Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

I just installed this to replace my stock mount, and for those complaining that their G1W series camera doesn't attach securely, this is your answer.  It snaps into place so it can't come out.  Also gets your lens a lot closer to the windshield than the stock mount.  The tape it came with stuck onto my windshield just fine.

Here's the link again for those who need it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENYDS1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jormungand:
New mount installed, power cord wired through to the fuse box (under the hood in a JK), and the polarizer installed. It now sits nearer to the windshield and the little I got to play with it earlier the glare seems to be lessened if not entirely eliminated. I took photos to post a tutorial of sorts on another forum and thought about posting it up here as well but didn't want to hijack. If TheGrayMan approves and anyone is interested I can post it up here or I can start another thread, but if no one is interested then that's cool too!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PlqRF8NWtwA/U-y3TV3wZsI/AAAAAAAAEE8/HQJJmYlNVao/s640/IMG_0064.JPG

I just installed this to replace my stock mount, and for those complaining that their G1W series camera doesn't attach securely, this is your answer.  It snaps into place so it can't come out.  Also gets your lens a lot closer to the windshield than the stock mount.  The tape it came with stuck onto my windshield just fine.

Here's the link again for those who need it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENYDS1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been meaning to post a follow-up, and may do it later on when I am not quite so busy. The adhesive mounting to the plastic trim does not hold up to heat. I replaced it with the 3M double-sided trim tape used for molding and badges thinking it would work better. It too failed when the sun baked the interior. Sticking it to the glass windshield might produce better results. I have a different adhesive mounting kit sitting here on the desk waiting for another shot before I give up on the current mount position and return to the glass. Also, if you are off-roading or drive over rough terrain/roads then I would make sure the camera is back a bit from the glass. I was going nuts listening to it chatter for quite a while on a trail ride until I stopped and adjusted it. Guess we can say the G1W is now trail rated?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
So I want to get the GIW camera.

What are the Benefits for the -c and H model of the reg one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#3]
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

View Quote

The C model  has no battery, but rather a couple of capacitors inside.  It means that it won't work for more than a few seconds without vehicle power, so you can't really remove it and use it outside the vehicle (say, to record crash damage).  On the other hand, capacitors are much more resistant to heat than batteries are, so if you live in a warmer area (like TX) there's no cheap chinese battery to get damaged/melt/explode in the sunlight.

The H model uses a new case type that is a bit more stealthy and easier to disassemble, though it still uses the same mounts as the other versions and (biggest difference) has a wider viewing angle than the regular version.  Also the battery is larger.  The ring around the lens is wider as well, and *most* 34mm rings will fit pretty snugly around it.  So for example, you could get a 34mm ring for a polarizing filter, and you probably wouldn't have to do any hacking or slashing of the case to make it fit.

I have the H model and like it because of the wide view angle (I can get pretty much pillar to pillar coverage even with it right up to the windshield), though if I was to do it again I'd probably get the C version.  Not having a battery just seems simpler.

I got mine from Amazon; wherever you go just make sure they are reputable.  There are a bunch of fakes out there.  Here's a review that lists the good places:  http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/

ETA:  In case you haven't read the whole thread, the mount for the G1W sucks, but there is a much better one available listed on this page or the previous one, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]

The C model  has no battery, but rather a couple of capacitors inside.  It means that it won't work for more than a few seconds without vehicle power, so you can't really remove it and use it outside the vehicle (say, to record crash damage).  On the other hand, capacitors are much more resistant to heat than batteries are, so if you live in a warmer area (like TX) there's no cheap chinese battery to get damaged/melt/explode in the sunlight.

The H model uses a new case type that is a bit more stealthy and easier to disassemble, though it still uses the same mounts as the other versions and (biggest difference) has a wider viewing angle than the regular version.  Also the battery is larger.  The ring around the lens is wider as well, and *most* 34mm rings will fit pretty snugly around it.  So for example, you could get a 34mm ring for a polarizing filter, and you probably wouldn't have to do any hacking or slashing of the case to make it fit.

