Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Anyone here have their cam running when the car is off? Had my A119 about a month wired like that, and I didn't drive for a few days and my car battery died. What's a safe no-start timeframe or way to avoid this?
View Quote

I have mine on (almost) all the time. I run the multi safer battery cut off. I've never had a dead truck battery and normally park in my garage so if the multi safer kills the camera it's gonna be at my house.

The only annoying thing about it is my truck will sense low voltage sometimes and then it will kill the radio as soon as the key switch turns off instead of playing until I open the door. First world problems but annoying.

Multi Safer
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking about putting a LiPo USB battery pack in the car, with the cigarette lighter charger. It supplies USB power to the camera continuously and recharges when the car is running. When the car is off, there is no drain on the car battery and the battery brick should carry the camera at least overnight. I figure it's worth a $40 experiment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#6]
Thread Tagged*

Hi guys I'm new to the world of dash cams and I want to get one, So I need your help.

Let me explain, a couple of days ago I almost got rear ended by a lady who wasn't paying attention, I was stopped behind two cars, the one in front was turning into a gas station. So we had to stop and wait for traffic to clear up for him to turn, well the lady behind me wasn't paying attention and next thing I know I hear tires screeching and I see her just miss me I later check the damage to my rear bumper and there's a small scratch (son of a B****) But I can live with it. After that day I said to my self "I need extra protection" in case she said It was my fault (I don't know why, people where I live are stupid, no joke )

So I need a dash cam setup, he is what I'm working with:

I drive a 2000 Sable
I need a front a rear camera
I am a Volunteer FF/EMT, So I would like something to help with that in case I get hit when responding to calls (something that could dock my speed limit so LEO can see I wasn't speeding)
I run Blue lights (for volunteers) so I have them hooked up to my battery, meaning I would like something that doesn't draw alot of power.
I don't need audio
I don't think I need to on all the time, just when I drive (or should I have it on all the time?)
I'm working with $150-225, can be more if needed
I have no wifi in car, just at my home where it's parked

Could someone please help a newbie out and point me in the right direction
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:20:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#7]
PA-Minuteman: 

Since you're mentioning the near-miss rear end accident, are you wanting a dual camera setup? If you want one that runs two cameras and is integrated together, consider the BlackVue 650 2 channel. But you'll have to bump up your budget a bit. I believe TheGrayman (moderator) runs a 650.

Or, you can run two, independent cameras. They don't talk to each other. But as long as you have the time and date set up on each one, you could still synchronize the footage if needed.

I have my cameras set up with switched power. When the ignition is on, the camera is on. Turn off the car, camera turns off. This works fine for me, but I do park inside an enclosed garage at night and don't have to worry about my car much. 

What do you mean by, "something that could dock my speed limit so LEO can see I wasn't speeding"? Do you want your speed to show on the recording or NOT show on the recording. Once you get beyond the cheaper, entry level cameras, you'll find that most dashcams will record your speed on the recording. Of course, you can turn it off. Similarly, you can get a GPS-enabled cameras that will record GPS coordinates as well, if you want. 

If you're only running on a switched circuit (rather than an always-on circuit), I don't know that I'd worry much about the amperage draw of a camera or two. I'd think your blue lights are pulling way more current than that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#8]
Originally Posted By eastonj:
PA-Minuteman: 

Since you're mentioning the near-miss rear end accident, are you wanting a dual camera setup? If you want one that runs two cameras and is integrated together, consider the BlackVue 650 2 channel. But you'll have to bump up your budget a bit. I believe TheGrayman (moderator) runs a 650.

Or, you can run two, independent cameras. They don't talk to each other. But as long as you have the time and date set up on each one, you could still synchronize the footage if needed.

I have my cameras set up with switched power. When the ignition is on, the camera is on. Turn off the car, camera turns off. This works fine for me, but I do park inside an enclosed garage at night and don't have to worry about my car much. 

