User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RyJones:
gifv
http://i.imgur.com/lyFB18P.gif

I understand not wanting to drive on a flat before you change it, but at least get out of the road
View Quote

First world drivers. Sometimes cars get disabled - zero excuse to hit a stationary object on the road like that. I can sort of understand if the car beforme him swerved at the last minute, so he had no warning. But that guy could have caused a wreck even had he not got the car himself.

Sheesh, I really should post some of my drives. It's such a pain in the ass, though. Usually takes a day to upload a video. This thread has me wanting to buy a nice system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Kitulu:

I have this cam. It works fairly well, but I have a power issue with it. Running a harness to hard-wire it, it kills my radio reception. I've tried three different grounding points, to no avail. If I unplug the camera, the radio works fine. I didn't want to use the stock 12v plug because all of my power ports are "always on".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Originally Posted By kar98k:

Originally Posted By SWIRE:

For those looking for a cheap dash cam here is current deal.  The G1W has been praised a lot here for cheap and decent quality.  The G1W-C uses a capacitor instead of a battery.  The deal is on the G1W-CB which is a capacitor and a black ring instead of silver ring around the lens.  This makes it less noticeable in vehicle.

The G1W-CB sells between $50 and $60 on Amazon with free shipping.  Gear Best has the camera for $37.14 with free shipping.  I've used Gear Best for lots of things and they are good to go.  Shipping takes 1 to 2 weeks but you can save money by being patient.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_196898.html

your link-fu is weak

fixed

I have this cam. It works fairly well, but I have a power issue with it. Running a harness to hard-wire it, it kills my radio reception. I've tried three different grounding points, to no avail. If I unplug the camera, the radio works fine. I didn't want to use the stock 12v plug because all of my power ports are "always on".
I have the same issue with mine but through the USB adapter for the dash cam my cell phone charger and satellite radio all plug in to 12v cigarette lighter ports. All of them generate so much RFI  that they raise the noise floor on my 2m and 6m amateur radios 30db+ rendering them unusable.

this has been a common problem --You find it in car forums, small aircraft forums,scanner listener forums etc as soon as you plug the adapter or wire in the unit that converts 12vdc to 5.1vdc --boom--RF noise out the wazoo due to the circuitry used. Some guys have made one off filtered units

to do the trick. The aircraft guys can buy a $400 panel mount dual USB port that keeps it from making RFI that interferes with radios and navigation--not a practical solution for most of us. Hopefully someone will make an adapter soon that does not generate interference. The first dash cam I had made so much "noise" I lost radio reception from my stereo drastically when it was powered.

this one here is supposed to be RF quiet according to others that have used it,but I wont know if it works for me till I get one and try it out...https://www.amazon.com/iFlash%C2%AE-Charger-Support-Versions-Upgraded/dp/B009121ENK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1472753469&sr=8-12&keywords=iflash+usb+car+charger
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Any firsthand experience with the Dashcam Pro that was advertised on tv?

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
For those with the blackvue....

I really wished I would have mounted the rear camera on the windshield facing backwards so everything in the car is recorded as well. I am going to do that when I upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BCV:

I really wished I would have mounted the rear camera on the windshield facing backwards so everything in the car is recorded as well. I am going to do that when I upgrade.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

+1

I back-window-mounted mine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Originally Posted By BCV:

Why?

+1

I back-window-mounted mine.

I see merit and difficulty in both models. TBH I won't be doing a rear window mount again - I don't need a static video of the bed of my truck! Next one will be license plate frame or lip. I've seen some cool custom mounts online. I'm torn - a license plate mount means it's at the right place to get the guy behind me but if it's higher off the pavement it's better.

At this point I'm considering side-mounted cameras. Why not go 360?

For OP's problem I would get a BlackVue dual channel (the one that has two cameras in one fixture) to cover forward and interior, then another on the back of the car somehow.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Well my 1 month old Thinkware F770 failed.  It acts like everything is okay, but I am unable to connect over wifi and it records no videos to the microsd cards.  I have tried multiple cards formatted a variety of ways on different computers and inside the camera itself.  Big waste of $450.

The BlackVue 2 channel 550 and 650 are not the best in the world but they generally seemed to work.

I think the heat killed the Thinkware even though it wasn't exposed to more than low 90s ambient (obviously quite a bit hotter inside the car on the windshield, but not 100 plus ambient like can be seen in Dallas) on the windshield before I started taking it off the windshield when parked.

