User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/18/2011 12:18:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan]
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried the Logitech Alert cameras?  I've had a pretty good experience with them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#2]
I did a search, turned up nothing on the Ubiquiti AirVision line ($99 each, wired, color, no night vision, no wireless)

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision

I have alot of great experience with Ubiquti wifi products.... they are just plain awesome deals for the price.
Does anyone have any experience with the AirVision cameras though?

I'm looking at buying 3 to 5 of something for home security.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Originally Posted By glgtwenty:

I did a search, turned up nothing on the Ubiquiti AirVision line ($99 each, wired, color, no night vision, no wireless)

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision

I have alot of great experience with Ubiquti wifi products.... they are just plain awesome deals for the price.

Does anyone have any experience with the AirVision cameras though?

I'm looking at buying 3 to 5 of something for home security.

Thanks

I have one... I'll post some pics later.
Thanks, looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Rather than reposting, go to the top of this page and scroll down a bit.  Myself and one other member have tried out the Ubiquiti cams.

Not bad for the price, but pretty lightly-built (eg. they're plastic, and pretty lightweight plastic at that... they will NOT take any sort of hit).

ok thanks.. sorry I had searched on AirVision very thoroughly which I thought was the name of the camera.

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:31:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yammerschooner] [#7]
TGM et al, I am putting together a pc based system and am still on the steep end of the learning curve.  I picked up a Ubiquiti Network AirCam to give me something to figure out what I am doing, and know you have tested one.  I also picked up a  Trendnet TPE-S44 PoE switch, which I have also seen in one of your pictures.  While starting to setup, my problem is that I can't get the PoE lights to work on the switch and am trying to figure out if the PoE included with the AirCam is needed alongside the switch for some unknown reason.  Is there some reason I need the AirCam's included PoE power source, or is it as I thought that the TPE-S44 should be powering it for me as long as I am hooked into ports 1 to 4?  My line into the switch is going to port 5 coming from the computer via this Intel EXPI9301CT NIC card.

The last time I opened a computer case was before SATA existed, and I realize this is a pretty subject ignorant question.  However, I figured the best way to learn was to ante up and start hacking at getting things to work.  Now the lights don't want to light like I think they should and I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for any insight.

edit: also, let me know if I should be posting these questions in the non-tacked threads to keep the tacked ones semi-clean.  I foresee more than a few questions cropping up in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 2:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yammerschooner] [#9]
Is ubiquity somewhat of an anomaly as far as passive PoE in security cameras, or do they all run on passive?  This thread leads me to believe that as I upgrade to multiple, more powerful cameras the TPE-S44 will be something that won't be filtered.  Is this right?  If there is a difference between various cameras, is there something I should be looking for in their paperwork?  I see nothing about 802.3af or at in their pamphlet, or am missing it.

Thanks again for all of your help.  If I hadn't started browsing all of your tacked threads, I'd never have given this a shot.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Would the pir motion detector on the acti camera work through a window? I.e. if I put it in a window to monitor the driveway outside that window, would the motion detection work or would I have to rely on the recording software motion detecting?

Also, do you have any experience with adaptors that run networking over your power lines? The place I'd like to put a camera (see this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/370817_security_camera_advice.html) has power outlet right by, but running an ethernet cable would be a pain in the ass.

It'd be nice if I could get a good wifi camera but options there seem limited if you want a high quality image (able to ID someones face) or else extremely expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a source for Refurbished iQInvision cameras here;

http://californiapc.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=237

They have a variety of 108op, 2 meg, 3 meg and a top dog 5 meg at pretty killer prices for what they are IMO.

Going to get one and see how its works.
Has to be outdoor rated.

4 camera system with 1080p and stand alone NVR is where I am headed at the moment.

This is the one I am pondering.

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=57_61
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
TGM - First off, thanks for these threads; very informative.

I would like to do a small 2-3 IP camera system with at least one being a license plate recognition camera, or having capability to capture license plates coming up my drive.  Are any of the standard outdoor IP cameras good for that, or should I be looking at a dedicated LPR?  Whats the typical range of these cameras for getting a good plate image at night, or what should  I be looking for to accomplish that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:56:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shaggy:
TGM - First off, thanks for these threads; very informative.