What do you mean by, "something that could dock my speed limit so LEO can see I wasn't speeding"? Do you want your speed to show on the recording or NOT show on the recording. Once you get beyond the cheaper, entry level cameras, you'll find that most dashcams will record your speed on the recording. Of course, you can turn it off. Similarly, you can get a GPS-enabled cameras that will record GPS coordinates as well, if you want. 

If you're only running on a switched circuit (rather than an always-on circuit), I don't know that I'd worry much about the amperage draw of a camera or two. I'd think your blue lights are pulling way more current than that.
View Quote
I probably will run a dual camera setup. How much more money are we talking?

As for the speed limit thing, In case I get into an accident while responding I can show PD that I wasn't speeding or driving like a moron. That way I'm covered.
And for my lights, I run them through a controller that runs power to them, but if it's off it doesn't pull any power from the battery. So I can turn them on just by hitting 2 buttons and there on, when off It doesn't draw any power
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
BlackVue 650 2 channel is closer to $350-400. FYI.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
well then I better start saving
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Got my 650 for under $300 with the multi safer @ massdrop. They don't currently have them up but if you request and watch the site they will be back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I signed up for Massdrop and there is 170 requests for it. So hopefully that is  good sign.

Since I requested it, it says it will send me an email when it goes live again, so when it goes live I still have a choice if I wanna buy it right? or will it automatically charge me?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Yes.

You'll get an email.
View Quote
Ok thanks!

Two more questions,
1. When do you think it will go live again
2. What was the price?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:05:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#17]

No idea to the first.  

As to the second, I'm pretty sure it was <300 bucks.
View Quote
Well ok

Thanks for the info, I'll guess i will keep an eye on it
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Well ok

Thanks for the info, I'll guess i will keep an eye on it
View Quote

I'd be surprised if they don't have them for sale again when they hit 200 requests.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#19]
Ok thanks!

Two more questions,
2. What was the price?
View Quote
And just like that, the Blackvue is available once again on Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-car-dash-camera

Currently $289. If 20 people commit to buy, the cost will be $259.

ETA: Now at $259.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

That's a good deal, may have to grab a second one
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#21]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes

Do I need the Power Magic Pro add-on or is it a waste of $25?

Also, if 20 commit, do all 20 have to actually follow through and make the purchase for the price to drop to $259?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

Do I need the Power Magic Pro add-on or is it a waste of $25?

Also, if 20 commit, do all 20 have to actually follow through and make the purchase for the price to drop to $259?
View Quote

The power magic pro is what allows you to hardwire the camera so it's on all the time without draining your car battery to levels that won't be able to start your car.

I assume commitment means you will follow through. I've only purchased so I don't know how easy it is to back out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]

I've just not used massdrop before.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#24]
good thing I checked this thread, I didn't get an email saying it was live

Also the power magic pro, you say it allows you to keep your camera on all the time without draining your battery?

My plan is this:

Have it only record when I turn the key on/start driving,
BUT now that you said with this Power magic pro I can keep it on all the time without draining the battery, how so?

EDIT: for the people (if any) already dropped on this, what is the price for shipping?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Power Magic Pro
View Quote
thanks!

Very helpful video, I'm going to go on the drop later this week. Gotta get money in the bank

Anyone know the shipping price?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#27]
thanks!

Very helpful video, I'm going to go on the drop later this week. Gotta get money in the bank

View Quote

When I bought mine shipping was $7.75 to MN
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#28]
so shoot for $300 for everything, gotcha
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#29]
thanks!

View Quote
The Massdrop page says $8.25 shipping. Pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Ok thanks!

Two more questions,
2. What was the price?

Whelp, that seals it for me, I'm in.  My first dash cam.  
Big thanks to all of you guys who have posted your experiences with these.  And a big thanks to eastonj for posting this deal!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Another battery saver for your consideration is the Vicovation Power Plus.
It offers a greater range of settings that won't drain the battery as much
as the Power magic pro.  I've been using one with the black vue camera
for several months now and it has been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all the info in here.

