Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:59:35 PM EDT
I looked at the tutorial but am undecided on image quality.  Sam's has Samsung systems that are 720TVL and have either
4 camera 12
Problems going this route?  I already feel like I shouldn't go this route.

I am thinking I want 1.3MP or greater, day/night (IRC), PoE, WDR, something that sends alerts to my phone and able to view from phone or internet.  What would store image data?  I don't think I need tier A stuff but also not lower than tier C.  Looking at $100-200 maybe per camera at the most.
Recommendations?

We had an issue while we were gone ... (I know, I know, should have had something in place sooner.  I think the wife finally sees why I do the things I do and encourage the things I do) ... very lucky it wasn't bad, nothing stolen that we can tell yet and the important stuff was secured.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
dont have any first had experience but i did do a little searching a while back and to me if you can swing it something like a 1.3mp -2 mp ip cameras are the best. not sure i'd want some of the older style with only 480/960 vertical lines when i can get a better picture with the 720p or 1080p if you have the space. also frame rate i think the sweet spot is somewhere in the 7-10fps still get a fairly smooth picture and what not.

another thing about ip cameras would be that you only need to run 1 ethernet cable to them instead of power and cable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would go a different route.  Get a PC based NVR that runs something like Blue Iris or Milestone so you aren't locked into a proprietary system and can mix and match cameras as you see fit, and as technology changes you can upgrade.  You are going to have to run cable with whatever system you decide on so IMHO spec out the exact cameras YOU want.

Of course this method is generally more expensive, but you get better quality cameras.  As you start adding cameras the strain on your internet will increase so make sure 1) you know how to properly set up a network (ie with switches) and 2) your connection is rock solid.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top