I would avoid the Thinkware for the time being.

I need to check for firmware updates just in case.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm still rocking the Garmin Dash Cam 20 after hundreds of thousands of mile in the Peterbilt(s).

(pic representative)

As long as you use a quality SD card and DON'T REMOVE THE SD CARD (instead use a USB to download content) it is stable as you could ever want.  SD card errors make the dash cam freeze. I turn it on on Monday morning and (usually) turn it off on Saturday morning when my work week is over.  I've left it on for hundreds of hours before.  Since I'm a carhauler I leave it on at night in case someone hits my truck if I'm parked overnight on the road.

Some videos, again.  Keep in mind that the Dash Cam 20 records in full 1080p and YouTube processing degrades it somewhat.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greatshoe] [#10]
We all hope we never need to "use" our dash cam's but today was my day. Girl in brand new Audi does a left U-turn while I am approaching an intersection from the opposite direction (green light no other traffic in my direction of travel). I can't stop in time to avoid colliding into the rear right corner.  Damage is minor, grill is caved in and hood is dented.  Showed the video to the officer and he let me on my way.  He talked to the girl a little longer. I would assume failure to yield was involved.  Guess I'll have to wait for the accident report to get the scoop.  

Thinking about all the 'what if's".  I did hit her from behind, could she have lied and claimed innocence and blame the rear car? (she didn't it would seem)  Did I space and go through a red light? (no, thank God but the thought popped into my head immediately after)  Thanks to having the dashcam I can put my mind at ease. Really glad I run them in both of my cars.  Will try to get the video posted after i see the police report.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By greatshoe:

We all hope we never need to "use" our dash cam's but today was my day. Girl in brand new Audi does a left U-turn while I am approaching an intersection from the opposite direction (green light no other traffic in my direction of travel). I can't stop in time to avoid colliding into the rear right corner.  Damage is minor, grill is caved in and hood is dented.  Showed the video to the officer and he let me on my way.  He talked to the girl a little longer. I would assume failure to yield was involved.  Guess I'll have to wait for the accident report to get the scoop.  

Thinking about all the 'what if's".  I did hit her from behind, could she have lied and claimed innocence and blame the rear car? (she didn't it would seem)  Did I space and go through a red light? (no, thank God but the thought popped into my head immediately after)  Thanks to having the dashcam I can put my mind at ease. Really glad I run them in both of my cars.  Will try to get the video posted after i see the police report.
View Quote
Oooh. Tagged for the video (when appropriate, of course). Glad you're ok.

Which model DashCam are you using?

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody with a blackvue 650 encounter an issue with it resetting the time almost every time you start driving somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By eastonj:

View Quote

Thanks.

The dashcam is an A118-C variant sold by SpyTec on Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks.

View All Quotes

Thanks.

I have the same camera in my old truck. For an inexpensive camera, it does a pretty good job.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#15]
I have mixed feelings on this video. First, it's pretty amusing. Second, it doesn't do anything to improve the image of those of us with BMWs.

(Not my video. Got it from Jalopnik).

ETA: Fix spelling error.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is the look from my crash.  Other insurance called and accepted liability plus I got a check to cover my deductible.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is the look from my crash.  Other insurance called and accepted liability plus I got a check to cover my deductible.

https://youtu.be/Zl6JbKNFR4g
View Quote

That sucks. Did you have to show anybody the footage to help with the situation or did the Audi driver fess up to being a dumbass?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]

That sucks. Did you have to show anybody the footage to help with the situation or did the Audi driver fess up to being a dumbass?
View Quote

I let the responding officer see it, that seemed to be enough for him. Don't know if the other driver tried something.
I've been too lazy to pick up the police report to see if she was cited since the other person's insurance admitted liability 2 days later.  I will get around to it eventually.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#21]

The footage makes that one an open-and-shut case.
View All Quotes

I let the responding officer see it, that seemed to be enough for him. Don't know if the other driver tried something.
I've been too lazy to pick up the police report to see if she was cited since the other person's insurance admitted liability 2 days later.  I will get around to it eventually.

The footage makes that one an open-and-shut case.

