BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:

So I bought a G1W-C on Amazon, making sure to use Spytec as the vendor and not the cheaper versions.

So far It is pretty decent but it seems to have the problem where it freezes on the WELCOME screen when I start the vehicle.

If it is unplugged from the outlet and plugged back in it does start up but sometimes takes a few tries, could this be the cold weather?

Once it has started up if I shut off the vehicle and restart the camera works fine. Push button start if that matters.
View Quote
I don't think cold should be causing the problem, although I've seen it occasionally reported. I have a G1W-H, and have been running it all week in 20-30 degree Utah weather. It sounds like a software glitch. Is there a firmware update available?

This page might help you:

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:05:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguzzi] [#2]
I think that I may have gotten a counterfeit version anyway, the one I received has a ball joint pivot and the ones on the Spytec website have a cylindrical pivot.
Returning to Amazon and ordered directly from Spytec,
The one I got came in an orange and white box with a photo of something close to the camera but not quite.

ETA - The new one arrived it and the box appear identical but the difference in the camera is night and day, this one does not hang at all.
The one from Amazon listed spytec as the vendor, this one was direct from spytec.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that I may have gotten a counterfeit version anyway, the one I received has a ball joint pivot and the ones on the Spytec website have a cylindrical pivot.
The one I got came in an orange and white box with a photo of something close to the camera but not quite.
View Quote

How annoying. Amazon is full of fake shit, I hate having to be so very, very careful when I buy stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#5]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Scammers suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Scammers suck.

It's hard to say whether it's a fake or not without looking at the guts (the processor, specifically).  Mine came with a ball joint as well (assuming he's talking about the same thing I am), but it's most definitely the real deal.  It just depends on what each packager decided to include.  

It could also just be a dud.  Even the real deal ones are bound to have a lemon here and there.

Of course, it's also certainly possible that it is in fact a fake.  There are a few suppliers on Amazon who are known in the dash-cam community to be certified GTG.  There are others who are known to offer junk.  Same with ebay.  It's a good idea to do some checking around on dash-cam website before buying from a dealer on either site.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
So what's the upshot on the best camera to get now for the money?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARDestructo:
So what's the upshot on the best camera to get now for the money?
View Quote

Bang for the buck I'd say is the G1W series, especially if it's your first one in a POV, like mine was.  It's low cost so it gives you a chance to play around with it, get it set up how you want, see if a dash cam works for you, set up multiple vehicles, etc.  And despite being low cost, it still has most of the features a more expensive cam does, and still takes very good video.  Long term, if it ever breaks you can always upgrade to a better, more expensive model.

That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Well...I too got scammed on Amazon by Docooler...
stated:
Ships from USA - it does not
Authentic NT96650  - it is not
By Spy Tec - it is not

Filed claim and told the commie bastards not to lie to me...
Will order from Spy Tec...be careful when you buy...

Originally Posted By OrARGB:
Thanks for the education guys...ordered a GW1H and micro SD this morning.

"Wish" I had this in my son's car three weeks ago...some old boy pulled out in front of him from a private road. Our insurance says they are at fault, State Farm says my son was "going too fast for conditions".  How do they know that?

Anyway, looking forward to adding this little backup for my trips around town and state.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:37:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SimonPhoto] [#11]
Caught an asshole tonight - thought it was worth a bump to this valuable thread :)

Language warning: My wife's reaction was both explicit and very, very Southern.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
Caught an asshole tonight - thought it was worth a bump to this valuable thread :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbXm49P8fI
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

The C model  has no battery, but rather a couple of capacitors inside.  It means that it won't work for more than a few seconds without vehicle power, so you can't really remove it and use it outside the vehicle (say, to record crash damage).  On the other hand, capacitors are much more resistant to heat than batteries are, so if you live in a warmer area (like TX) there's no cheap chinese battery to get damaged/melt/explode in the sunlight.

The H model uses a new case type that is a bit more stealthy and easier to disassemble, though it still uses the same mounts as the other versions and (biggest difference) has a wider viewing angle than the regular version.  Also the battery is larger.  The ring around the lens is wider as well, and *most* 34mm rings will fit pretty snugly around it.  So for example, you could get a 34mm ring for a polarizing filter, and you probably wouldn't have to do any hacking or slashing of the case to make it fit.

I have the H model and like it because of the wide view angle (I can get pretty much pillar to pillar coverage even with it right up to the windshield), though if I was to do it again I'd probably get the C version.  Not having a battery just seems simpler.

I got mine from Amazon; wherever you go just make sure they are reputable.  There are a bunch of fakes out there.  Here's a review that lists the good places:  http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/

ETA:  In case you haven't read the whole thread, the mount for the G1W sucks, but there is a much better one available listed on this page or the previous one, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chas8008:
So I want to get the GIW camera.

