Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 10:47:45 AM EDT
Just ordered my system, think it is exactly what I was looking for.

A quick question: Are you able to arm and disarm /  make changes to the system from the internet anywhere? Or do you have to be in the home to do that?

Just wondering if I can arm and disarm from my phone or nexus7.

We probably wont have the monitoring unless we know we are going to be out of town for a few days... which is rarely.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You do the changes from any computer
Yes you can turn off and on the alarm with your phone.
The monitoring is cheap money for ease of mind while at work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
And you better hope you like their monitoring services cause you can't have it monitored by anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And you better hope you like their monitoring services cause you can't have it monitored by anyone else.
View Quote

I've never had a problem with their monitoring service.

We had our pipes burst during the freeze this past winter. The water poured down onto the motion sensor in the garage. This set the alarm off. I received a call within 30 seconds. Rushed home to save the rest of the house from the flooding water. The motion sensor was toast....until 2 days later when it dried out and started working again!!!

We love the system. It affordable and does exactly what we need.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We had our pipes burst during the freeze this past winter. The water poured down onto the motion sensor in the garage. This set the alarm off. I received a call within 30 seconds. Rushed home to save the rest of the house from the flooding water. The motion sensor was toast....until 2 days later when it dried out and started working again!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really great to hear. Eventually I'll get the other sensors like the CO and water and freeze.. Maybe even another siren for outside. Really like the way you can expand it
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all people are going to be satisfied, just advising the OP that Simply Safe uses proprietary alarm communications format that no one else can monitor. Their wireless equipment likewise only works with their panels. It is something to consider.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just to clarify, you can only make changes (and arm/disarm) from any computer, your phone, etc. if you opt for the $25/month monitoring plan. If you get the cheapest monitoring plan ($15/month), you don't have access to those extra features.  All changes have to be made on your home computer and sync'd to your base station with the USB fob.

ETA:  Oh, and just a heads up.  If you portal to their site through Dave Ramsey's webpage, you automatically get a 10% discount on your order.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, you can only make changes (and arm/disarm) from any computer, your phone, etc. if you opt for the $25/month monitoring plan. If you get the cheapest monitoring plan ($15/month), you don't have access to those extra features.  All changes have to be made on your home computer and sync'd to your base station with the USB fob.

ETA:  Oh, and just a heads up.  If you portal to their site through Dave Ramsey's webpage, you automatically get a 10% discount on your order.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, thanks for the coupon idea.. i found a 25$ off somewhere online, but that would have been better.. oh well

I don't know yet if we are going to even have the monitoring enabled. I really just wanted something loud that would wake up our block if something happened. But I have a wife at home with soon to be 3 girls under 5.. so it may be worth it..
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Chances are you spend 25 bucks a month on something completely less important than you and your wifes security. Its worth it man.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chances are you spend 25 bucks a month on something completely less important than you and your wifes security. Its worth it man.
View Quote

Those chances are good..
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I too, had a good experience with Simplisafe.  I had a contractor decide that the warning sticker and the police alarm permit above my deadbolt (right at eye level) meant "please enter my apartment without the alarm code".  My video footage from my interior video camera shows the monitoring center calling very quickly when the alarm goes off.

One nice thing about Simplisafe vs some of the UL listed, supposedly better alarms that ADT uses:  The Simplisafe unit will not sound an alarm until it has successfully communicated an intrusion to the monitoring center.  This is done to prevent a thief from rushing to disable the alarm.  I had ADT at an old job.  The ADT unit went off, I quickly disarmed it, called the monitoring center, and they had not received the alarm signal.  They said it takes time for the unit to call into the center and notify them of the alarm.  

Simplisafe does have some weak points, but it is a great value for a wireless alarm system, and generally is sufficient for most people.  

I intentionally do NOT use the Simplisafe warning stickers on the exterior of my home, and I recommend you do the same.  I don't want a thief doing internet research on my alarm before they break in.  Get some generic alarm warning stickers instead (or warning stickers for a different brand, if you can find any).  Also, post the permit sticker in a highly visible location, to show that your alarm is real.  This should be enough deterrence for most idiots criminals.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those chances are good..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those chances are good..
Check with your homeowner ins. agent. The cost will probably wash.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dog food!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those chances are good..

Some how we were already getting an alarm discount..
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Who cars if it's proprietary, at least it's portable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Who cars if it's proprietary, at least it's portable.
View Quote
The Lynx from Honeywell is also portable, has a cell unit available for it as well. Best of all you can have anyone in the USA or the world for that matter monitor it. If you get pissed off at Simply Safe you don't have to buy new equipment.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm looking at getting a security system for a rental home and Simplisafe is a frontrunner.  I'm sensing some negativity toward them in this thread.  Can someone elaborate on why Simplisafe might not be a good idea?

And, are there better options?

Edit: How is the Honeywell Lynx different, besides the monitoring?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm looking at getting a security system for a rental home and Simplisafe is a frontrunner.  I'm sensing some negativity toward them in this thread.  Can someone elaborate on why Simplisafe might not be a good idea?