I would like to do a small 2-3 IP camera system with at least one being a license plate recognition camera, or having capability to capture license plates coming up my drive.  Are any of the standard outdoor IP cameras good for that, or should I be looking at a dedicated LPR?  Whats the typical range of these cameras for getting a good plate image at night, or what should  I be looking for to accomplish that?

I am still looking for a reasonable LPR camera.  The setups that actually read the plate and log in the plate numbers are mega-bucks (we're talking thousands of dollars), and not needed for residential use.  However, you can fudge by simply getting a megapixel camera and focusing it on a driveway area, or road where a vehicle has to transit through.  

You also need to think about your particular location/state (two-plate-states are easier to get plates than one-plate states, since you have twice the opportunity to catch the numbers).  

I had hopes for the Acti KCM-5311E, but the internal storage isn't nearly  fast enough to read a plate, unless you get really lucky.  It stores maybe 2FPS at the highest resolution... which is slow, and not enough of a frame-rate to catch a plate on a moving vehicle.

Yeah, thats really what I meant - I don't need something to automatically read the plate and log the numbers, just something to capture a good enough image of the plates so I could view the images and read the numbers myself at a later time.  And unfortunately, I'm in a one plate state.  

If the frame rate is a function of the resolution, might a lower resolution camera or setting do better for a task like capturing a plate - where you're not trying to discern subtle details like facial features so you can identify one person from another, but just recognize the letters/numbers on the plate? Is there a vehicle speed at which something like that 2FPS might be sufficient?  (my driveway is rather curvy so speed is necessarily a little slower there)  Also, I've seen a few LPR cameras advertised online, but very few seem to provide any manufacturer info (which makes me very suspicious of their quality).  Other than the software that would read the plate numbers off the image, is there any real difference between an LPR camera and other security/surveillance cameras?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you looked into Acti's replacement for this camera, the ACTi TCM-4511?  From what I can see the specs seem comparable and list price now seems to be about half.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
What do you think of the Dahua cams? I've found a 2mp vandal dome for $189 and several others that are priced very well.

I'm thinking of using a 8 or 16 channel standalone NVR and 5-8 PoE IP cams to monitor my house and try to catch the neighborhood teens in their attempts at vandalism.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I lied. 2mp cam is $229. Here's a link to a whole selection of cams from the company I'm thinking of buying from:

IP security cams

I think they're all rebranded Dahua cams that seem to be well-liked on the CCTV forums. This particular reseller has a reputation for excellent customer service and will even log on to your network remotely and configure everything for you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow that's a good price. Priced right for someone to get a couple to experiment with to decide their needs. Looked for any software they offer, didn't find it or any documentation.  

Originally Posted By 1MAC:
I lied. 2mp cam is $229. Here's a link to a whole selection of cams from the company I'm thinking of buying from:

IP security cams

I think they're all rebranded Dahua cams that seem to be well-liked on the CCTV forums. This particular reseller has a reputation for excellent customer service and will even log on to your network remotely and configure everything for you.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone here played around with one of the Foscam cameras? http://foscam.us/

Low on the price range and seem to have some nice features. Was thinking about getting one to play around with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#26]
i got 2 of these i have yet to instlal them but have them set up in a room on POE and blue Iris

Agasio A612-POE Outdoor IP Camera with Power Over Ethernet

They are very good in the day and okay at night but better then nothing
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone ever tried these LTS cameras? 3MP with night vision and weatherproof for $279 seems like a really good deal. Can't find any reviews on them though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By perry73779:

Anyone here played around with one of the Foscam cameras? http://foscam.us/

Low on the price range and seem to have some nice features. Was thinking about getting one to play around with.
View Quote

I have 2 FI8910W ptz indoor cameras which work well. I'm impressed with their IR capability and ease of use.

I have 4 FI9802W H.264 Megapixel Outdoor Wireless IP Cameras ordered, but they haven't come in yet. Maybe tomorrow.

My home server is running Blue Iris 3 which has a webserver built in. I also am running their iPhone app and it lets me not only see my cameras from anywhere in the world, but allows PTZ control as well as other function control. It will also push any alerts I configure and send video to whatever FTP site I use.

The only problem I found was: when setting up the webserver for WAN access, it won't recognize a 2 digit port number. I gave it a 4 digit port number and it works like a charm.

