Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
A buddy of mine took hiding firearms in plain site to a new level.

http://www.motherfrs.com/home.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I never like to criticize someone, when they've made or done something I couldn't do.  They obviously have some talent and drive.  But I'll be honest, I find these products marginal at best.

If I lived alone or at least didn't have kids, I could perhaps see the use for some of the nightstand and smaller tables. Maybe.  Relying upon my ability to quickly access the key fob in an emergency doesn't sound like a great plan.

The long table holds a shotgun.  But if you ever need to access it, you either have to carefully remove everything on top or be willing to break everything on top.  Sure, in a home invasion who cares.  But in a false alarm, you'll end up with a mess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Criticism is what drives ingenuity. I appreciate all feedback. Please keep the comments coming. I'd like to build a device that people can use and want. P.S you can't hurt my feelings. I work with the lowest pieces of human life on a daily basis. If my skin was any thicker, I'd make a belt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to hear.  

I would find another way to trigger the tables.  Maybe use a discreet simplex type lock under one of the edges. Something like the Kaba C6902.  For big bucks, you could use wood inlaid triggers that have to be depressed in the right sequence.

For the long arm table, make the draw drop down.  Do something along those lines, and I think you have some winners.

FWIW, I personally would not market these as child resistant unless they were at least in the same category as a Ft. Knox FTK-PB.  Too many children have died when people depended upon big-box, made in china gun boxes.  Just my opinion.

I will add that I wish I had a fraction of your talent working with wood and making things.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again.

We've had a model that drops down from the bottom in R and D for a while (R and D being my lonely garage.)

I think maybe I'll bring that project to the forefront and see what people think.

The key FOB remote was designed to keep the furniture looking like furniture. I didn't want anything attached that would give it away. I also thought that, under stress, it was the simplest solution. For instance, if you hit the wrong number on a key pad you have to wait for it to reset. If the average time of entry into a house is 8 seconds or so, that's time wasted.

We have plans of offering bio-metric, numeric keypads and other items as lock options.

One other thing to consider. Our marketing will be aimed at people who live in the City or in small apartments. We're trying to provide a system that will allow suburbanite gun owners the opportunity to secure their firearms without the need for a massive safe. Most city dwellers do not have the huge collections that we "junkies" have. But also, being a "gun junkie" I couldn't resist building the library table. I wanted something that could hold a 12 gauge or an AR.

Thanks again. I value everyone's opinions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks again.

We've had a model that drops down from the bottom in R and D for a while (R and D being my lonely garage.)

I think maybe I'll bring that project to the forefront and see what people think.

The key FOB remote was designed to keep the furniture looking like furniture. I didn't want anything attached that would give it away. I also thought that, under stress, it was the simplest solution. For instance, if you hit the wrong number on a key pad you have to wait for it to reset. If the average time of entry into a house is 8 seconds or so, that's time wasted.

We have plans of offering bio-metric, numeric keypads and other items as lock options.

One other thing to consider. Our marketing will be aimed at people who live in the City or in small apartments. We're trying to provide a system that will allow suburbanite gun owners the opportunity to secure their firearms without the need for a massive safe. Most city dwellers do not have the huge collections that we "junkies" have. But also, being a "gun junkie" I couldn't resist building the library table. I wanted something that could hold a 12 gauge or an AR.

Thanks again. I value everyone's opinions.
View Quote

Now that would be really cool for a table...a place to input your prints and it pops open.   Nice.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the magnetic locks these guys use http://tacticalwalls.com/

The magnets can be glued under items to disguise their intent.  I've seen bookshelves with hidden compartments, and the magnetic key was glued inside a book cover.  The book was slid over the side of the cabinet, and disengaged the lock.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
That sounds like putting the key in the lock and leaving it. I'll have to check it out though. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Not really any more than leaving the key fob within reach, except less obvious.  The idea is that you have 6 or 7 books, vases, etc but only has the magnet.  Switch the position of two and it opens.  Concealed properly, you wouldn't be able to detect the magnet's presence by looking or feeling.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish TacticalWalls would show their lock a little better. In a panic situation I don't know that I'd want to have to find my 2 special keys, and put them just so... Those shelves would work better with the "sweet spot" being on top, so like you said, you could move an item with the key in it, to a special place on the shelf and disengage the lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top