Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Infrared LEDs will screw up your view by reflecting off the inside of the windshield.  Hope those can be turned off...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CujoTwoOne:
Ordered my first dashcam a Cobra CDR 810, should get it Tuesday from Amazon and hopefully a first impression next weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/CKCt9E8.jpg

Infrared LEDs will screw up your view by reflecting off the inside of the windshield.  Hope those can be turned off...

Yup they can be turned off in the settings according to the online manual.

From the few youtube videos of the cam, night time recording is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Murooka] [#2]
I'm currently looking for a 360 degree camera system that will record all on one drive or disk. The layout would include the standard front/rear views, however the side cameras I'd like to install on the front or side pillars, facing the interior. The system would have to be somewhat low-key or covert. It would need audio as well. Does anyone make something like this?

The only thing I could find was a rearview mirror camera system that was/is being fielded by NYPD, but we're talking only 480p and $2300. I'd prefer something less expensive and at least 720p.

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The op has a Smarty BX1500. Doesn't seem to be very available right now?

Has anyone used the BX1000? it is $160 on Amazon. Looks like it is not HD...
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone seen the Lukas blackbox LK-9700 camera system yet? it appears to be using the same sony exmor camera as their 7900 which has good low light capabilities. anyway, I have one on order and will get it around the second week of June and will do a review on it. It is not cheap but seems to have some good features like: 1080p 30fps, dual save slots (SD and uSD), relatively large viewing screen, built in GPS, second camera and PIP, and the crash stuff all the others have. in addition it has a OBD II module but my car is too old for that. It saves in 5min AVI for normal, 30sec AVI for crash/impact/event. Includes a sort of bat (cap) for when power is removed, it will do a normal shutdown. what I do not know yet is if the record is stopped mid stream (think really big car crash), will that last 5min video segment be corrupt or readable. I will get an answer to that soon, I hope.

This has been a very good thread for me. thanks for all the "discussion".
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I have some video I need to post.  Almost smashed a dog at night in Missouri. I haven't even pulled the video to see what it looks like.  I'll do that tomorrow.  I would buy another lukas in a heartbeat.  Want to eventually get one for the rear view as well.
View Quote

I am getting the duo in a couple of weeks. I am also signing up as a reseller so if I can get a decent discount, I will pass it along to ar15 folks that want one. No promises yet, gotta check things out.

Nolo, see if you can post some night shots...
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoloContendere] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
My G1W had some issues. I was able to get it replaced, but the replacement crapped out too. Probably going to try the Lukas since I can blame Nolo if it ends up being a turd.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Roadhawk HD

Just picked up this camera last week from this ebay auction. Buy it now price of $250
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roadhawk-1080P-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Cam-DVR-Video-Recorder-GPS-G-Sensor-Blackbox-/370859973267

The same seller has the same camera listed on Amazon for $300.

With the ebay auction he has it set up for "make an offer" I offered $200 and it was immediately accepted.

I also purchased the suction cup window mount that he offers because I don't like the peal and stick mounts that come with the camera. It was $10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181246691958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Shipping was fast. Sent priority mail the next business day.

I forgot to take photos right when I opened the box. All photos are after installation. The camera comes with an optional external GPS antenna. They recommend using it if your camera has a hard time connecting with the GPS. My window is so large that it did not have any issues so I did not use it.

Box contents are:

DVR Camera
User manual (actually written in English! easy to follow)
2 mounts with adhesive backing (I haven't looked at them closely but they look like one is just a little longer than the other.)
Cigaret adapter
8GB SD card. (I purchased a 64GB card off amazon for 33 bucks)
Installation CD
A bag of clips with adhesive backing for running the power/gps cables.
GPS Antenna
USB SD card reader. (Used if your computer does not have an SD reader.  

This was very easy to set up. Just mounted it all up and installed the SD card. Once you let it record for a minute you can pull the SD card and put it into your computer. After loading the software it automatically finds the SD card and starts playing the files. You can adjust all the setting from the SD card.

Here are a couple videos from our trip to the beach this weekend. I don't really like how the video doesn't show speed,GPS location, etc. From what I can tell you can only view that info if you have the software downloaded.

These guys were pulling hills at 37MPH

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Am I the only one using a GoPro?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#16]

The lukas shows the speed, time, date etc on the video.  also, it doesn't have a separate GPS antenna.  it's built in to the unit.  another cool thing is that it shows your speed on the unit itself.  Sometimes when I'm driving i look at it instead of my speedometer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By icrpdmeself:
snip

The lukas shows the speed, time, date etc on the video.  also, it doesn't have a separate GPS antenna.  it's built in to the unit.  another cool thing is that it shows your speed on the unit itself.  Sometimes when I'm driving i look at it instead of my speedometer.

The optional GPS antenna is only needed if there is any interference with other GPS items on your windshield, they listed a few other reasons that you might need it. I didn't have to use it, the camera connected to GPS right away.