I have the H model and like it because of the wide view angle (I can get pretty much pillar to pillar coverage even with it right up to the windshield), though if I was to do it again I'd probably get the C version.  Not having a battery just seems simpler.

I got mine from Amazon; wherever you go just make sure they are reputable.  There are a bunch of fakes out there.  Here's a review that lists the good places:  http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/

ETA:  In case you haven't read the whole thread, the mount for the G1W sucks, but there is a much better one available listed on this page or the previous one, IIRC.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Chas8008:

Thanks, I got the -c from Auto-Vox on Amazon. So in 17 days we shall see
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a G1W on Amazon: link

I paid $45.

Has anyone successfully gotten a lower insurance premium because they told their provide they had a camera system?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

Has anyone successfully gotten a lower insurance premium because they told their provide they had a camera system?
View Quote

I would be curious to hear this as well.  Has anyone even tried?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimonPhoto] [#7]
I just picked up a G1W on Amazon: link

I paid $45.

View Quote

Got mine in yesterday - I just uploaded a short drive in traffic.

I imported it into iMovie, added a 4s title screen, and sped it up to 2x. Set YouTube to 1080p, and it looks just like the raw file does on my laptop.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I am in the market for a new Dash-cam. I bought the G1W because of the recommendations on here and it has been a good camera. Recently I assume that the battery failed and it would not hold a date and time.  Thank all of you for the information you have brought to this thread. Now it is time for me to upgrade to a different model.

I am thinking about buying either the Lukas 7900 ARA , it is an updated 7900. The only down side I can see is no external monitor.

Another model that I am considering is the DOD LS430W.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

The Lukas might not be a bad idea.  Nolo seems happy with his.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smoke14me:
Looks like I am in the market for a new Dash-cam. I bought the G1W because of the recommendations on here and it has been a good camera. Recently I assume that the battery failed and it would not hold a date and time.  Thank all of you for the information you have brought to this thread. Now it is time for me to upgrade to a different model.

I am thinking about buying either the Lukas 7900 ARA , it is an updated 7900. The only down side I can see is no external monitor.

Another vote for the Lukas from me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the idea of the Lukas, but I really appreciate the monitor on the G1W.  It lets me instantly tell whether it's pointed just right, and lets me make quick adjustments on the fly if needed, especially with the CPL I attached.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
For fun, I just ordered the G1W-H, which is supposed to be an updated version of the G1W and can take a 64 GB micro card. It was $55 on Amazon, plus a 64 GB micro SD card, all with Prime shipping. I'll try to get a few clips up once it arrives and I've played with it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By eastonj:
For fun, I just ordered the G1W-H, which is supposed to be an updated version of the G1W and can take a 64 GB micro card. It was $55 on Amazon, plus a 64 GB micro SD card, all with Prime shipping. I'll try to get a few clips up once it arrives and I've played with it.    
View Quote

I have the H model too.  Works pretty well so far.  If you ever want a polarizing filter, let me know and I'll look up where I bought mine from ebay and forward the links.  Standard step-up and it went on perfectly flat and straight because of the way the bezel is shaped.  A dab of super glue to keep it in place and you are all set.

The stock mount is still shit, but within the last couple of pages some much better locking mounts were posted, so I'd pick up one of those if I was you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]

I have the H model too.  Works pretty well so far.  If you ever want a polarizing filter, let me know and I'll look up where I bought mine from ebay and forward the links.  Standard step-up and it went on perfectly flat and straight because of the way the bezel is shaped.  A dab of super glue to keep it in place and you are all set.

The stock mount is still shit, but within the last couple of pages some much better locking mounts were posted, so I'd pick up one of those if I was you.
View All Quotes

I saw a few comments about the mount too. Picking one up on Amazon.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

link?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
would buy the Lukas again in a hearbeat.  no issues what so ever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Originally Posted By smoke14me:

would buy the Lukas again in a hearbeat.  no issues what so ever.

