BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2014 12:40:45 PM EDT
I was looking into a safe for the back of my Rav-4
Requirements would be:
Contain (1) 16" Carbine w/ optics
Hold at least (10) 30 round mags
Thin profile, but I understand it will need padding
Mountable, but not under the back seats, needs to be in cargo area.
Prefer biometric lock, but will accept a key.

The few I saw from Googling were either way too expensive, over built or took up the majority of the back.

Not too sure of fire protection (dont care if the rifle melts) but the ammo will be right over the fuel tank.

I have the ability to fabricate one, but not sure of biometric lock availability/ease and the need or a way to fire proof/resist.

Any thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You and me both.  There doesn't seem to be a good option on my 3rd gen Rav.  Especially because I keep a variety of things in the cargo area, and emergency supplies fill the area under the floorboard.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Would this work? Google it.

AMSEC Defense vault

Model: DV652.     Outside: 6" x 52" x 14"     Inside tray: 3-3/8" x 43-1/4" x 13".  Weight 90 lbs.

You can try to Fireproof it with Sheetrock on the outside covered with waterproofing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Truck Vault

/thread
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AMSEC Defense vault
Model: DV652.     Outside: 6" x 52" x 14"     Inside tray: 3-3/8" x 43-1/4" x 13".  Weight 90 lbs.
You can try to Fireproof it with Sheetrock on the outside covered with waterproofing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
AMSEC Defense vault

I definitely checked these out for the bedroom, but I think its too long for the car.

Quoted:
Truck Vault

/thread

This seems to be the standard. Definitely too big for my needs. I want to be able to use my cargo area once its installed. An explorer the Rav4 is not.

I have this area under my rear cargo I would like to use. I night just have to make it and look into a biometric lock to add to it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like you also have a 3rd gen Rav.  If you figure out a quick-access option for when you have additional items in the cargo area, please share.  It's too bad the 2nd row doesn't have enough room under it for a safe.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have even thought about trying to find an option to mount to the roof in the rear, but that would obstruct the rear view, and be visible to passers by.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
How about an electronic gun lock with a cargo cover or something similar to cover it up? Hell, use limo tint if nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like you also have a 3rd gen Rav.  If you figure out a quick-access option for when you have additional items in the cargo area, please share.  It's too bad the 2nd row doesn't have enough room under it for a safe.  
View Quote

My generous measurements were 34.5 x 19.5 x 9.5. Planning to make a rectangular box that doesn't take up all of the depth and push it forward. When you lift the cargo floor, you'll hinge down the rear vertical panel. The rifle will be flat and cocked on an angle to lessen the profile. Several mags will slide out flat. I think I might have to go with a built in combination lock for bottom hinged door.

Even if there was enough room under the back seats, can't count on getting to rifle with kids in the car.

I am going to fiddle with some stock and trigger grip mods to make profile smaller.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How about an electronic gun lock with a cargo cover or something similar to cover it up? Hell, use limo tint if nothing else.
View Quote

Not a bad idea.  Certainly better than trying to get under the floorboard - at least for my purposes.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
That's how the coppers do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top