Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 1:11:48 PM EDT
Wife and I are expecting twins in November, so the HD stuff will have to be locked up.

Any recommendations on gun lockers that can be installed between existing wall studs?  TIA.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
There is this.

www.tacticalwalls.com
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
This one appears on Slickguns often:  Stack On in wall cabinet at Walmart for $62
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wife and I are expecting twins in November, so the HD stuff will have to be locked up.

Any recommendations on gun lockers that can be installed between existing wall studs?  TIA.
View Quote

Guns don't need to be locked up immediately. You've got time before they start moving around and even more before they get to walking and exploring their curiosities.

Congrats on the new family!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one appears on Slickguns often:  Stack On in wall cabinet at Walmart for $62
View Quote

Wonder how hard that would be to put it behind a mirror?  Maybe have the mirror secured with one of those magnetic locks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
This one is very good quality for the money, it screws into the studs on each side of it three times per side.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141238562509?nav=SEARCH
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on the twins, I have twin girls that are almost 5, it goes very fast.

I have the Closet Vault from Vline, very nice. Fast access without keys or electronic locks. It isn't a safe but keeps kids/cleaning lady from getting into them.

http://www.wicked-whitetails.com/V-Line-Closet-Vault-Ivory-51653-SA-IVY.htm?categoryId=-1

I happened to get one from a closeout/open box/return off ebay for about $250 but I think I got very lucky.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, guys.  I'm worried that the Stack-On won't fit an AR with a side mounted light.  I've seen that V-Line, and thinking that's the way to go, especially since a member has chimed in with experience.  

Lucky for me, the housecleaning gal is a shooter, so never had a problem with ar parts and glocks laying all over the house.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
How hard is the Closet Vault to pop open with a crowbar?  I've only seen the similar product from Stack-On, and I honestly wasn't impressed with metal thickness, overall construction and  specifically the way it's locking. I realize something like that is not intended to replace an RSC, but still... i would barely call it child proof. Is Closet Vault any better in that regard?

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How hard is the Closet Vault to pop open with a crowbar?  I've only seen the similar product from Stack-On, and I honestly wasn't impressed with metal thickness, overall construction and  specifically the way it's locking. I realize something like that is not intended to replace an RSC, but still... i would barely call it child proof. Is Closet Vault any better in that regard?

View Quote

No it is not at all a safe replacement. But neither are lots of safes if you watch the videos on guys cracking them open with prybars. I'm currently building a walk in gun room/tornado shelter in the basement and will likely use a SturdySafe vault door for that. Think of the Stack-On and Closet Vault as a gear locker. The CV is sturdier and has 3 locks if you do use the keys. The big benefit of the CV is the shelving options and quick entry. For me it will always hold my home defense/daily carry stuff. When I go on vacation I'll have everything in the walk-in behind the vault door.

I have a home alarm (monitored) and will have the vault on a second alarm that is always on, even when we are home.

But to answer your question I'd look more at where you place the CV. If you put the opening side near a wall it will be much harder to pry open if that makes sense. But yes, I understand it can be opened in minutes. It is for keeping kids, guests and cleaning ladies out while allowing the very fastest access while still being behind any sort of lock. I wouldn't consider it for heavy security if that is your goal you'd be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks, guys.  I'm worried that the Stack-On won't fit an AR with a side mounted light.  I've seen that V-Line, and thinking that's the way to go, especially since a member has chimed in with experience.  

Lucky for me, the housecleaning gal is a shooter, so never had a problem with ar parts and glocks laying all over the house.  
View Quote

Double check the depth you'll need for a side mounted light. The CV goes beyond the drywall for extra depth so it likely works. I don't have anything mounted on the side of my AR. I use a Inforce WML at 12 o'clock on my AR for home defense so if I'm shooting while against a corner I won't blind myself or block the light. But that's my preference and doesn't always work on some setups.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The way I see it, if a kid is old enough to know how to defeat a security cabinet, find the key, or pick a lock, they are also old enough to be taught to keep out of the cabinet.  My parents had a wooden cabinet with glass doors, and had no issues with me, my brother, or my sister handling anything in the cabinet without permission.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The way I see it, if a kid is old enough to know how to defeat a security cabinet, find the key, or pick a lock, they are also old enough to be taught to keep out of the cabinet.  My parents had a wooden cabinet with glass doors, and had no issues with me, my brother, or my sister handling anything in the cabinet without permission.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I teach them AND keep shit locked up.

Congrats on the twins - 7 yr old boys here!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wonder how hard that would be to put it behind a mirror?  Maybe have the mirror secured with one of those magnetic locks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To expand on this for a second.

It is very easy to conceal items behind pictures, mirrors and other wall hanging items.
I've done several of these for myself and others.

Use a pair (or more depending on size and weight) of flat, roller ball, drawer slides.
Mount them to the back of said object and then to the wall.
If you do it right, have no more than 1/8" clearance to the wall, no one will ever know it moves.

The mirror or picture just slides up, down, left or right exposing the hidden area.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My four year old has never shot but knows and recognizes rifles and handguns as well as ammunition.  We've discussed firearm safety in terms she can understand.  

The rules in my house are pretty absolute.  No loaded weapons.  My definition of loaded is a round in the chamber.  I'll carry in condition 1, but will make safe when I get home.

Get used to securing your firearms, don't make exceptions, or take for granted how resourceful kids can be.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been looking at these lately as well.  

I don't like the Stack-on, where it requires a key.  I would rather have some kind of electronic or push-button mechanical lock, such that I could open the thing any time.  The Closet Vault model is good in this regard.  But I don't like how that one extends outward from the wall.  I'd like something that I can put a hinged mirror over to conceal as well, and I think that one is just too big for that.  

I like the looks of this one from Stealth Wall as it looks more natural and already has the mirror built in, but again it requires a key.  And it is really just for concealment, and appears less secure than the Stack-on model.  The locking mechanism appears to be the same type of child-proof locks I have on some of my bathroom cabinets.  It will keep small children out, but a strong tug will defeat it.

So ideally, I'd like to find something that's set up like the Stealth Wall, and locks like the Closet Vault.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Some more options.  No personal experience, here.

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-cabinets.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top