Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 1:33:11 AM EDT
Anybody used this type of system, not necessarily these, for their home camera set up?  If so, how many camera's are you running off of it?

http://www.vpi.us/ethernet-power-500.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
i use this
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-PA4010KIT

for my in home internet. Play some bf4 and whatnot, and a direct hardline to the router was not an option...and wifi blows you know what...it works amazing. Plug and play. Don't see why a similar system wouldn't work just as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
IF you can budget for for the transceivers, it's a great system.  Why run Cat5 when you've got every room already wired.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the netgear version to run internet out to my workshop for my security camera dvr. It works fine as far as intranet, but looses internet connectivity sometimes, probably due to the distance/wire length. Inside my house, there were places it worked and places it didn't.  I think the distance from the router and the number of circuits plays a part.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys!  I'm still looking at what type of system I want to use and I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IF you can budget for for the transceivers, it's a great system.  Why run Cat5 when you've got every room already wired.
View Quote

Well speed for one. PowerLine networks, like wireless networks, rarely come close to their advertised speed. This can be a problem if you have a bunch of HD cameras or lots of data to move.

Second, surge protectors can block the data. You will need to plug it directly to the wall or use a simple extension cord.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was getting terrible wifi reception on the other end of my house.  I set two of these up and put an access point on the other end of the house and now the wife does complain that her ipad is slow.  Worth a Million just for that.  But I can also stream video to the other end of the house over that wifi AP without an issue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Can these provide PoE for IP cams?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of those adapters running a ton of internet intensive stuff, no issues.

I highly recommend the CISCO/Linksys version. They also have a version that will has a wireless router built into the adapter so it will act as a wifi extension too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set to get my Living Room hot...coming out of the wall, plugged into a switch...which then gets my devices online.  Works great.  I think I have a Netgear set from eBay
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can these provide PoE for IP cams?
View Quote

No.  You'll need a power supply or a poe power injector (plugged in between the camera and network adapter) to supply juice to the camera.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Powerline for a few cameras I can't run wire to and I knew that the speed would suck (this ain't my first rodeo).  I'm running 4 cameras (16 total) using Powerline in 2 sets of 2.  You need to have a rock solid internet connection and use basic networking skills otherwise your speed will go to shit even if everything is Gigabit, Powerline fucks the speed up in a major way.  My setup is Internet - Router - Switch - Powerline "Out" - Powerline "In" - PoE switch - Cameras.  I can not stress to you how important using switches is when you are running network intensive shit.  And for the love of God don't cheap out on the switches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you guys think of this one....just wondering about the system, not that I would buy it from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Q-SEE-Platinum-Series-8-Channel-HD-SDI-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-720p-Cameras-QT728-4G7-2/205067219
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What do you guys think of this one....just wondering about the system, not that I would buy it from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Q-SEE-Platinum-Series-8-Channel-HD-SDI-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-720p-Cameras-QT728-4G7-2/205067219
View Quote
I think those have to be wired directly to the system itself.   I like using POE cameras so I can wire cameras directly to switches in different locations within my house and use my network to get the data back to my security system.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Just an FYI, the powerline->ethernet adapters work fairly well within limits.  I use them when a client is going to install satellite internet with the dish/receiver located in an out-building.   Cat5e/6 max distances for spec'd cable is ~100m; powerline adapters are capable of 300m.

The catch here, as the distance increases, the devices ability to transition to a different circuit in a breaker panel diminishes.  At ANY distance the ability to get a signal through a circuit breaker is questionable; it either works or it doesn't but typically the shorter your run & the fewer connections the better chance of success.

Example: I haven't been able to transition from a circuit on a sub-panel to a circuit on the main panel.  With the devices on the same circuit, on a 235 foot distance I'm seeing a reliable/constant connection of 200Mbps (device max).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think those have to be wired directly to the system itself.   I like using POE cameras so I can wire cameras directly to switches in different locations within my house and use my network to get the data back to my security system.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I thought that I had looked up the ones that used Cat5/6.  I might have looked on Q-See's website.  This one is only like $400 on their site, but your right, I would have to run those coax cables with bnc connectors.  If I can find the one that used the cat5, I'll reposted that later when I get off work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cause its slow
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]
remember, "up to" includes 0. "up to 500mbps". you are lucky to get 50mbps even in ideal conditions.

also "500mbps" is the signaling rate. the actual data rate is much lower than that.

these are really intended for low to medium bitrate applications, but i found jitter far too variable to even be reliable for VOIP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My connection is ~ 60 MB/S and my Powerline struggles to hit 5 MB/S.  Keep that in mind..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top