Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 1:48:07 AM EDT
I have a Sentry safe with digital pad that stores my loaded pistols for home defense and today I found the batteries died and I couldn't open the safe without the key. Thankfully I just needed to access the safe so I can perform maintenance on one of my pistols but it immediately occurred to me this would suck if my home was in the middle of a home invasion. So this bring up my question of looking into a new safe as I cannot leave a loaded unsecured pistol out, this is mainly for my mine and my wife's peace of mind.

First, I'd like recommendations on safe security that would prevent what just happened in the above. Should I go manual or is there an alternative digital lock that won't screw me over with needing a key when its battery dies?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Google "mechanical pistol safe",   and don't leave both pistols in the same place.   I want this one, click
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The 5 button Simplex style locks can be found on some gun cabinets, shotgun holders and handgun safes.  No battery to fail but instant access.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Kind of like a FAS-1 safe but made from sheet metal instead of 7 gauge.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google "mechanical pistol safe",   and don't leave both pistols in the same place.   I want this one, click
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the input. I was originally wanting ideas for a larger safe but I still can have one large safe hold him rifle, pistols, etc with whatever ample security and another smaller safe using a mechanical push-button lock that will hold my home defense pistol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Do those give warnings for low battery? My Champion Safe is suppose to do that,,hopefully. I really need to switch to Dial someday
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
At least some digital locks (the Amsec and S&G models, for example) allow you to change the batteries from outside the safe.  Maybe replacing the batteries proactively on a set schedule (maybe when you replace smoke detector batteries) would be a good idea?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
You know they suggest you replace the battery in your smoke alarm, I think, when we switch to daylight saving time. Why not pick a date and replace the safe battery every year. Simple, easy, cheep and you can keep the safe you already have.

Then again, BRD does have symptoms of MORE GEAR so change the battery annually AND get a new safe! I like my Liberty!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have that one. I use it with the ammo box to legally travel under FOPA through the People's Republicks of NJ, DE and MD to the FREE state of Virginia!

Ft. Knox also makes a simple one for less money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You know they suggest you replace the battery in your smoke alarm, I think, when we switch to daylight saving time. Why not pick a date and replace the safe battery every year. Simple, easy, cheep and you can keep the safe you already have  
View Quote

Almost everything we sell uses UL rated locks, where the batteries are easily accessible from the outside.  I usually advise my customers to use the safe until the batteries no longer open the lock.  The more often you fat finger the pieces required to change the battery, the more likely you are to break something causing the lock to stop working.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
old fashioned rotary S&G lock will do you good.  Those electronic devices will shit out on you.

For a pistol beside box I use a VLine with simplex, no batteries and the gun is only placed in the lockbox at night (2 kids in the house), otherwise the pistol is on me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do those give warnings for low battery? My Champion Safe is suppose to do that,,hopefully. I really need to switch to Dial someday
View Quote

Mine does but I don't access the safe often. Something I forgot to point out was that one of the batteries was corroded so battery failure is another reason is why I'll go with a mechanical safe for my home defense pistol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
In a real home invasion, you most likely will not have time to access any kind of safe, unless you are already hidden and nobody knows you are there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In a real home invasion, you most likely will not have time to access any kind of safe, unless you are already hidden and nobody knows you are there.
View Quote

I agree with you though how do you keep a HD pistol ready when you have young children in your home?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree with you though how do you keep a HD pistol ready when you have young children in your home?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I'm not home all of my guns go in my safe bolted to the floor and wall. When I get home I put on my OWB holster and just carry. If I leave again, it goes right back in the safe. This us really the o my way to have it completely secure and still there when you need it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep it holstered/concealed on  your person until you go to bed, then put it on your night stand. Wake up, re-holster and repeat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#17]
No way in hell would I consider my safe as a place to store HD weapons. Those stay out and accessible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No way in hell would I consider my safe as a place to store HD weapons. Those stay out and accessible.
View Quote

A secured HD weapon is not a good HD weapon, however a concealed HD weapon is a good HD weapon.
My 870 HD weapon is well concealed yet available in a second.
I invited an LEO friend of mine to go into my bedroom and find the 870 shotgun.
I allowed him to turn the place upside down.
He came out empty handed.
I walked in and found the room ransacked and walked out 15 seconds after walking in with the 870 in my hands.
His jaw dropped and eyes flew out of his head as he said " where the hell was it "
I told him to walk in and look around and he said " son of a bitch .... who the hell does that? "
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun vault mini vault. Not the biometric one. Look at the one with 4 buttons that you can find in the dark and manipulate without actually seeing the digits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Biometrics for a single pistol is always an option or one of the push button combos. But honestly i would just make it a habit of replacing the battery BEFORE it dies on you. Buy those good AA energizer super lithium batteries that cost and arm and a leg and replace it twice a year at the same time with the smoke detectors. Small price to pay to know your safe will always work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A secured HD weapon is not a good HD weapon, however a concealed HD weapon is a good HD weapon.
I walked in and found the room ransacked and walked out 15 seconds after walking in with the 870 in my hands.
His jaw dropped and eyes flew out of his head as he said " where the hell was it "
I told him to walk in and look around and he said " son of a bitch .... who the hell does that? "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so where did you have it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Recently I've been seeing more and more pictures of end tables and other furniture with hidden panels.  Some are simple to operate by pushing on them to unlatch, while others are more complicated and require a "magnetic key" that's hidden in a nearby item, and is slid over the latch location.  One such compartment was on the end of a book case, and a magnet hidden inside a book

While the push to open catch might be discovered by a child, the magnetic key and latch might work as long as they don't see an adult manipulate the lock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a small single pistol safe,  and set a calander reminder to change the batteries on the Sentry.  I had one for about 5 years,  and I think I had to change the batteries twice.  And I was in and out fairly frequently.  You could also stash the key in a hard to find,  but close location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top