What are the Benefits for the -c and H model of the reg one?

The C model  has no battery, but rather a couple of capacitors inside.  It means that it won't work for more than a few seconds without vehicle power, so you can't really remove it and use it outside the vehicle (say, to record crash damage).  On the other hand, capacitors are much more resistant to heat than batteries are, so if you live in a warmer area (like TX) there's no cheap chinese battery to get damaged/melt/explode in the sunlight.

The H model uses a new case type that is a bit more stealthy and easier to disassemble, though it still uses the same mounts as the other versions and (biggest difference) has a wider viewing angle than the regular version.  Also the battery is larger.  The ring around the lens is wider as well, and *most* 34mm rings will fit pretty snugly around it.  So for example, you could get a 34mm ring for a polarizing filter, and you probably wouldn't have to do any hacking or slashing of the case to make it fit.

I have the H model and like it because of the wide view angle (I can get pretty much pillar to pillar coverage even with it right up to the windshield), though if I was to do it again I'd probably get the C version.  Not having a battery just seems simpler.

I got mine from Amazon; wherever you go just make sure they are reputable.  There are a bunch of fakes out there.  Here's a review that lists the good places:  http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/

ETA:  In case you haven't read the whole thread, the mount for the G1W sucks, but there is a much better one available listed on this page or the previous one, IIRC.

Thanks for the link in your post.  It really helped me with the decision making process.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
What is everyone using to edit their videos?  My file type is a MOV file originally,  I would like to keep the HD quality but just cut down to the important parts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
LEFT LANE CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, here's a negative on the G1W. I bought mine around mid October. It's been running since then whenever the ignition is on. This morning, I turned on the car, and nothing happens on the camera. The little power LED on the camera stayed dark. The LED on the cigarette lighter plug was lit. After wiggling the mini-USB plug in the top of the camera, the LED came on. But, nothing on the screen. Dead. The blue LED seems to be illuminating the nearest edge of the screen. But, there is no joy in Mudville. I checked with Amazon and the original seller, but the return policy appears to only be good for 30 days.

So, unless it pulls a Lazarus and somehow revives itself, it may be time to blow so more substantial coin towards a Lukas. Nolo seems quite pleased with his.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By eastonj:
Well, here's a negative on the G1W. I bought mine around mid October. It's been running since then whenever the ignition is on. This morning, I turned on the car, and nothing happens on the camera. The little power LED on the camera stayed dark. The LED on the cigarette lighter plug was lit. After wiggling the mini-USB plug in the top of the camera, the LED came on. But, nothing on the screen. Dead. The blue LED seems to be illuminating the nearest edge of the screen. But, there is no joy in Mudville. I checked with Amazon and the original seller, but the return policy appears to only be good for 30 days.

So, unless it pulls a Lazarus and somehow revives itself, it may be time to blow so more substantial coin towards a Lukas. Nolo seems quite pleased with his.

View Quote

Interesting.  Mine still is going strong, but these are cheap-ass cameras.  When it breaks, as I fully expect it to do at some point, I might blow more cash on a better model, as long as it still has a screen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Front/Rear Blackvue camera system is back up on Massdrop.

Link]
View Quote
requested it

My truck is almost done. Bought a used pickup, and I'm outfitting it with all kinds of awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Sweet.... Why did you end up getting?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Front/Rear Blackvue camera system is back up on Massdrop.

Link]
requested it  

My truck is almost done. Bought a used pickup, and I'm outfitting it with all kinds of awesome stuff.

Sweet.... Why did you end up getting?
99 gmc

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By The_Jethro:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Jethro:

What can I say? I'd been driving for 10 hours or so at that point, I was going about 10 over the speed limit, and I had long since gotten sick of popping in and out of the right lane.

Guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I guess the drivers in TN are better/nicer than the drivers in NY.  I see stuff like that every day on my daily commute into NYC.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:49:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#27]
Here's the little crash video from last month, showing the G1W-H video at night in an urban area.  Compared to day it doesn't capture as much, but I feel it is good enough to know what is going on.  Although the camera says 32gb max on the card, I am running with a 64gb with no problems.  That covers about 10 hours of video, or about 10 days for me.

My co-worker was first in line when our light turns green, he goes across and gets hit by the sedan that doesn't yield in the channelized left turn.  I didn't stop because I didn't know it was my buddy .  Other guy tried to claim he had a green light, which is obviously laughable with the video.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:29:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nexttime] [#28]
Here's one of my videos from a couple of weeks ago.

Watch the upper left of on coming traffic.

Guy runs a red light but then stops in the middle of the intersection, backs up and then decides to go through the intersection.  

Note, traffic had a green light and cars are usually flying through that intersection from the right side to the left side.