I have an earlier version of the DOD dvr.  The picture was pretty good, the GPS coordinates and speed on the screen were nice.  That said the setup menu was a pain in the ass to get to work right.  I had it less than 2 years before it started destroying the SD storage cards.  On its own it would do something that would write protect a micro-sd card.  No tool available could override it or reformat the drive.  The camera comes with a built in format option but it fails to reformat as well.  If I put a new sd card in it will work for a couple of weeks before getting locked.  For the price I would not buy a DOD product again.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#18]

Originally Posted By b00by:
link?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By b00by:

link?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ0J452/

It arrived in 2 days (gotta love Amazon Prime and a gift card).

I couldn't take it out for a drive until about 10 o'clock tonight. I'll try to get a clip or two put up.

ETA:

This was shot in 1080p at 30 FPS. Each 3 minute video is about 325 MB. I compressed them to 960x512 with VidCoder and they're about 50 MB.
This was a really dark, moonless night, but some of the video quality is reasonably good. Notice that you can easily read the license plate and road signs at 1:35.
I'll be stuck working some long shifts for this weekend, but I'll try to get a daytime video up some time thereafter. All in all, it's definitely worth the $50 I paid. And despite the manual saying a 32 GB card was the max capacity, I'm using a Sandisk Class 10 64 GB SDXC card. No problems here.

ETA #2:

A second video. This one has some really dark roads with little lighting. It's not gonna win any Oscars, but it's usable. And a big thanks to the GrayMan for keeping this pinned. Lots of good info from the ARFCommers here.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:41:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#19]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Was that a rolling stop I saw?  

ETA:  
View Quote
I'm sure it was the angle of the lens. It throws off your perspective. Yeah, that's it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

No, but I had my insurance company tell another driver to pound sand when I emailed them the video of him not even being in the car during a minor parking lot fender bender.  After which he started complaining of a neck injury....

Now the wife wants one for Christmas, and I have to re-read this whole thread to see what to get her!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
What are your recommendations for dual channel dash cams?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Great way to start a Saturday at work.  I followed them at a distance while calling 911 and lost them in an apartment complex a couple blocks away.
This is my G1W, not fancy but in the raw video you can see the license number etc.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Great way to start a Saturday at work.  I followed them at a distance while calling 911 and lost them in an apartment complex a couple blocks away.
This is my G1W, not fancy but in the raw video you can see the license number etc.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVTEPhAlpI
View Quote

Interesting sound at 0:37.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Tactical communicator was secured in cargo pocket of my operator cargo pants.  I wasn't operating on a frosty level, this was supposed to be a rear area.  

Later I did laugh that the A Clash of Kings audiobook I was listening to has a sex scene a few minutes before the crash.  That would have been awkward when I send this to the PD and insurance company.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Tactical communicator was secured in cargo pocket of my operator cargo pants.  I wasn't operating on a frosty level, this was supposed to be a rear area.  

Later I did laugh that the A Clash of Kings audiobook I was listening to has a sex scene a few minutes before the crash.  That would have been awkward when I send this to the PD and insurance company.
View All Quotes

Mine is usually secured in the glovebox on my way to and from work - otherwise, it's mounted to the center console within easy reach. Always one in the chamber though, and my Jeep's ignition lock doesn't work anymore so I can unlock the glovebox with the engine on.

I also have a G1W, and I've got the sound off on mine. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't turn it on. I could always strip the audio before sending it in if need be. I don't know how useful it would be anyhow, since my vehicle has no windows 90% of the time or more, but I guess it couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:25:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#29]
Mine is usually secured in the glovebox on my way to and from work - otherwise, it's mounted to the center console within easy reach. Always one in the chamber though, and my Jeep's ignition lock doesn't work anymore so I can unlock the glovebox with the engine on.

