Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 3:47:12 PM EDT
Planning to move my safe this week and need to know if it is ok to go down on top of carpet, or if I should just cut away the carpet in the footprint and place directly on subfloor?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
mine is on carpet...makes it easy to move..what would be your concern with it being on carpet?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Rot, mostly. It's a 1400lb safe, so moving won't really be easy...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
All it will do is mash that foot print of carpet flat.
What you could do is remove the carpet and place a foot print of VCT tile down and place transition strips to meet the carpet.
Any flooring contractor can do that really cheap since it's such a small area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
There shouldn't be any "rot" issue with placing a safe on top of carpet unless you have other moisture issues to be begin with.  But the carpet under the safe will be crushed and won't come back to it's typical thickness if the safe is ever moved.  Consider the carpet a write off in that area.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Another item to think about is the strip that goes along the wall that keeps the carpet tight.  I had to shim the front of the safe to match the height of the strip when I bolted my safe to the floor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top