I like that it has a button on the back. If there is an "event" that you want to reference back to later you just press the button. When you view the videos the "event" files are stored separately. It also makes "event" files if there is a is a hard hit to the vehicle. I went over some train tracks that where pretty rough. It set that file aside as an event.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with the Powerucc Panorama II S without the GPS (learned a lot from my last job reason why I didn't get the gps). Put one in my truck and one in the wife's car. I love them, no complaints at all so far. Well other than the damn G sensor kicking off when I am not expecting it.  I got mine from Korea but they do have a US supplier now. I can get some pics of the instal up and some video as well if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Please explain.  Why didn't you want the GPS?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LEE0452:
I went with the Powerucc Panorama II S without the GPS (learned a lot from my last job reason why I didn't get the gps). Put one in my truck and one in the wife's car. I love them, no complaints at all so far. Well other than the damn G sensor kicking off when I am not expecting it.  I got mine from Korea but they do have a US supplier now. I can get some pics of the instal up and some video as well if anyone is interested.

Please explain.  Why didn't you want the GPS?

I honestly have no use for it. As I know where I am and the video will give my direction of travel and it's already time/date stamped. I don't need a defense attorney or insurance company saying an incident is my fault due to me doing 4 mph over the posted limit. Other than that it has no realistic value other than a spiffy add on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I officially want one of these to catch the jackasses who pull out in front of me/merge into my lane/etc while I'm on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RollerToaster:
I officially want one of these to catch the jackasses who pull out in front of me/merge into my lane/etc while I'm on my motorcycle.
View Quote

Someone else my know better than I on this but for a motorcycle I would look at using a gopro. Not sure of any dash cams that can stand up to the abuse a bike gives along with being exposed to the elements. I have wanted to get one for my bike as well but not sure I want to record what could possibly be my own demise...

An oldie but a goodie...
Bike v car
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
This thing is on the do not buy list. The camera itself isn't bad, but the mount on it is so dreadful that the damn camera flies off the mount if there's even a scintilla of g force on the car. Swerve to dodge somebody merging into your lane without looking and you'll take the goddamn camera to the fucking face.
View Quote

Ha! I got that exact one except it has the capacitor and not the battery. I'm using the clamp mount and it seems pretty sturdy, but I can see how it can just slide right off given enough force. Maybe a few zip ties? Everybody's zipping their gadgets onto their rails nowadays, why not a dash cam too?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Murooka:
I'm currently looking for a 360 degree camera system that will record all on one drive or disk. The layout would include the standard front/rear views, however the side cameras I'd like to install on the front or side pillars, facing the interior. The system would have to be somewhat low-key or covert. It would need audio as well. Does anyone make something like this?

The only thing I could find was a rearview mirror camera system that was/is being fielded by NYPD, but we're talking only 480p and $2300. I'd prefer something less expensive and at least 720p.

http://ii.brickhousesecurity.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/brickhousesecurity//source/151-AV360_1.tif&wid=335&cvt=jpeg
View Quote

There was a kickstarter project that was offering a 4K, 360° recording, wifi enabled camera; sadly they were unable to meet their funding. I'm still gonna keep my eye on them......

http://www.centrcam.com/
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By LonghornAR:
Ha! I got that exact one except it has the capacitor and not the battery. I'm using the clamp mount and it seems pretty sturdy, but I can see how it can just slide right off given enough force. Maybe a few zip ties? Everybody's zipping their gadgets onto their rails nowadays, why not a dash cam too?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LonghornAR:

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

This thing is on the do not buy list. The camera itself isn't bad, but the mount on it is so dreadful that the damn camera flies off the mount if there's even a scintilla of g force on the car. Swerve to dodge somebody merging into your lane without looking and you'll take the goddamn camera to the fucking face.

I have that model too and I was just thinking about how WELL the suction cup was holding up. I live in SoFla and the sun beats down on the windshield, mine has never fallen off. You probably have a bad mount. Maybe try to return it?

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#28]
Well it happened.

Was hit by an 18 Wheeler on saturday in Downtown Dallas by a 19 year old driver. He tried to place blame on me, etc... once I pointed out that little black looking box thingy under my rear view mirror his story changed... drastically. fucker!

When talking to my insurance company, she told me to hold off on giving their insurance the video just yet. She said to see how well they play ball. I sent her a copy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Well??

We have rules here...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCV:
Well it happened.

Was hit by an 18 Wheeler on saturday in Downtown Dallas by a 19 year old driver. He tried to place blame on me, etc... once I pointed out that little black looking box thingy under my rear view mirror his story changed... drastically. fucker!

When talking to my insurance company, she told me to hold off on giving their insurance the video just yet. She said to see how well they play ball. I sent her a copy.

Well??

We have rules here...

I will, I want to hold off posting it on the internet, its pretty anti-climatic anyways. here is pic of damage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]
its a 2 month old truck, and my 3 2014 Tacoma at that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]

I see it now... The scratches down the side?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCV:
its a 2 month old truck, and my 3 2014 Tacoma at that.

I see it now... The scratches down the side?

mainly the rim and the chunk of rubber off the tire.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder...

Does anyone make a decent outdoor camera for this application?

My cucv already has the holes (filled with bondo) for the external antenna bracket.  I could mount a camera to that without adding any new holes to the body of the car and avoid the whole glass windshield problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#36]
Seriously looking at a Lukas 7900 ACE or FHD right now.  Both are $250 on Amazon.

