Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 8:31:42 AM EDT
Looking into the Dakota Alert MURS driveway alarm with the in ground probe.
Thinking about installing a wireless driveway alarm on my farm. The driveway is 1/2 mile long and runs along an open field, so a wireless system should work. I don't want a motion detector version that goes off with every deer/dog that walks by. After researching the net, I can only find that Dakota Alert has the in ground probe setup I need. Also the handheld radios they use with the system would be handy for coms around the farm since cell service is hit and miss. Anyone have this system or can vouch for the quality of the product? Thanks
http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=180&osCsid=01odplt98e0beoi1e2r4e3sse0
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Have been using one with motion sensers for a few years.
Great range, no falses, and the relay output is great for hooking up an external siren.
I replace the batteries twice a year.
No problems with the unit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I have one, works good....you can put it in a area other than drive way, around back of house, where if someone is there, it is a problem.(grab the gun)
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. Thinking this is what I'm gonna get.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
A little late to the party, but buy it.  I have 3 they all work very well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one for my parents' place, the probe is about 300yd through the woods from the house and it works just fine.
New 9v every 6 months.

Only issue is that with a wider driveway, you may not pick up some vehicles if they are far to the opposite side.
My parents have a wide gravel driveway,and if I hug the far ditch with my 350z, it won't go off.

Not an issue with paved or gated driveways.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one for my parents' place, the probe is about 300yd through the woods from the house and it works just fine.
New 9v every 6 months.

Only issue is that with a wider driveway, you may not pick up some vehicles if they are far to the opposite side.
My parents have a wide gravel driveway,and if I hug the far ditch with my 350z, it won't go off.

View Quote

Did you bury the probe legnth ways across or in line with the road?
Any reason you couldn't bury a probe on each side of a wide road and connect it to the same transmitter ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Any reason you couldn't bury a probe on each side of a wide road and connect it to the same transmitter ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New 9v every 6 months.

Parallel, as per the instructions.
And I'm not sure if dual sensors would create interference.  

Just stick a pole or bush on the opposite side of the driveway to keep them near the probe

Their new models run off of 4 CR123As instead of a single 9v.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone use one of these units where its gets cold
I would love to have a few but if the battery dies every few days from the cold it would do me no good
View Quote

Got down to single digits for a couple weeks in a row this past winter, still worked.

Lithium batteries are the answer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I live on the IL/WI border.  Gets down to -35 sometimes.  No problem, even through a foot of snow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I live on the IL/WI border. Gets down to -35 sometimes. No problem, even through a foot of snow.
View Quote

Yeah and this year we went how many days straight below zero? (Twin Cities and Duluth area for us)
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
what is the range of these ? I have a long 7-800 ft. driveway
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what is the range of these ? I have a long 7-800 ft. driveway
View Quote

They're supposed to be good for up to around 2 miles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top