View Quote
The main difference and the biggest one as far as I'm concerned is the non proprietary communications and incompatibility of the Simplisafe system. They are not a very old company and in this industry you will find people who build a company fast to sell at 28-40 times the monthly revenue. Once they get a decent market base they will want more profits and start raising price. When they do they have a captive market so to speak with people who have invested in equipment that cannot be monitored by anyone else.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no experience with Simplisafe.  From a review of their web site, they appear to have reasonable prices for their equipment and good prices for their monitoring service.  Their service is UL-listed, which is a good thing; there's no indication of whether their equipment is or not.  FWIW, the few comments I've been able to find on other forums (like diyalarmforum.com) aren't very positive, but they also aren't very specific about what's sub-par with the Simplisafe system.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The main difference and the biggest one as far as I'm concerned is the non proprietary communications and incompatibility of the Simplisafe system. They are not a very old company and in this industry you will find people who build a company fast to sell at 28-40 times the monthly revenue. Once they get a decent market base they will want more profits and start raising price. When they do they have a captive market so to speak with people who have invested in equipment that cannot be monitored by anyone else.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That does concern me as well. However, I figure for what I need, I can accept a loss on the gear down the road should it come to that. In the meantime its a peace of mind, and satisfies the security alarm clause on my firearm insurance.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That does concern me as well. However, I figure for what I need, I can accept a loss on the gear down the road should it come to that. In the meantime its a peace of mind, and satisfies the security alarm clause on my firearm insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But can sell a comparable Lynx for a bit less than the Simplisafe. So why buy them?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for elaborating.  Is the Lynx entirely wireless and easily installed in a rental home like Simplisafe?

Also, sorry for the threadjack.  Feel free to tell me to buzz off and start my own thread.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks for elaborating.  Is the Lynx entirely wireless and easily installed in a rental home like Simplisafe?

Also, sorry for the threadjack.  Feel free to tell me to buzz off and start my own thread.  
View Quote
The only thing you need to do is run a transformer wire for power. All devices are wireless and the cell unit is a card that plugs in the touch pad.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

But can sell a comparable Lynx for a bit less than the Simplisafe. So why buy them?

View Quote

Never heard of them before. Seen numerous simplesafe threads/ads before. Several co-workers also bought Simplisafe and recommended them. When I bought my house, it was one of the first things I ordered due to folks more or less having a decent experience with the service. All said, I am out $400 to satisfy my insurance requirements and provide a little peace of mind. I didn't spend days researching various setups/gear. Down the road, after networking my house, adding IP cameras, a redundant storage server, and a few other security minded projects I may revisit the alarm setup.

In short, its good enough for the price.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Never heard of them before. Seen numerous simplesafe threads/ads before. Several co-workers also bought Simplisafe and recommended them. When I bought my house, it was one of the first things I ordered due to folks more or less having a decent experience with the service. All said, I am out $400 to satisfy my insurance requirements and provide a little peace of mind. I didn't spend days researching various setups/gear. Down the road, after networking my house, adding IP cameras, a redundant storage server, and a few other security minded projects I may revisit the alarm setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It really is sad that so many feel security and fire protection are worth so little. Oh and FYI Honeywell bought Ademco a number of years ago. Ademco has been in the alarm business selling panels and detection devices since the early 50's or prior. They are the largest manufacturer of alarm equipment in the world.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is sad that so many feel security and fire protection are worth so little. Oh and FYI Honeywell bought Ademco a number of years ago. Ademco has been in the alarm business selling panels and detection devices since the early 50's or prior. They are the largest manufacturer of alarm equipment in the world.

Worth so little? Not exactly. Of a different priority than other avenues of protection, yes. On top of bleeding thousands upon thousands just getting settled into a new house. Last I checked, my Simplisafe alarm still works and will call the popo should a break-in occur.

It would be like me berating the average computer use for not utilizing proper network security. After all, I am building a $1000 router/firewall/IPS with a DMZ and VLANs for an extra layer of protection. Which my IP cameras, recording 360 degrees around the house, being viewable through a secure tunnel from anywhere on the planet with a cell signal.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing about that is by the 20th month of Simplisafe monitoring you're already ahead of the game.  If you have it for 3 years even if you switched companies you saved money even assuming you throw your Simplisafe equipment in the garbage (it could always be resold on ebay for something).  After that you're saving at least ~20 a month for a comparable system/monitoring.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I would recommend the GE (Interlogix)  Simon XTI system over Simplisafe. 5x as many sensor options, their door and window sensors are the smallest and lowest profile in the industry, multiple monitoring options, massive company that also makes commercial fire and burglary alarms.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The thing about that is by the 20th month of Simplisafe monitoring you're already ahead of the game.  If you have it for 3 years even if you switched companies you saved money even assuming you throw your Simplisafe equipment in the garbage (it could always be resold on ebay for something).  After that you're saving at least ~20 a month for a comparable system/monitoring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get most any alarm central station to monitor you for $15 a month no problem. The Honewell system can also be resold if so desired and since you are not locked into one company would have better sales appeal. As I also pointed out the Lynx system can be bought cheaper than the Simplisafe.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth so little? Not exactly. Of a different priority than other avenues of protection, yes. On top of bleeding thousands upon thousands just getting settled into a new house. Last I checked, my Simplisafe alarm still works and will call the popo should a break-in occur.

