BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
The power-magic pro I got was junk... failed the first time I hooked it up.  I used a different setup that I bought on Amazon.  

I don't like that it's missing the GPS... and the wifi is a very convenient route to get video off the device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Ryan13:

Originally Posted By Ryan13:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Blackvue DR3500-FHD?

haven't played with that one.

Here's a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYwhzXyB03g

Thanks, I watched that already. It looks like it's pretty similar to the 650 minus some extra features like wifi and it doesn't have the Sony CMOS. Will the sensor make that much of a difference? Also, do I need the Power Magic Pro to hardwire it or something different?

The power-magic pro I got was junk... failed the first time I hooked it up.  I used a different setup that I bought on Amazon.  

I don't like that it's missing the GPS... and the wifi is a very convenient route to get video off the device.

The 650 is a little out of my price range and I don't think I need the GPS but figure I can always add it on later. I like the size of the camera and the fact that it has the parking mode. I'm open to other options if you have any recommendations. I am new to this.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got the Mini 0805 to replace my old G1W and it has been good so far. I like that it is smaller and easier to conceal and that it has a built in GPS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By greatshoe:
I have the A118-C bought here Amazon Link

It is a great camera I've been using it for little over 6 months now.  Picture quality is ok, i would say it gets the job done.  Due to the form factor it just disappears which is why I love it so much.  It has indicator lights and a screen (you can disable) so you know its working.  
I used to have a Lucas Ace which was over $200 and the picture quality is just a tad worse with the A118, but that thing was huge and easy to notice from the outside.  I think that it's better not to advertise.
View Quote

I have the same camera from a different vendor on Amazon. I'm really happy with mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightwolf357] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:31:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lord_Grey_Boots] [#5]
Well, my second G1W crapped out. It was the G1W-C version.
This one only lasted 2 months or so.
Need to figure out a more robust solution.

Update: The camera is working fine. I pinched the power wires during my installation, it eventually failed. My fault.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a recent reader survey on Jalopnik, asking about people's favorite dash-cams. There are definitely some familiar faces here. I have two of the models mentioned.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#7]

I have no idea what was going on but there was a huge WSP response to... whatever it was. Nothing on the news yet.

The interesting part was I was passed by three or four WSP running balls out over the 520 bridge eastbound, then when I was stuck in traffic on the onramp another three or four passed below me on 405N.

ETA: it was a car suspected of being stolen that was not, in fact, stolen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RyJones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIGja4l8Zs

I have no idea what was going on but there was a huge WSP response to... whatever it was. Nothing on the news yet.

The interesting part was I was passed by three or four WSP running balls out over the 520 bridge eastbound, then when I was stuck in traffic on the onramp another three or four passed below me on 405N.

ETA: it was a car suspected of being stolen that was not, in fact, stolen.
View Quote

Looks like they sent the whole department over there?    Whatever or whoever was in that should be very interesting.   At least for them.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nightwolf357:
Well I took the plunge, I ordered the G1W-B on Amazon from black box. The reason I chose this one is mainly due to price I had considered the Mini 805 but looking at the reviews, it did not have the satisfaction rating as the G1W. There was also not much of a review here on the mini. With this information on hand and the lack of a post here basically rating the cameras versus the prices (for reference purposes), I decided on the G1W. Being on a tight limited budget is also what helped me make my choice. When it gets here I will take pics with the unboxing so others can see what came with it.

Link to the camera I purchased

View Quote

I have that camera in my car right now. The only issue that I have had is that, over the past winter, the cold weather killed the battery and now it will not hold a charge, so the time and date always read 01/01/2000. This is even after taking the camera inside and charging it overnight. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly. I may swap it out for the capacitor version.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#10]
So got the G1W.  Love it, works great.  I'm impressed by the video quality.

My only issue is, how do rig it so it automatically turns on when the car is on? and off when the ignition is off.  Right now I have to manually turn it on, after I plug it in to the cig lighter.

Can you wire it to the fuse box?  How would that work, b/c it doesn't turn on when it gets power.

Just found these things.