I jumped on the Massdrop for the dash cam.  I've never used Massdrop before, first I've heard of them.  

Since the order ends tomorrow, when can we expect the cams to ship to us?  The price was great, so I'm going to attempt to be patient.  I'm spoiled by my Amazon Prime most days  ;)
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By learfxr:
Thanks for all the info in here.

I jumped on the Massdrop for the dash cam.  I've never used Massdrop before, first I've heard of them.  

Since the order ends tomorrow, when can we expect the cams to ship to us?  The price was great, so I'm going to attempt to be patient.  I'm spoiled by my Amazon Prime most days  ;)
View Quote

Estimated ship date is February 17th. They do a good job of keeping you updated via email.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bill3rail] [#36]
Tons of information in this thread.  Thank you all!  I stopped by Micro Center, and saw they had three or four models.  One was tagged at $190.00., but on sale for $99.99.
It looked like the best one they had so I bought it.  
Papago LORA GoSafe 381

I posted a video to show resolution.  To the untrained eye, it seems to look good.  

To the average idiot don't do like I did, make sure you remove the blue plastic on the lens...

Papago LORA GoSafe 381 Dash Camera test video quality

Direct You Tube Link because AFRCOM's "Insert Youtube" does not work!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have a Rexing S300? I am looking at this model and have been through the recent threads here and on youtube.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I recently had an accident and having one of these would prob have saved me a $500 deductible so I'm gonna get one for future insurance plus there have been a lot of car breakins lately.

How does massdrop work if you have an issue with what you receive?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:30:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: louisianarebel] [#39]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Is Massdrop legit?  That's $110 cheaper than Amazon!

Anyone use the second "rear" camera as an inside cabin view?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By edcurtis:

View Quote
Massdrop is definitely legit. I've spent far too much money with them.

Never used the second camera as I don't yet have a BlackVue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Yes, many here have used massdrop including myself.

I haven't but it would be easy. You into that sex taxi stuff?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Massdrop is legit.  

And my second camera looks out the back window... but I suppose it could be used for an interior view.
View Quote

Cameras at work look in. More trouble for you than what its worth.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Yes.  I drive Uber.  Luckily I've only had one violent threat of attacks so far but it would have been nice to have it on cam.  I know BlackVue has the infrared cam for interior, but not sure if I can buy that separate or add it to this kit.

But still.. $259 seems like a screaming deal for this setup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Yes.  I drive Uber.  Luckily I've only had one violent threat of attacks so far but it would have been nice to have it on cam.  I know BlackVue has the infrared cam for interior, but not sure if I can buy that separate or add it to this kit.

View Quote
So with an Uber setup, would you put the 1080p camera facing out the front and mount the 720p camera on the windshield as well, so that it captures video of you and your fares? That would seem to be the way to go. Out of curiosity, does Uber have any particular policies or prohibitions about dashcams and/or filming the riders?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edcurtis] [#47]
So with an Uber setup, would you put the 1080p camera facing out the front and mount the 720p camera on the windshield as well, so that it captures video of you and your fares? That would seem to be the way to go. Out of curiosity, does Uber have any particular policies or prohibitions about dashcams and/or filming the riders?
View Quote

I'm just not sure if it would work because of low light inside along with my dark window tint.  So that's why I was also interested in the IR version.  Tons of Uber drivers have cameras, I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Anyone have dark tint with these?  I have 5% and think it would be near impossible for these cameras to work at night.  Well, the front one could be mounted low on the dash.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Since you really do need it, I think I'd add this
http://www.thedashcamstore.com/replacement-infrared-ir-camera-for-blackvue-dr650gw-s-2ch-ir-system/
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Since you really do need it, I think I'd add this
http://www.thedashcamstore.com/replacement-infrared-ir-camera-for-blackvue-dr650gw-s-2ch-ir-system/
View Quote

Thanks!

I could probably do that and sell the rear cam from MassDrop. and come out good on the deal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top