Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2013 8:29:47 AM EDT
So I got a Fort knox recently and as with may safes and modern rifles alot of the space is unusable. I bought dig so it'll do for now. A

Anyways, I am thinking or redoing at least have the interior with a pull out drawer system of some kind.

Heres the issues with the current setup

The notches for the barrels are too close together for rifles with big bolts. Its difficult to put one rifle next to the other.

Front to back there is not enough room for scopes, Pistol Grips.

I am making use of rifle rods, but fundamentally the interior space is still not "optimized" and getting something from the back is a pain.

I was thinking of putting one of the shelves at the bottom on drawer slides so the whole "carriage" comes out (24" wide for one half of the safe). AMSEC makes a similar idea with the barrett safes

It also looks like it isn't an efficient use of space.

Anybody have any ideas?

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Fort Knox and AMSEC are several years behind:

From what I have seen, stripping out the lower interior and using rifle rods is going to gain the most space.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fort Knox and AMSEC are several years behind:

http://www.klsecurity.com/GSA_Advantage/class-5-weapons-safe-rifle-cart.jpg

From what I have seen, stripping out the lower interior and using rifle rods is going to gain the most space.

We had one of these at school for the Pellet guns. Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I did this to my safe. It took some testing but I finally got it to work. I can actually store more guns with optics and grips on them than I could with the factory setup. The rack holds eight as you can see plus 6 on each side for a total of twenty. Yes, I know that you can store more with rifle rods but can you actually
get any out of the back....no. The slide works great, the only thing is I did lose about 3 inches in height.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for more ideas....
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]

This has been a dilemma for a very long time. Getting as many guns in a safe as possible, and still allowing ready access. They are contradicting goals, no matter how you play the game. I designed the Barrett Slide-Out, not for gun density, but for convenience. The trouble is that there are too many variables with so many weapon profiles. If all of the guns were basic AR15s, easy cheesy. But look at all the various gun types, then layer that with optics and other tactical add-ons. The skews are nearly infinite. That's why we started putting a few long guns holders on the back of the door, so you can have quick access to a couple of key weapons, and not worry about the rest.

My safe is packed with too many rifles, along with other items I need to store securely. I gave up trying to find a perfect arrangement, and I bought a few 6-packs of gun-socks. Now I just pack then in, some barrel up, some barrel down, some sideways, some front-back ways. The gun-socks prevent any damage if you don't get too sloppy in handling. In a space where I had a formal rack arrangement holding 11 guns, I can now pack in 15-16 comfortably and still leave a couple favorites loaded in front ready to grab and go.The gun socks have label tags, so I mark them with an appropriate description to help find things.

I have said it before. I'll mention it again. Your Gunsafe is no place to store bulk ammo. If you're like me, that's not a small space that is being wasted. 6-8 ammo cases is a big chunk of real-estate that can be used for more important stuff. Keep in mind one of the reasons you bought a safe... fire protection. It doesn't make any sense to put all those beautiful firearms in a box along with a powder keg of live ammo. If you do have a big fire, the risk that the ammo becomes a flame thrower inside really defeats the whole purpose. Ammo should be stored in a place where it will do the least damage if the worst happens. Put it in the Garage, in an insulated cabinet if you like made from several layers of drywall and a padlock for security. It can be replaced. Sure, keep a few loaded mags and favorite pistols, and/or a go-bag with whatever you think is necessary when the Zombie Apocalypse happens. Be practical, and make the most of the space by only storing the things that are worthy of the security. If you're rich, buy more safes... if not, be frugal and practical.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently had the chance to examine a safe with three of these sliders installed.  The tracks worked smoothly but they were empty.  I don't know if having a bunch of weight on there would make a big difference.

http://reedcustom.com/slider-conversion-kits
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently had the chance to examine a safe with three of these sliders installed.  The tracks worked smoothly but they were empty.  I don't know if having a bunch of weight on there would make a big difference.

http://reedcustom.com/slider-conversion-kits

That looks REALLY nice, but pretty spendy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top