Add a circuit

now gotta find out which fuse port I can use.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:53:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#11]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:

My only issue is, how do rig it so it automatically turns on when the car is on? and off when the ignition is off.  Right now I have to manually turn it on, after I plug it in to the cig lighter.

Can you wire it to the fuse box?  How would that work, b/c it doesn't turn on when it gets power.

Just found these things.

Add a circuit

View Quote

I picked up a fuse tap like you linked, a buck module to get the power levels where the should be and get a USB port in there that I could route a cable to, and then just installed it myself.  It was really simple.  You just have to use a fuse location that is ignition-hot.  I used my radio fuse.  Then I just bought a long USB cable and ran it around my frame and windshield up to the camera.  Now, when I turn on my car, my camera does too, and it turns off when the car does.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

I picked up a fuse tap like you linked, a buck module to get the power levels where the should be and get a USB port in there that I could route a cable to, and then just installed it myself.  It was really simple.  You just have to use a fuse location that is ignition-hot.  I used my radio fuse.  Then I just bought a long USB cable and ran it around my frame and windshield up to the camera.  Now, when I turn on my car, my camera does too, and it turns off when the car does.
View All Quotes

Just found these things.

Add a circuit

Neat, will give this a shot and report back.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Just found these things.

Add a circuit

I used this instead, ran the cable from the camera, under the edge of the headliner, and down under the right side panels to the wiring harness under the passenger kick panel. I spliced it in with Posi-taps to switched power so it comes on when the car is on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're going to tailgate...
View Quote

LOL.  A co-worker of mine did a brake check similar and the guy behind him rolled his car.  The state police showed up at said co-worker's house the next morning to arrest him.  5 years probation and anger management classes.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

LOL.  A co-worker of mine did a brake check similar and the guy behind him rolled his car.  The state police showed up at said co-worker's house the next morning to arrest him.  5 years probation and anger management classes.  
View All Quotes

I'm not sure what the speed of this video is - I assume 1x - but it sure took a long time for the brake lights on the following SUV to light up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Don't know how that charge stuck.
View All Quotes

Don't know how that charge stuck.
I was wondering this as well. Was there video of this incident? Did the guy who rolled somehow remember the other guy's license plate?

When the cops show up, what if you say, "I have nothing to say." Can they confirm you were the driver?

If pressed, what if you say, "I thought there was something in the lane, and I stepped on the brakes to avoid it."

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Nightwolf357:
Don't know how you found that one RyJones, that happened out in my AO a bit north of me on highway 41 near Appleton/ Little Chute.

here is a news follow up. WBAY news
View Quote

thanks for the follow up. It was on the front page of reddit about a half dozen times
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Jalopnik has a story on this as well. Reading the comments is interesting. They come down to the following conclusions:

1. Brake checkers are idiots

2. Tailgaters are idiot and this is just karma

3. Both groups are idiots.

In the whole video, the brake-checker was in the process of passing the silver minivan in the right lane and wasn't going excessively slowly. The Trailblazer was completely retarded and was only a couple of feet from the bumper. So, I think they're both idiots, but I do feel just a tiny amount of sympathy with the brake-checker and I was enjoying some Schadenfreude at the Trailblazer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
From today at lunch.

No serious injuries.

http://vid1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/3-16-2016-Accident_zpsx9z6j7te.mp4

I did find it strange that I had to cut the passenger airbag away. It never deflated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#24]
Were you blocking the red SUV in? Looked like they were going to keep rolling.

I don't mean escape, just looked like they weren't sitting on the brake
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#25]
Were you blocking the red SUV in? Looked like they were going to keep rolling.

I don't mean escape, just looked like they weren't sitting on the brake
View Quote

No, he stopped on his own. I was mainly wanting to get out of traffic and that seemed like the best place.

I had to break out the black car's driver window and cut away the airbag.

The door was jammed shut on both vehicles. I could tell the red car driver was more or less okay, so I went to the black car first.

Just cuts and bruises on both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
How old were the respective occupants?
View Quote

The red GMC driver was in his 60s. The driver of the black Nissan was in her 30s.

She was having a panic attack, and was screaming about bleeding and dying.

