Posted: 9/1/2014 11:05:42 PM EDT
I would like 6 cams.
1) front door,

2) back door

3) east side

4) west side

5) street view/full front yard

6) full back yard view

I would like an email went motion is tripped and for it to record, and to view online.

What is my best value?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be a dick but some reading will do you good.  All this has been covered...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not to be a dick but some reading will do you good.  All this has been covered...
View Quote
Oh I know it has. And there is probably 10 threads a day asking the same thing.

the stickys up top are Camera Basics, installs, PC based sys. low cost network. wifi sec. And in these threads there are terms like CMOS, NTSC. Then there was the 100 page thread. Not really a quick read.

I am just looking for am all in one more or less. Can I walk in to a Sams club and buy a box of camera, with a harddrive and wires. them 30 mins later be up and running? And able to read Plates from 50 ft way.

I just do not see myself peicing a system together, (correctly).

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really know what others will say. I'm new and pretty much in the same boat as you, but I think dropcam and foscam have what you seek. I dont know about outdoor capabilities of either, but the foscam does has an outdoor dome option. I'm also looking for a couple cameras that have motion sensors and will send notifications.. recording is also desired... and that's what I've come up with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the stickys up top are Camera Basics, installs, PC based sys. low cost network. wifi sec. And in these threads there are terms like CMOS, NTSC. Then there was the 100 page thread. Not really a quick read.

I am just looking for am all in one more or less. Can I walk in to a Sams club and buy a box of camera, with a harddrive and wires. them 30 mins later be up and running? And able to read Plates from 50 ft way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to stay away from the Sams Club crap, the box o cameras come with X number of the same camera. And chances are you will need different cameras for different locations, and good luck trying to get a license plate from 50 feet away with the Sams club systmes. Another thing to remember with the boxed sets is if one component breaks you can have big problems getting it replaced.  As far as emails, i wouldnt go that route. The systems sense motion through variances and changes in light. So as shadows move, bushes and trees shift in the wind, birds dogs etc come into view you will get a email. One customer i had that requested the email function received over three hunderd emails in a single weekend and that was with the recording sensitivity set very tight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Its hard to beat the Hikvision 3MP cams for the price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using the Logitech Alert cameras for about 4 years and have had good luck. It sends me an email when motion is detected with a picture of what the camera was viewing when the motion was sensed. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity. You can also tell it which portion of the view you want to have motion detected. For example, if you have it pointing at your driveway and you do not want to get an email every time a car drives by on the street, you can make the camera not sense motion on the street. I've never had a problem with getting hammered by emails after I got the sensitivity where I wanted it. I like getting an email when UPS drops something off or the meter reader comes down the driveway.

You can view it live from your phone or any computer. You can also watch what it has recorded.

I've read they are discontinuing it though. You can still purchase the equipment but I don't know how long Logitech will support the live viewing and email servers. I found this thread by looking for a replacement if/when Logitech stops supporting these.

Another issue is that the system and add-on cameras is not cheap. These do record in HD but you're not going to be able to zoom in on license plates from far away.

Here's a couple examples of where it's come in handy for us. Good part is right at the end on the first video.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been using the Logitech Alert cameras for about 4 years and have had good luck. It sends me an email when motion is detected with a picture of what the camera was viewing when the motion was sensed. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity. You can also tell it which portion of the view you want to have motion detected. For example, if you have it pointing at your driveway and you do not want to get an email every time a car drives by on the street, you can make the camera not sense motion on the street. I've never had a problem with getting hammered by emails after I got the sensitivity where I wanted it. I like getting an email when UPS drops something off or the meter reader comes down the driveway.

You can view it live from your phone or any computer. You can also watch what it has recorded.

I've read they are discontinuing it though. You can still purchase the equipment but I don't know how long Logitech will support the live viewing and email servers. I found this thread by looking for a replacement if/when Logitech stops supporting these.

Another issue is that the system and add-on cameras is not cheap. These do record in HD but you're not going to be able to zoom in on license plates from far away.

Here's a couple examples of where it's come in handy for us. Good part is right at the end on the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz0qzhgF6sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qwuT_l4Cs&list=UUKbLjIrrThVgNYX2-lWnszg

View Quote

What was in the UPS package?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Its hard to beat a Hikvision ds-2cd2032-i for the price.
Make sure to click the gear icon on the video and select 1080P.
Not my video but a good demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-PKlncFoa8

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top