Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 3:49:57 PM EDT
Hey all - this forum is amazing and I am really grateful for it.

I've got a few quick questions that I'm not totally clear on from the tutorials.  I'm assembling a PC-based DVR with the above sticky as my constant guide.  I plan to start small with four IP cameras powered via POE and grow the system later as funds allow.  Here's the setup:

PC:  Dual-core 2.53 Ghz, 3.23 GB ram
NIC:  Trendnet TEG-PCITXR, 32-bit, gigabit
Cameras:  4 Hikvision 2cd3332-i turret cams, 3MP, each drawing a max of 7.5W

1.  What would be a smart (and hopefully affordable!) network switch for this setup?  It's tough to find a remotely affordable one with 8 POE ports, but 4 POE ports/4 regular ports are easy to find.  However, if I'll ultimately need 8 POE ports, it doesn't make much sense to buy one now that I will just have to replace later.  I thought perhaps I could stack two 4-POE switches but all the stackable ones are outrageous that I've found.  Also, should I get a gigabit switch?  The network card is gigabit, so would it be worthwhile or an unnecessary expense?  GrayMan does say in one sticky to be sure NOT to get a gigabit NIC in one instance but I'm way too much of a noob to fully grasp when to NOT go gigabit...

The other wrinkle here is that I can't afford any more space in the conduit than one cat5/cat6 going to the PC/DVR itself...not sure if that has any effect on this but wanted to mention it.

2.  Also, I'm about to buy a 2-TB hard drive for the PC - anything in particular I should look for or stay away from as an unneeded luxury?

MANY thanks, all - this forum is magnificent!  This is a really great example of people giving of their knowledge and time to others with zero chance of payback.  Gives me hope for the world!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's tough to find a remotely affordable one with 8 POE ports
View Quote

POE switches are always going to cost more than non-POE switches.

You can find a new Procurve 2520-8-PoE (J9137A) for $350 or so on Ebay.  It's an excellent performer.  I paid $326 shipped for mine about 3 years ago.

Eight 100mbit POE ports, and two gigabit ports.  I use the POEs to cameras, one gigabit direct to the DVR server, and the other gigabit to the rest of my network.

Also, be wary of cheap POE switches with multiple ports ... some of them may not have the juice to power all of the ports at once.

Few things in the computer network world are as frustrating as troubleshooting the intermittent problems that come from a little too much traffic over hardware that's a little too cheap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy working cisco switches on ebay for 50-100 all the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Just what I needed to know - thank you both very much!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top