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjfjo83i4E
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#29]
tagarooo...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
So I have the blackvue 2 channel and recently it has been saying "Check SD Card"

So I followed the instruction about formatting the SD card and it works for about a day then it says it again, bought new SD card and same thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm sure it's been discussed before but,  I'm wondering if this cam/SD card combo is good to go.  http://www.amazon.com/1920x1080-Recorder-Dashboard-G-sensor-Detection/dp/B00KJCFV8A/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423607320&sr=1-8&keywords=G1W

The reviews are mixed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Is that the one Nolo is using?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blacktide:
I'm sure it's been discussed before but,  I'm wondering if this cam/SD card combo is good to go.  http://www.amazon.com/1920x1080-Recorder-Dashboard-G-sensor-Detection/dp/B00KJCFV8A/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423607320&sr=1-8&keywords=G1W

The reviews are mixed.

After some investigative work through this thread, it appears Nolo uses a Lukas.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:31:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#35]

After some investigative work through this thread, it appears Nolo uses a Lukas.
View All Quotes

The reviews are mixed.

That one only has a couple of reviews, and is at a suspiciously low price.  I and many others here use G1-series  cameras in our POVs, but I'd get one from a more reputable seller with more reviews.  Fake G1Ws are rampant.

ETA:  This is a legit seller.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ3L84G/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JJ3L84G&linkCode=as2&tag=dcr-price-20&linkId=CHEHVAND6KMUUKEK

This one is as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1423629432&sr=1-1

ETA2:  To your question about SD cards, most any brand will work.  If your want to be safe, buy a lower class speed instead of a class 10.  I ended up getting a 32GB class 4 Kingston and it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#36]

That one only has a couple of reviews, and is at a suspiciously low price.  I and many others here use G1-series  cameras in our POVs, but I'd get one from a more reputable seller with more reviews.  Fake G1Ws are rampant.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ3L84G/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JJ3L84G&linkCode=as2&tag=dcr-price-20&linkId=CHEHVAND6KMUUKEK

This one is as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1423629432&sr=1-1

ETA2:  To your question about SD cards, most any brand will work.  If your want to be safe, buy a lower class speed instead of a class 10.  I ended up getting a 32GB class 4 Kingston and it works fine.
View All Quotes

The reviews are mixed.

This one is as well.

Thanks a lot for the info.  About to place an order with Spy Tec.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm having a heck of a time choosing a camera.  I think I'd like one with wifi and iPhone app.  I have a Wrangler, so I'd like to mount it above the mirror on the bar where the wiper clears the top of the windshield.

I just need to settle on one.  Suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fluwoebers] [#39]
Can someone post cliffnotes on the test results?  Is there a general consensus on which camera is the best?

I don't have as much leisure time as I used to.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
tag some more
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#42]

I've been using the Garmin Dash Cam 20 for a year since it was released.  Put a good quality (SanDisk Extreme Class 10) MicroSD card in it and it is absolutely good to go- otherwise it will freeze if there are any errors on the Micro SD. I am a carhauler and in 2014 I drove 109,000 miles.  The stock suction cup mount stays put- It only fell off once and that was a cold-to-hot issue with freezing Nashville weather and an overeager heater setting.

It will record a full DOT day's worth of driving in looping 1080p.  You can either hook up a USB directly to it to download and view the files or use an SD card reader.  One 4 minute and change segment of 1080p footage is about 275 MB.  Sound quality is good.  Video quality is evident in the clips below, with only a hint of vibration-induced distortion.  It is mounted in a Peterbilt, remember.

It is down to $199.99 on Amazon now.

I approve of it enough that I intend to buy two more of them -for the front and back of my new POV when I buy it later this year.

I've since moved it to the left side of the windshield, outside of the wiper swept area and directly below my GPS- less front carhauler rack in the footage.

A few clips (ETA: Any pixellation or "blocking" is YouTube, not the camera.  Videos straight off of the card are crisp and clear):

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]

PhuzzyGnu, because of your above post, I bought two of the Garmin Dash Cam 20's.  I'm using one on the windshield next to the mirror and intend to use one in the back window of my Suburban.  

Just got them last night and mounted it this morning.  Still messing with it to get comfortable with using it.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I just ordered the SGZC12RC
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Found this review.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#46]
Here's an interesting little deal.   Basically the same optics and sensors as a G1W, but in a much lower profile package.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Some decent reviews on Dash Cam Talk.  They really seem to prefer Street Guardian.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I just noticed that the newest Lukas has an OBD2 interface to get data directly off the engine computer for display in the recorded video.  

Somebody is going to have to shut up and take my money.  
View Quote

the reviews are pretty bad, though. Limited vehicle selection and low durability
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top