
Planning for the buy once cry once and buy it big enough game.
Looking mostly at safes in the preferably 72x40x25-30 range. May consider a 60in model as well.
No basement and no suitable first floor location so it will be anchored to the floor in my large garage. (Will probably build an enclosure around the safe for op-sec purposes and to likely place more drywall around the exterior)
I'm in ID so humidity isn't much of a factor but will use the rechargeable Eva-dry units
Budget is $1500-2300

I've looked around locally and here is what I've found for options.

#1 Local safe and gun shop has a Chinese speced safe Brahma/Dakota B-50 safe. Claimed 60 min 1200F fire rating. 1000lb 72x40x26. Their old photocopied spec sheet says 10 guage all the way around. Decent entry level lagard mech lock. No door organizer. (I'm a bit suspect of the 10 gauge steel though, I've seen these chinese safes marketed under Brahma,Black Diamond, Dakota, and other house brands as some 10 guage, most 11 gauge and some as 12 gauge.) Looking at $1500 + a couple hundred for delivery

#2 Bighorn 7144 currently $1599 delivered from Costco. 71x44x26. 3mm steel (11 gauge) door organizer 70 min @ 1200F claimed fire rating. Import safe Seems to be decent build quality I've handed one locally. Has a UL listed Seccu-Ram dig lock. Would replace with a Mech lock likely.

#3 Liberty  Colonial 50 or possibly a regular Fatboy. Both are 11 gauge safes. From Liberty's spec sheet they have the same steel and fireboard but liberty lists the Fatboy and Franklin as 75 minute safe vs 60 min for the colonial. The Fatboy would have better fabric and bigger and more bolts but that all marketing.  Would probably prefer the 72in model. Cost probably $2100 for a colonial 50

#4 Rhino R 7042. US made 72x42x27. Local company but no local dealers with a good price.  1/8in Body (11gauge) 1/4 Plate door.  60 Min fire rating @ 1200F. S&G UL listed Mech lock. Likely more pry resistant that the other options with a plate vs composite door. Fire rating who knows based on interior dimensions probably slightly thinner than the liberty options. I like that its external hinged with a plate door and US made but it would likely be $2300-2500

Anything else I'm missing.
(Not interested in a Sturdy, I think their steel is great but in the size I'm looking not economically feasible and their fireproofing doesn't fit what I want)
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
In before everyone starts recommending the $4,000 safes when you said between $1,500-$2,300.

Your posts sounds like my exact situation.  I have held off for over a year because it does not seem like you can get a solid "Apples to Apples" comparison of these safes.

One thing I would do, is try to get specs on the actual fire protection.  That way, if both safes have 2" of sheetrock on all 6 sides, then you can see right through any fire rating BS that someone is selling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Gander has the Liberty Franklin 27 on sale right now, 75 min fire rating, $1499.00, if a store is local to you they will ship it there.  Or to your house for $250, I just bought one, got the $1499 sale price and used code JINGLE15 and they took another $225 off, so $1275 shipped to store.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the market for a new safe.
Planning for the buy once cry once and buy it big enough game.
Looking mostly at safes in the preferably 72x40x25-30 range. May consider a 60in model as well.
No basement and no suitable first floor location so it will be anchored to the floor in my large garage. (Will probably build an enclosure around the safe for op-sec purposes and to likely place more drywall around the exterior)
I'm in ID so humidity isn't much of a factor but will use the rechargeable Eva-dry units
Budget is $1500-2300

I've looked around locally and here is what I've found for options.

#1 Local safe and gun shop has a Chinese speced safe Brahma/Dakota B-50 safe. Claimed 60 min 1200F fire rating. 1000lb 72x40x26. Their old photocopied spec sheet says 10 guage all the way around. Decent entry level lagard mech lock. No door organizer. (I'm a bit suspect of the 10 gauge steel though, I've seen these chinese safes marketed under Brahma,Black Diamond, Dakota, and other house brands as some 10 guage, most 11 gauge and some as 12 gauge.) Looking at $1500 + a couple hundred for delivery

#2 Bighorn 7144 currently $1599 delivered from Costco. 71x44x26. 3mm steel (11 gauge) door organizer 70 min @ 1200F claimed fire rating. Import safe Seems to be decent build quality I've handed one locally. Has a UL listed Seccu-Ram dig lock. Would replace with a Mech lock likely.