All in all...I very happy with Foscam's stuff, although I haven't had any issues to mandate that I deal with their support crew. I have read reviews that said they are pretty good about honoring their warranty.

I'll update you on how the outdoor cameras work in the next few days.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 2 foscam indoor cameras, I am also a idiotwhen it come to this stuff so their tech support walked me through it. Great tech support a little hard to understand the lady sometimes but she was supper helpful and walked me through the setup and setup of my Iphone and ipad apps. I was hoping for a little better picture though. I set up a email account just for it and it sends all motion decteted pics and videos there. If I have have a break in I will have the perps pics and video.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I recently purchased two of these.

http://nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hk-series-outdoor-hd-3mp-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html
(you have to create an account to see the price but they are $167 each)

You can see a review with pics and video of these cameras at http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791

Apparently there are Chinese versions of these cameras that show the date or something in Chinese but the ones at Nelly's are the English version. So far I am very impressed with these cameras. They are small but very solidly built and great video.

Also, Costco sells a pair of these labled as Swann cams that are limited to 2mp by the firmware for $350.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 12:49:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#32]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#33]
anyone have any thoughts on the sub $100 ip megapixel  cameras from china ? there are several on ebay not sure if I can post a link to a live auction

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm looking for an IP POE PTZ outdoor camera that is night capable. Doesn't necessarily need to have IR on it I'm not against adding illumination separately. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Outdoor-rated IP POE PTZ?  You're looking at spending some very serious coin.  Is there a particular reason you want PTZ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dogface_313:
I'm looking for an IP POE PTZ outdoor camera that is night capable. Doesn't necessarily need to have IR on it I'm not against adding illumination separately. Any suggestions?

Outdoor-rated IP POE PTZ?  You're looking at spending some very serious coin.  Is there a particular reason you want PTZ?

I guess to be able to cover a larger area.  I'm starting to think just use two bullets to cover the same area.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#39]
So I figured I'd add a quick piece on a low cost IP camera I just added to my mix.

It's a Dahua IPC-HFW4300S IPC-HFW4300S.  This is a day/night 3MP IP cam that got some decent reviews.  Not being a guy to be too wordy I'm just going to get to brass tacks.

Pros:
- Price point:  About $170.
- Video quality:  As you can see the sensor takes some pretty decent video at both day and night.  During the day at full resolution I can make out the license plate on the Charger in the back.
- Frame rate:  30fps at full resolution
- Integrates with the apps and NVRs that I have on my network once I fought it for a while and got the right settings.
- POE and a 12V power pigtail

Cons:
- Support information on the vendor site is almost non-existent.
- Only basic analytics on the camera
- Not vandal proof and a little plasticy.

Overall I'm pretty happy and plan on ordering a few more to replace my old 480 line analog cameras.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Great video performance for the price.  Now that the dahua and hikvision stuff is out there, it might be good to rewrite this section.

I'll have to add it to my to-do list
View Quote

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance, it kicks the crap out of the video quality of my Acti ACM-3701.  The size is pretty decent as well, just over three inches in length for the bullet body.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#43]

You using IP Cam Viewer to get those screenshots?  What setting did you use in the software to make it work?  I haven't been able to get my Hikvision dome to work with the software yet... that's been my primary  beef.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Great video performance for the price.  Now that the dahua and hikvision stuff is out there, it might be good to rewrite this section.

I'll have to add it to my to-do list

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance, it kicks the crap out of the video quality of my Acti ACM-3701.  The size is pretty decent as well, just over three inches in length for the bullet body.

You using IP Cam Viewer to get those screenshots?  What setting did you use in the software to make it work?  I haven't been able to get my Hikvision dome to work with the software yet... that's been my primary  beef.

Indeed.  I had to use the Dahua Camera RTSP profile to get it to work.  I fought for several days to get the thing to work with Acti's NVR 3 as an ONVIF device to no avail and finally found its generic RTSP profile.

IP Cam has a couple of generic modes at the very top as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:32:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shocktrp] [#44]
I just started doing Hikvision - prices are great compared to the stuff we were selling, POE is built right into the NVR (the cameras also have a 12VDC input), & the NVR automatically recognizes the cameras & sets the IP's (if you use another brand of cameras you'll have to do this manually) so all you have to do is set the port forwarding up.

Quick comparison;

460TVL analog;

3MP Hikvision;

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top