Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 5:23:02 PM EDT
So we are moving into a 4800 sqft house soon and I plan for a 6-8 camera system, haven't picked the model yet.

But wanted your insights on tips/tricks of the trade to run cable? I know it's not going to be fun and lots of fishing cable behind walls and lots of time in the attic I assume?

As for the DVR, how do you decide where to centralize it or is it based on what's easy?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I placed my sister's DVR in her garage because the cables run through the attic and it was not too ugly to have a hole in the garage ceiling where all the cables run to the DVR.  Inside the house, even in a closet, we didn't want a big hole in the ceiling for the cables.

The most difficult cable run was across the house through the attic.  The house has high vaulted ceilings in the middle so there is no attic to speak of that connects the garage side to the east side, so I couldn't crawl through to drop a cable down the wall.  My solution was to use the existing T.V. cable, which already made the trip from the garage to the other side of the house, to pull a string through the attic.  I consider myself very lucky to have accomplished that.  Now, I have a back and forth pull string from the east side of the house to the west side across the vaulted ceiling.   A few pulls later, I have the T.V. cable back in place and the desired camera cables in place.

A couple of the camera cables were impossible to run through the attic so I had to run a cable around the outside of the house. This cable run was much longer that the 90' cable provided with the DVR kit.  Home DVRs / cameras will work just fine over a very long distance on coax (several hundred feet).  I got my coax on eBay, if you go with this method you want what they call Siamese cable, it has the power conductors molded along with the coax.  Comes in black or white.  Buy more than you need, you don't want to run out.  You'll need some twist on BNC connectors and some male & female power jacks too, got them on eBay also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what type of camera tech your looking for?

HD-CVI is a new technology to the camera world this year.   It pretty much destroys the Analog camera market.     It allows for 720P and 1080P to be transmitted over coax, which does offer some benefits over IP type cameras.    Pricing is very reasonable.

Just wanted to pass that along,   We dealt with  Nelly Security.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a fish-tape, and a set of fish stix:

Link to fish tape

Link to fish sticks

Get some large/long drill bits (I like the 16" speedbor) , both standard, and spade bits.  I also recommend a longish masonry bit (I like Bosch).  1/2" to 3/4" (you may need that to feed RJ-45 connectors through holes in the wall or brick).  A right-angle drill (or similar attachment) can be handy for tight places.  

Additional tips:

Pull more wire than you think you'll need.  At least an extra 2-3 arm-spans (from fingertip to fingertip with arms outstretched).  You can leave the extra coiled up in the attic if it doesn't get used.

Get two smaller pull-boxes of cat5/6 rather than one big box (eg. two 500-foot boxes rather than a single 1000-foot box).  This will allow you to fish two locations from your soffits or ceiling with a single attic crawl (a good strategy if it's a real bitch to get into that part of the attic).

Consolidate camera locations (consider whether you can put an outside camera near the same corner where you're putting an inside camera on the ceiling.  It makes the pulling of wire easier by consolidating locations).

Consider pulling power/signal wiring for illuminators/sensors (if you're planning on using them... and you SHOULD be) at the same time.  It's good to get 3-4 runs of network/power/signal wire with a single attic-crawl.

Plan your DVR location, whether doing a home-brew (like we've shown in some of the tacked threads), an embedded DVR, or a Network-Storage device that supports cameras (like the Qnap boxes).  

Use PoE (power-over-ethernet) wherever you can.  It simplifies things greatly.  Be aware that a NEW PoE standard is starting to make inroads into the market (called PoE+), which provides more wattage to devices downstream from the switch.  The classic PoE standard (802.3af) could supply 15 watts... PoE+ standard (802.3at) can provide up to 25 watts... so make sure you don't have any cameras that require the higher-wattage, or get a higher-wattage switch to start with  (I recently made this mistake, so don't do what I did... read the specs carefully)

Fish interior walls rather than exterior walls... it's MUCH easier (no insulation).