#3 Liberty  Colonial 50 or possibly a regular Fatboy. Both are 11 gauge safes. From Liberty's spec sheet they have the same steel and fireboard but liberty lists the Fatboy and Franklin as 75 minute safe vs 60 min for the colonial. The Fatboy would have better fabric and bigger and more bolts but that all marketing.  Would probably prefer the 72in model. Cost probably $2100 for a colonial 50

#4 Rhino R 7042. US made 72x42x27. Local company but no local dealers with a good price.  1/8in Body (11gauge) 1/4 Plate door.  60 Min fire rating @ 1200F. S&G UL listed Mech lock. Likely more pry resistant that the other options with a plate vs composite door. Fire rating who knows based on interior dimensions probably slightly thinner than the liberty options. I like that its external hinged with a plate door and US made but it would likely be $2300-2500

Anything else I'm missing.
(Not interested in a Sturdy, I think their steel is great but in the size I'm looking not economically feasible and their fireproofing doesn't fit what I want)
View Quote

Liberty is on your list but you need to step up to the Franklin 50.  Its still well within your price range and better finished and options than the Colonial.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Liberty also has the ARFCOM rebate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liberty also has the ARFCOM rebate.
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were to buy a Liberty which I won't I would go with the Franklin over the Colonial as the door is more reinforced.
By the way the Fat Boy is a Franklin but is just a wider and shorter version of the Franklin 50.
Of the others you mentioned the American made Rhino would get my attention because they are using plate steel for the door and that is so much better than those built up flex-o-matic refrigerator doors used on way too many gun safes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ryan VanOrden
Sales Director
Fort Knox Vaults
1800-821-5216 x105

Call him. I got a serious discounted quote price. Tell him pumbaajk sent you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ryan VanOrden
Sales Director
Fort Knox Vaults
1800-821-5216 x105

View Quote

I wish I would of called and got a price before I ordered my BF7240.  With all the added steel the Dallas Fort Knox dealer wanted a fortune.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The rebate offers expired, see link on bottom on this page..
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.gunsafes.com/Browning-Gun-Safes.html

Found this company on this forum. Bought my Canon safe from them. Spent the extra on their Gold delivery service, where they bring the vault upstairs and set it up for you. Well worth the money and the headache saved.

Highly recommend them
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Browning are on their opening page, but they handle most of the major brands.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wish I would of called and got a price before I ordered my BF7240.  With all the added steel the Dallas Fort Knox dealer wanted a fortune.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ryan VanOrden
Sales Director
Fort Knox Vaults
1800-821-5216 x105

We talked on the phone for over 30 minutes. I am still trying to figure out which size and layout I want. I am designing a home right now and I will be buying one of their vault doors. Not sure I want to drop $2k+ safe and then add a $7k vault door within a year or so.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been doing a bit more digging and I'm leaning pretty strongly towards a Rhino R Series.
Called around and got a delivered quote for the 7142 a couple hundred off of the advertised prices I've seen

Only other safe I'm really looking at would be Sun Welding Co Pony express in 71x40x28 or the 72x40x28. 1/4 inch plate door and 10 gauge body. These are nice USA made safes from what I can tell but by the time you up the fireboard add a door organizer and interior carpeting I'm looking at 2200-2600 for the bigger 50 in wide model.  That trim level gets you gloss paint but I don't think its really necessary for a garage safe.

The other semi local option would be a Heritage Centenial series but I'm looking at $2700 for a 43in wide model.

I'd  love a BF72x40 but that's out-kicking my coverage.

From what I've seen of the liberty safes their fit and finish is nice but unless your shelling out 5K plus your not getting anything more than 11gauge steel and a "Thick" composite door.

I think a quality USA made safe with 1/4 plate door will have to do for me. It will be $400 or so more than the Costco Bighorn 7144 but should be better long term I think. Anybody have a Rhino safe?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are anywhere near Nampa, Check out D&B Supply. They carry the scratch and dent Rhinos out of the factory. I got a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you looked at Steelwater safes?  I'm looking at their 45 gun safe (72"x42"x28") with a 2 hour fire rating  and 9 ga body for $2,450.  Delivery to your garage is free...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top