I also have a G1W, and I've got the sound off on mine. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't turn it on. I could always strip the audio before sending it in if need be. I don't know how useful it would be anyhow, since my vehicle has no windows 90% of the time or more, but I guess it couldn't hurt.
View Quote

Oh, THAT tactical communicator... well provided for, and not in a cargo pocket.

Yes, I wondered about the audio too.  The G1W has very good audio.  You can hear me accelerate when passing the bus, and it sounds a bit aggressive, but really just downshifting to get from 15ish MPH up to 30ish on this 40 MPH street.  But I figure as a reasonable driver the audio could be useful in a lot more situations than it might hurt you.  Hearing shouts from outside in a road rage situation, for example.  Or recording a discussion at your window.  Do need to figure out a way for it to record when the ignition is off.  I will be looking at a more full-featured model.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Mass Drop is fairly close to having the Blackvue 650 for sale... 151 votes out of 200 needed.  Anyone care to help get it to 200 votes?  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-car-dash-camera

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miker84] [#32]
Anybody for a bit of instant karma this AM?

This is from the other night.  I was driving, and following an LE vehicle.  A guy decides to pass me in a construction zone.  We initially had a dashed-line, but it changes to a solid line in our lane after he passes me (visible on the video).  

Once he is past me, he decides to double-down and pass the next vehicle as well (the LE vehicle).  A car is hiding in a dip in the road (the reason for the solid-line change in our lane), and he has to duck in front of the LE vehicle to avoid a head-on... pretty close too.  

Watch the video for the results (it was spliced together with clips from my front and rear cams).

<a href="http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Car%20Cam/passandstop_zpsawllyrab.mp4" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Car%20Cam/th_passandstop_zpsawllyrab.mp4</a>

View Quote

lol.

I saw something similar a few weeks ago. Probably lost the footage by now. A StateTrooper ahead of me was leading a parade (because everyone was afraid to pass him). A car in my rear view comes zipping through traffic and cuts in front of the trooper. The trooper didn't do anything for a few seconds then he hit the lights.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent. This is why I have front and back cameras, although I'm thinking of getting one of those license plate frame cameras since my rear view camera is mostly tailgate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#34]
View Quote

was it Dallas? If so, you are screwed... The police won't do shit.

Just saw where it was. I live not too far away on Skillman and Walnut Hill.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Anybody for a bit of instant karma this AM?

This is from the other night.  I was driving, and following an LE vehicle.  A guy decides to pass me in a construction zone.  We initially had a dashed-line, but it changes to a solid line in our lane after he passes me (visible on the video).  

Once he is past me, he decides to double-down and pass the next vehicle as well (the LE vehicle).  A car is hiding in a dip in the road (the reason for the solid-line change in our lane), and he has to duck in front of the LE vehicle to avoid a head-on... pretty close too.  

Watch the video for the results (it was spliced together with clips from my front and rear cams).

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Car%20Cam/th_passandstop_zpsawllyrab.mp4

View Quote
Gonna get ya right in the face!

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#37]

Almost got wiped out by a blow-out on a range rover in front of me today.  Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera out of the car and hooked it up (several hours later), it had already been overwritten.
It was pretty epic... trucks swerving through the median, tire rolling down the road...
View Quote

Bummer. We're all hoping for the epic, Russian-style traffic pile-up footage.

What's the capacity on your memory card? What about buying a second SD/MicroSD card to swap out with your existing card, in case of similar events in the future? (I know, I know. Hindsight is 20/20).

Does your dash-cam allow you to push a button, or somehow tell it, "Hey. Don't delete the last 5 minutes"?

Glad you're safe.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#39]

I think it does, but I've never used it.
View All Quotes
Almost got wiped out by a blow-out on a range rover in front of me today.  Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera out of the car and hooked it up (several hours later), it had already been overwritten.