Where are people putting their rear-facing cameras, if they have them?  In the front it seems like the rearview mirror would camouflage it pretty well from a casual glance by a person walking by.  In the rear however, sticking a camera right underneath the cyclops seems like it would both impede your own view as well as being a pretty obvious theft target.  Could you stick it in a corner and still have it work well?

Also, how are people doing cable management for their front cams?  It seems that for the vast majority of these things the batteries aren't going to give you much record time, so you wire it to the cig lighter.  How do you keep the power cord out of your way and not just dangling down?  Or is that just the cost of doing business?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#38]
I could make my own youtube channel full of the retarded drivers of Dallas.

Recorded this gym on Friday. Lady was texting and almost rear ended a guy. It's at the very end. I may have yelled at her.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#39]

run it up along the top of the windshield, down the driver's side pillar, and under the carpet/floormat.  You can get a cigarette lighter fuse adapter and use that.  i have mine just going to the cig lighter.  i lose that space, but have another power port in my console.    you can't even see mine, and i did nothing but press the wire up behind the headliner/windshield area.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
Seriously looking at a Lukas 7900 ACE or FHD right now.  Both are $250 on Amazon.

Where are people putting their rear-facing cameras, if they have them?  In the front it seems like the rearview mirror would camouflage it pretty well from a casual glance by a person walking by.  In the rear however, sticking a camera right underneath the cyclops seems like it would both impede your own view as well as being a pretty obvious theft target.  Could you stick it in a corner and still have it work well?

Also, how are people doing cable management for their front cams?  It seems that for the vast majority of these things the batteries aren't going to give you much record time, so you wire it to the cig lighter.  How do you keep the power cord out of your way and not just dangling down?  Or is that just the cost of doing business?

run it up along the top of the windshield, down the driver's side pillar, and under the carpet/floormat.  You can get a cigarette lighter fuse adapter and use that.  i have mine just going to the cig lighter.  i lose that space, but have another power port in my console.    you can't even see mine, and i did nothing but press the wire up behind the headliner/windshield area.

How long is the power cord?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:12:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#41]

I had a car stereo place direct-wire mine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

Also, how are people doing cable management for their front cams? It seems that for the vast majority of these things the batteries aren't going to give you much record time, so you wire it to the cig lighter.  How do you keep the power cord out of your way and not just dangling down?  Or is that just the cost of doing business?

I had a car stereo place direct-wire mine.

Did mine myself. It's stupid easy, just takes time to run the cables.

I use a Power Magic Pro so I can still record when the car is turned off, my Camera is Motion Activated and has a G-sensor in case somebody hits it.

The Power Magic Pro is extremely easy to use, tap into one fuse that has constant power such as your Doors or Emergency Flashers, another fuse that only works when the car is powered on such as cigarette lighter, and then ground the other wire. Takes 5 minutes total to set up. The hard part is running the wires so it has a clean look. I had to remove some plastic panels in my Tacoma, but the only wire visible is on the top of the windshield.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Are these what people use to record traffic stops, too?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone using the Lukas 9700 Duo?  It has a ton of features including front and rear cameras, plus it copies event recordings to a second SD card.  Price is a bit steep at $350 but it gives you two cameras.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Anyone using the Lukas 9700 Duo?  It has a ton of features including front and rear cameras, plus it copies event recordings to a second SD card.  Price is a bit steep at $350 but it gives you two cameras.

http://lukasstore.com/2ch-dash-cam/new-lukas-lk-9700-duo-b-type-dash-2ch-cam-full-hd-built-in-gps-sony-sensor-car-black-box.html

http://lukasstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/k/lk9700_01_4.jpg
View Quote

It has good specs. May pick one up for the wives car.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Anybody have experience with the recently released Garmin Dash Cam 10 and/or 20?  I'm looking at all the options and these look like they *might* be ok.  I'm a little hesitant to spend the money on others because they're either cheap (and hit or miss regarding quality) or cost a good bit more from companies I've never heard of.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By krichbaum:
Anybody have experience with the recently released Garmin Dash Cam 10 and/or 20?  I'm looking at all the options and these look like they *might* be ok.  I'm a little hesitant to spend the money on others because they're either cheap (and hit or miss regarding quality) or cost a good bit more from companies I've never heard of.
View Quote

Didn't know it was out yet
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By krichbaum:
View Quote

Just remember that a lot of those companies are ones you've never heard of only because you live in the US.  Overseas, many of these companies are quite well known.

I do find it odd that Sony/Magnavox/Panasonic/JVC/etc etc haven't jumped into the private consumer level dash cam market.  As time goes on, I think you'll see some of the bigger players jump into this market.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I wish people would put what camera they used in their videos.  This one was pretty darn clear.

http://view.break.com/2627449
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#50]
Originally Posted By Shqype:
Are these what people use to record traffic stops, too?
View Quote

I have the mini0801 and GW1-c. The 0801(the little one) wont work for this but the GW1 will work fine for this with its suction cup mount depending how you mount it. Mounted like this I can easily swivel it from looking forward to look at me and out the window say during a stop.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top