+1  Glad it wasn't anything serious.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
From the accident report:

The driver of Vehicle #2 had a dash cam video of the accident. I watched the video and it was determined that the driver of Vehicle #2 did not have enough time to react to Vehicle #1 making a U_turn and not yielding to oncoming traffic at the intersection. The driver of Vehicle #1 was cited for Failure to Yield at intersection.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]
From the accident report:

The driver of Vehicle #2 had a dash cam video of the accident. I watched the video and it was determined that the driver of Vehicle #2 did not have enough time to react to Vehicle #1 making a U_turn and not yielding to oncoming traffic at the intersection. The driver of Vehicle #1 was cited for Failure to Yield at intersection.
View Quote

Excellent!  I have to start using my dash cam again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know how to get rid if the interference when the camera is hardwired? I don't want to use the cigarette lighter because, in my Edge, they are always on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#25]

https://youtu.be/Zl6JbKNFR4g
View Quote

Dang, that was like watching bumper cars. No apparent damage.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
A quick question.

The way I have my G1W camera hooked in right now is just to my cig lighter port.  This outlet stays on all the time.  I can't find easily how much the camera pulls, but would this be a problem?   Does anyone leave their camera on constantly?  Do you have problems with it draining the battery?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I'm loving this blackvue two channel. Going to get rid of the Lukas when I get around to it.
View Quote

Mine still updates the time then resets every time I drive my truck. I need to contact blackvue again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Reinitialize your SD card.  That fixed it for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I'm loving this blackvue two channel. Going to get rid of the Lukas when I get around to it.

Mine still updates the time then resets every time I drive my truck. I need to contact blackvue again.

Reinitialize your SD card.  That fixed it for me.

What do you mean reinitialize? I've reformatted both on the blackvue and on my laptop with no success.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By d16man:
I need a cam that comes with go pro compatible mounts at non go pro prices....my Tacoma came with a mount on the windshield.   Was looking at sjcam,  but are there other options?
View Quote

Have you considered removing the other mount and buying based on quality instead of mount?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Rear dashcam, fast car and fast reflexes avoids a crash:

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#38]

That would have sucked
View All Quotes
Rear dashcam, fast car and fast reflexes avoids a crash:

https://youtu.be/GRR31NaXoVw

That would have sucked

If a Prius has the buttsecks with a Tesla, what is the result?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Gents. Recently got rear ended and car totaled. I left enough room in front of me, but the thought got in my head God forbid I didn't it'd be hard to corroborate who hit who first if I was sent into them.

I just picked up the brand new A119 (capacitor is standard now) which records in 2K 60FPS. Very small and discreet which is why I picked it over the large mirror shaped cameras.

Heads up, due to the new model the 118-C (capacitor is what you want) is now on sale on Amazon.

I'm going to hard wire it- I'm assuming recording while car is off is not worth the chance of battery drain?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Ordered one and just got this email

Hello,
I am the owner of West Coast Jewelry.  It came to our attention that approximately 2 hours ago our Amazon account was hacked and over 50,000 listings were created on our account which we have never sold.  As soon as this issue was brought to our attention we alerted Amazon of this issue and put our account on hold while we work to resolve these issues.
During that time, nearly 1,000 orders were placed for these fraudulent listings, including the order you placed.  Clearly, as we are a jewelry company, we are not able to fulfill any of these orders and are in the process of cancelling them one by one.  
We received nearly a hundred phone calls from concerned customers, and we are working with them as we can do and hope you understand we are doing everything we can to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.  
You should not be charged anything for these orders, if you have questions related to credit card charges please feel free to reach out to Amazon Customer Support as they are the merchant card processor on these orders.  
I sincerely regret any inconvenience this issue has caused you, and we have been working with Amazon to try to uncover just how someone gained access to our account, changed our seller name, and listed these items.  I hope you are able to purchase the items you are looking for from another seller.
Happy Holidays,
Ari Mahller
Owner, West Coast Jewelry
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BigAJ:

View Quote

Sorry, worth a shot. Sometimes they come through.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigAJ:

Not out anything, worth a try
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#46]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't want to read 15 pages so I apologize in advance.

Someone point me to a camera that can record the front view of the vehicle and also inside the passenger compartment.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By edcurtis:
I don't want to read 15 pages so I apologize in advance.

Someone point me to a camera that can record the front view of the vehicle and also inside the passenger compartment.  

Thanks
View Quote

BlackVue 650
Blackvue DR650GW-2CH/DR650S-2CH IR Camera Lens Review
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone here have their cam running when the car is off? Had my A119 about a month wired like that, and I didn't drive for a few days and my car battery died. What's a safe no-start timeframe or way to avoid this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top