Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 8:00:51 AM EDT
I just purchased 4 hikvision 2032 cameras to use on the exterior of my home.  First image is satellite of the property.  Second image is where I can easily pull cat5 to run my cameras via PoE.  The cameras I bought have the 4mm lens.  Does this look like an acceptable layout?  Specifically, I wonder about the front door.  There is no easy way to get a camera right above the front door.  Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of difficult to offer advice based on a aerial shot, but you could move the camera in the lower left  closer to the one in the upper left to get  better coverage of your vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kind of difficult to offer advice based on a aerial shot, but you could move the camera in the lower left  closer to the one in the upper left to get  better coverage of your vehicle.
View Quote

Yeah, I was afraid this would be tough to tell from the angle.  Satellite caught my vehicle there, although it is in the garage about 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like that would work - but you have blind spots.
Hopefully you bought an 8-channel NVR so you can add more later.
You can run an extra wire to the corners to add more cameras later.
As for the front door, if you can't get it through the attic you could always run it under the siding and/or behind the rain gutters.

I would also look into 2.8MM cameras if you are going to add more.
I found the 4MM to be a little tight/narrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like that would work - but you have blind spots.
Hopefully you bought an 8-channel NVR so you can add more later.
You can run an extra wire to the corners to add more cameras later.
As for the front door, if you can't get it through the attic you could always run it under the siding and/or behind the rain gutters.

I would also look into 2.8MM cameras if you are going to add more.
I found the 4MM to be a little tight/narrow.
View Quote

The North East side of the house has no entry points or windows, so I should be good on that side.  I'm also going to add 2-3 cameras inside the house to fortify coverage.

I ordered IP cameras and I'm going to build my DVR.  Planning to run the ExacqVision software.  I have an extra machine running 7 professional.  I just bought a 2T drive for it, and it will be housed in my 'audio closet'.  Kind of cool, no screen or keyboard connected to it, so it kind of just looks like an old box sitting there.  I just use RDP to connect to it from my other PC.  

Yeah, I wanted 2.8mm lens, but found a "steal" on some hikvision 2032s.  I hope they send what was advertised.  Supposedly, NIB for $48 shipped, so I ordered 4 of them.  We'll see if they even get here or if I have to pay special duty taxes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
you can put up dummy cameras anywhere you need a real one but cant yet reach.

you'll still be blind of course,but the bad guys wont know that.

if its  real worry spot, a game came can offer some coverage in the mean time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top