The older guy was just upset he had caused an accident.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Even the dog was OK.  
View All Quotes

Even the dog was OK.  

That guy may be "standing" leaning against the rail at the end of the video - but he's hurt and probably wasn't on his feet for long.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't have a proper "dash-cam" for my four-wheeled vehicles, but I do have a GoPro stuck to the front of my motorcycle helmet. Still haven't gotten any cool rides on video, but I did catch this gem today:

https://youtu.be/v18j3CJlY9Q
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By smith505:
I don't have a proper "dash-cam" for my four-wheeled vehicles, but I do have a GoPro stuck to the front of my motorcycle helmet. Still haven't gotten any cool rides on video, but I did catch this gem today:

View Quote

iPotato link (made hot) and embedded.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#34]

The "Oh sh*t!" look on her face was priceless.  
View Quote

You mean this one?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
One, two, three, four go! WAIT! Never mind.

After viewing a few times I think the van driver saw the green right turn lights and just kept on going straight. Missed three lanes, didn't miss #4.

Could have been a lot worse I suppose.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have one with embedded GPS coordinates and speedometer? Looking for one at a decent price.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DefMan:
Anyone have one with embedded GPS coordinates and speedometer? Looking for one at a decent price.
View Quote

I think most of them do that. I usually have it disabled because they record a log to the SD card, so I don't need it on the video, too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#38]
What are some good mid range price 2 camera systems these days? My POV was just totaled after being T boned in a parking lot and it would have been nice to have one for the accident and subsequent claims of fault.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:23:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#40]
I was hoping to keep it under $500....
Which that camera system looks like it does.
Does that system record audio inside the car as well, or is it strictly video?

How hard is it to mount/install? Does it require professional installation, or is it a DIY kinda thing?

I see that there are several versions available on Amazon, from 16 gb all the way to 128 gb. If they record to memory card, is there a benefit to the larger capacity versions?

Thanks for the info TGM....

ETA - started reading the questions and answer sections and saw that it will record audio from inside the car and the larger capacity refers to the SD cards that come with it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Just watched a couple of Youtube videos of the BlackVue 650 and it looks pretty good.

Amazon shows little plastic picks and wedges as recommended tools to aid in installation for removing car door panels and A piller panels....

Do you feel these are worthwhile to purchase? I've never torn apart my car's interior so I have no experience with useful tools etc...

Thanks for the suggestion of the BlackVue....that is now on my list of things to buy.

If I had one during my recent accident, it would have paid for itself by not costing me my deductible at the very least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By DefMan:

View Quote
Most midrange and nearly all high-end units will have both features. I have the speedometer setting disabled. I don't want my speed recorded on a video that I might submit to insurance or the police. More likely to hurt you then help you.

"Mr. J, we see that you are doing 67 in a 60 zone just a few seconds before the collision. Even though the other driver is at fault, we're going to assign you 10% responsibility and deny your claim."

Paranoid, perhaps. But I've got Waze running as well, and it has a speedometer. I think the date and timestamp is much more valuable from an evidentiary standpoint.

(I am not a lawyer)

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Is anyone using the Garmin Dash Cam 35?

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#46]

I had mine done by car stereo places... It was worth it not to screw up my interiors
View Quote

Does the Blackvue overwrite older recordings or do you have to wipe them? I can't find that answer

anywhere on the Blackvue site. BTW I did take you advice on it. It is installed now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#48]

I've done the BlackVue 650 dual-channel cameras in all of my vehicles.  

How much are you looking to spend?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MaxxII:

What are some good mid range price 2 camera systems these days? My POV was just totaled after being T boned in a parking lot and it would have been nice to have one for the accident and subsequent claims of fault.

I've done the BlackVue 650 dual-channel cameras in all of my vehicles.  

How much are you looking to spend?
The BV 650 is a great setup

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#49]
Well I got backed into tonight in a parking lot.

I was backing into a spot when the dumb bitch got in her car and just started backing up right into me. I guarantee dumb bitch will try to spin it as my fault. Dumb bitch has no idea I caught everything on camera.

yes, dumb bitch is exactly the type you think she is.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top