Watch for fire-stops in your walls.  A fire-stop (or fire-break) is a short, horizontal 2x4 that is nailed between the vertical studs, and designed to slow the progression of fire up a wall.  They also complicate your wall-fishing greatly.  You can find youtube videos that show you how to cut/drill through/around these.  

http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgConst/Bldg02/fig0837.jpg

Get a decent stud-finder, one that also shows you where electrical wires are.  You don't have to spend big bucks... I use a Zircon.  It will be indispensible when it comes to finding the fire-breaks in your walls, locating studs, and finding ceiling joists (don't mount a camera just to sheetrock)

Link to stud-finder

Put your main switch/DVR on back-up power... it can be as simple as a regular APC UPS hung on the wall in the wiring closet.  

Without more specifics, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.  
View Quote

do you live in Ohio, I'll pay with ammo and firearms
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Which Ethernet end crimp system do you use?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I did all my house cat6 when we built. I used a scrap piece of wood to put the jacks against while I punched them down. It sucked. I discovered the easy holder after I was halfway though so I just skipped it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
When you begin to look at your system as a whole...pay attention to the DVR and buy for a  extra channels then the camera count you plan on...like go with an additional 2-3 channels...often times once a surveillance system is installed...something gets added to the facility and the need for an additional camera presents itself... cheaper that way then having to buy an additional DVR to compensate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No...  but if you'll IM me some pics, I'll help guide you on mounting/coverage areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  

No...  but if you'll IM me some pics, I'll help guide you on mounting/coverage areas.

If you had $1700 to spend for a 6 camera system, which one would you get?

I think some of my specs would be 1080p, nice DVR and ability for online/ internet viewing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras.  You only have to run one cable (Cat5 or Cat6) per camera.  Trying to figure out how to power non-POE cameras can be a PITA.

Also, buy this crimp tool and these plugs ('EZ-RJ45' system.)  MUCH easier to use than the standard RJ45 plugs/crimp tool..
EZRJPROHD

EZ-RJ45 Shielded plugs (buy matching strain relief part...)

See how the individual wires go THROUGH the plug?  Much easier than using the old style where you have to butt the wire ends up against the front of the plug.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How well does that rig work?  I use the old style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras.  You only have to run one cable (Cat5 or Cat6) per camera.  Trying to figure out how to power non-POE cameras can be a PITA.
Also, buy this crimp tool and these plugs ('EZ-RJ45' system.)  MUCH easier to use than the standard RJ45 plugs/crimp tool..
EZRJPROHD
http://www.libertycable.com/RUB_IMAGES/images/med-res_jpg/100054LW_part_front.jpg
http://www.apogeekits.com/images/shielded_ez-rj45_bag.jpg
See how the individual wires go THROUGH the plug?  Much easier than using the old style where you have to butt the wire ends up against the front of the plug.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jjLiPUwkL._SY300_.jpg

We are a sales/installer company.  Every one of our guys has one of these.  Quick, and very secure connections.

That particular crimp tool is not cheap, but it works really well.  I wouldn't use the cheaper EZ-RJ45 crimp tools, but only because I know how well this one works.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd do a Hikvision system.  It should come in under that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  

If you had $1700 to spend for a 6 camera system, which one would you get?

I think some of my specs would be 1080p, nice DVR and ability for online/ internet viewing.

I'd do a Hikvision system.  It should come in under that price.

the PTZ looks impressive

pretty cool to see a Chinese Buick Encore at 2:30, I know they consider them high-end over there.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EZRJPROHD

http://www.libertycable.com/RUB_IMAGES/images/med-res_jpg/100054LW_part_front.jpg

http://www.apogeekits.com/images/shielded_ez-rj45_bag.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jjLiPUwkL._SY300_.jpg

It is a little easier than the old style - but make sure you buy extra blades because they get dull.
I use both styles, but mostly the old one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top