It would be like me berating the average computer use for not utilizing proper network security. After all, I am building a $1000 router/firewall/IPS with a DMZ and VLANs for an extra layer of protection. Which my IP cameras, recording 360 degrees around the house, being viewable through a secure tunnel from anywhere on the planet with a cell signal.

Your video system will do you no good if you burn up in a fire, dies from carbon monoxide or if someone steals you DVR and possibly cameras. A local restaurant had their video system stolen in a break in last night.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can get most any alarm central station to monitor you for $15 a month no problem. The Honewell system can also be resold if so desired and since you are not locked into one company would have better sales appeal. As I also pointed out the Lynx system can be bought cheaper than the Simplisafe.

View Quote

Where?  Got links?

On the one hand you essentially accuse simplisafe of being fly by night...but any central station monitoring will do?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I did not call them "fly by night" but they are a newcomer to the security market. Unless you are in the business you have no idea how some of these companies grow. What I said was that you an get a local central station alarm company to monitor for $15. If it's a choice of $15 or $0 the wise man takes the $15 RMR.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I did not call them "fly by night" but they are a newcomer to the security market. Unless you are in the business you have no idea how some of these companies grow. What I said was that you an get a local central station alarm company to monitor for $15. If it's a choice of $15 or $0 the wise man takes the $15 RMR.
View Quote

You can actually have it done through alarmrelay for $8.95 if you have phone access.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Alarmrelay.com will do $8.95/mo for phone or internet (though internet requires purchase of a VOIP-like module).  If you want cell monitoring with them, it's ~$22/mo.  Those rates, though, are just for monitoring--no remote arm/disarm/programming or anything like that.  I've been using them for about 3 years at home, and they work well and are very responsive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I have simplisafe at home and the office.  I'm very impressed.  Calls come in once set off very quickly
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have simplisafe at home and the office.  I'm very impressed.  Calls come in once set off very quickly
View Quote

Just got mine setup. I like it.. way too easy to setup.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had our Simplisafe system for a few months now and have zero regrets on my decision.  I started out with entry sensors for each entry door, and 3 motion sensors, strategically placed.  In the coming month, we are having all of our windows replaced in the home, so I have held out on putting sensors on windows until this is done.  I had our system installed in about 15 min, because I had already mapped out where everything would go before delivery and I used the attached adhesive strips, so it was a snap.  

Is it a foolproof alarm system?  I doubt it, but I don't think my home will be broken into by the Ocean's Eleven team either.  The typical thug that would be looking to smash and grab, is gonna be gone as soon as the sirens sound.  In testing, I get a call from the monitoring center within 15-90seconds, usually 30-40 seconds.

A few pointers, from my experience:

If the alarm sounds and you disable with your PIN within10-20 seconds, you likely won't get a call.

The Panic button and the smoke alarm seems to get a quicker response than the entry alarm.

The motion sensors have a sensitivity switch inside behind the battery.(they are set to medium on arrival).  I find that they are not very sensitive unless on High Sens.

They have been having issues lately with a delay in the text alerts, but Simplisafe insists that there is no delay in the monitoring service.

The base station comes with a TMobile card by default.  If you have having problems linking to monitoring/online control, or getting the "No Link to Dispatch" message on your keypad, contact Simplisafe and they can send you a Verizon card if you have weak or no TMobile coverage.  I don't believe there is a charge, but not sure.

When in test mode, the blue light of the base station, increases/decreases in intensity to signify cellular signal.  I moved mine around the house until I found an inconspicuous spot with a strong signal.  I don't agree with the advice they give to put it near a window.

If you ask around, you will surely find complaints about Simplisafe for one reason or another.  For that matter, there will be complaints about any Alarm system you name, if you ask around.  There will be good and not-so-good with any of them.  I over analyzed the choices to no end before buying.  My cost was $400 and change up front, then a choice between 3 monitoring choices($0 for no monitoring, $15, $20, $25), with full disclosure and no hidden costs.  The system simply works, the monitoring is flexible, and my home is much more secure than it was last year, no doubt.

There is a company that will give you a "Free" alarm system for letting them put their pretty Orange sign in your front yard.  My brother in law has this alarm.  He's very happy with it.  He has demo'd it for me and, I agree, it's very nice.  When the rep set up his system, options were recommended and added, so the installation ended up costing $1100, instead of "Free" as advertised.  His monthly monitoring costs 3x what Simplisafe is charging me, and he has a 3 year contract.  Again, he is happy, and I'm not bashing his alarm.  It has a few bells and whistles that mine does not, but in the end, I believe my home is just as secure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top