It was pretty epic... trucks swerving through the median, tire rolling down the road...

Bummer. We're all hoping for the epic, Russian-style traffic pile-up footage.
  What's the capacity on your memory card? What about buying a second SD/MicroSD card to swap out with your existing card, in case of similar events in the future? (I know, I know. Hindsight is 20/20).

Does your dash-cam allow you to push a button, or somehow tell it, "Hey. Don't delete the last 5 minutes"?

Glad you're safe.

I think it does, but I've never used it.

mine has a g sensor that will detect a collision or an "event" and auto safe the video.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the education guys...ordered a GW1H and micro SD this morning.

"Wish" I had this in my son's car three weeks ago...some old boy pulled out in front of him from a private road. Our insurance says they are at fault, State Farm says my son was "going too fast for conditions".  How do they know that?

Anyway, looking forward to adding this little backup for my trips around town and state.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Any good deals on a good quality camera this Friday?  I'm ready to get one.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Rossi:
View Quote

+1   The wife is asking for one for Christmas...
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TAP:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAP:
Originally Posted By Rossi:

+2.. was about to post asking what the best price/performance mix is right now.  G1W is back in my truck after repair, but I want a good one for the front and move the G1W to the rear.  $2400 total to repair BTW .  Insurance was no problem, but still nobody wants to see my video
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#44]
Another one...  Was 2 cars behind a co-worker leaving work last night, when a girl ran a yield sign and hit my buddy's back quarter.  Then today the girl tries to claim that she had a "green yield" and wasn't at fault.  Mostly because she gave fake insurance info and is uninsured.  Not too smart with the camera, plus me as a witness, and two other witnesses.  There was also some weirdness, not sure on the details, where her boyfriend claims to be the driver but you can clearly see him getting out of the car from the passenger side

So anyways, love this camera.

Edit:  I sent the video to the insurance company, the same one I use.  So now that I have their address for electronic submissions, I am trying to edit my hit-n-run video down enough to be emailed.  Maybe an unsolicited submission will pique somebody's interest in my case.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I may have just fixed my DOD GS600 camera.  It was corrupting memory cards to the point where they were unusable.  Lots of people seem to have the same problem and I was about ready to toss the camera.  Then I came across one message that said the internal batteries have known issues and the camera turns off before properly closing a file.  The only replacement battery they found was bigger but they made it fit.  I just did the same thing and the camera is working.  Time will tell if that solved the memory card problem or not.  But for less than a $10 I got my $200+ dashcam working again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#47]
So I bought a G1W-C on Amazon, making sure to use Spytec as the vendor and not the cheaper versions.
So far It is pretty decent but it seems to have the problem where it freezes on the WELCOME screen when I start the vehicle.
If it is unplugged from the outlet and plugged back in it does start up but sometimes takes a few tries, could this be the cold weather?
Once it has started up if I shut off the vehicle and restart the camera works fine. Push button start if that matters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#48]
For the G1W-H, how in the world do I set it up to start recording upon start-up? I can only get it to work when I have the motion detection turned on...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:
For the G1W-H, how in the world do I set it up to start recording upon start-up? I can only get it to work when I have the motion detection turned on...

Thanks!
View Quote

Hmm.  I'm sure that there are places on the web that will give you better responses that what you can find here.  Mine records whenever it is powered on.  It must be something in the settings that you can adjust.  look around on youtube; there are a number of videos that go through the setup of the G1W series of cameras.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
So I bought a G1W-C on Amazon, making sure to use Spytec as the vendor and not the cheaper versions.
So far It is pretty decent but it seems to have the problem where it freezes on the WELCOME screen when I start the vehicle.
If it is unplugged from the outlet and plugged back in it does start up but sometimes takes a few tries, could this be the cold weather?
Once it has started up if I shut off the vehicle and restart the camera works fine. Push button start if that matters.
View Quote

I've never had a problem with mine, even in temps well below zero.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top