BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#1]
Gray Man:

First thank you for the time you put into this and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.  I'm soon moving to the country and will have nobody near me, for over a mile, so I should have have wifi issues with neighbors.

a quick question tho:  "You stated   Under "Live View Config" is an important setting. You have the option of using something other than Active-X controls (YESSSS!!!!) to push images out to browsers. This is a nice option, and it's good of Axis to include it."       what do you recommend?  arre there big differences?  I can understand most everything else, but I'm stuck on this point.    

I look forward to continuing posts.also I'm interested in the lasst cam posted. that works with a Droid.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Can they be rigged to record the video somewhere instead of alerting by text or email?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By rarms:
Can they be rigged to record the video somewhere instead of alerting by text or email?

Yes... they can record to a network dvr, An FTP server, or other network-accessible resource.

What about a removable USB thumb drive?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By iNeverMiss25:
Originally Posted By rarms:

Yes... they can record to a network dvr, An FTP server, or other network-accessible resource.

What about a removable USB thumb drive?

I've never seen a camera that would allow you to plug in a thumb drive.

I phrased that wrong sorry. I have an iMac and have considered a wifi camera like you have graciously shown here. Instead of trying to figure out how to save it to the hard drive, could I direct the video to be saved to a USB thumb drive that i have plugged into my iMac? I am moving into a college apartment and would like to hook up a camera to record anyone coming in when i am not there, would set it up as motion detected. What is the best way to set up a place to record the video using just my iMac?

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]

We're going to try to show some of the weaknesses of wireless cameras too.

Using some freely-available tools:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/wirelesstools.jpg

To be continued.

Just wanted to say thanks for all you do and also that I was really looking forward to your writeup on breaking a wifi network as hinted with this post.

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
inSSIDer is another tool that may be available for iTunes that can determine available channels, etc.  I use it on my droid device successfully.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Grayman, any thoughts on using wifi now with more and more knowledge of the nsa and their friends making themselves more and more at home in our house and on our networks?

Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:08:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Use a strong pass-phrase, and don't use a crypto system that has inherent flaws (WEP).

WEP was the standard years ago... until some of the statistical attacks against it rendered it breakable in a matter of minutes.  I use WPA with a long/elaborate/nonsense passphrase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Hey Grayman, any thoughts on using wifi now with more and more knowledge of the nsa and their friends making themselves more and more at home in our house and on our networks?

Thanks

TXL

Use a strong pass-phrase, and don't use a crypto system that has inherent flaws (WEP).

WEP was the standard years ago... until some of the statistical attacks against it rendered it breakable in a matter of minutes.  I use WPA with a long/elaborate/nonsense passphrase.

Also get a wifi analyzer and make sure your wifi signal isn't blowing past your property boundaries.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#15]
TGM, thanks for these great security threads.

I'd like to set up an indoor camera to monitor the closet containing my guns. Even if a burglar managed to break the physical security layers and take the guns, I'd like to get pics/video and notifications to make it easier for the police to capture the perp.

Preferences (based on my limited understanding of the technology and security best practices):
1. Wireless. I'd rather not run ethernet cable all the way to this particular closet. Unless there are routers or access points these days that connect wirelessly to your main router?

2. Power can be wired - and should be wired as I'd prefer not to deal with batteries - though I suppose that would leave me vulnerable to the thief who is clever enough to switch off all the circuit breakers.

3. Night vision not necessary, but may be a nice touch. I figure the perp is going to turn on the lights to get to work once inside the closet.

4. Sends email alerts so I'll know that motion has been detected and can call the police.

5. Once activated, uploads pics/videos to an online repository such as Dropbox. Since these cameras tend not to be discreet, I figure a burglar will spot it fairly soon after entering the closet, and will probably destroy the camera and maybe even take my computer on the assumption that video may have been sent to my computer's hard disk. As part of this feature, it would be necessary that if the camera were destroyed during transmission of video, that already uploaded video not be wiped out by transmission termination caused by the perp smashing or disconnecting the camera.

If there's a better approach to this, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd get one of these.  Should do everything you need.  
View Quote
How has your experience with Axis cameras been?

I'll have to go through the manuals for each, but it seems the main differences between the M1034-W and M1011-W are that the former has better video (1280x800 vs 640x480), has audio (the M1011-W has no audio) and has digital pan/tilt/zoom. None of these are dealbreakers for my use (security cam in a closet) and these extra features are probably not worth the extra $80.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]

And Axis is quality stuff.... they're one of the largest manufacturers of CCTV cameras, and have been in this game for a long time.
View Quote
+1  I have a 1034 with the PIR and it's pretty effective.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ebr_citizen] [#20]
And unless I misread it, the higher-res version lacks the PIR sensor/light... and I'm a huge fan of actual sensors (like the PIR) for alerts, rather than video motion detection.  The latter can drive you nuts with false alerts, but if we're talking about a closet, it might work OK.

And Axis is quality stuff.... they're one of the largest manufacturers of CCTV cameras, and have been in this game for a long time.
View Quote
Yeah, I forgot to mention the PIR sensor, but as you note, for closet use, I don't think the video motion detection will give me false alerts.

How does the triggered video/pic uploading work? I.e., if the video motion detector (or PIR) is triggered, does it immediately upload buffered video and still images? Where does it upload to? Does it continue to upload after the initial alert? Can I have it upload to free online storage like Dropbox or Google Drive? Having it sent to my computer wouldn't be that useful because it's in the same residence as the camera, so the burglar could just take/destroy the computer and camera.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:35:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ebr_citizen] [#22]

Most cameras give you the option of emailing, uploading pictures to an FTP server, or even saving them to a network share (like a Network Storage device in your gun safe ).  They upload pretty much immediately.

Unless he took out your internet access before breaking into the house, you'd have pictures of him.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ebr_citizen:
Yeah, I forgot to mention the PIR sensor, but as you note, for closet use, I don't think the video motion detection will give me false alerts.

How does the triggered video/pic uploading work? I.e., if the video motion detector (or PIR) is triggered, does it immediately upload buffered video and still images? Where does it upload to? Does it continue to upload after the initial alert? Can I have it upload to free online storage like Dropbox or Google Drive? Having it sent to my computer wouldn't be that useful because it's in the same residence as the camera, so the burglar could just take/destroy the computer and camera.

Most cameras give you the option of emailing, uploading pictures to an FTP server, or even saving them to a network share (like a Network Storage device in your gun safe ).  They upload pretty much immediately.

Unless he took out your internet access before breaking into the house, you'd have pictures of him.
Sounds perfect. And the secured (or perhaps well hidden) network storage device is a great idea.

I've been reading some reviews and it seems the wireless connection can sometimes be tricky. As you noted in other posts, you have to look at the wifi usage near the intended location. I'm guessing these units don't come with great antennas. Does anyone make a switch or access point (POE or non-powered) that itself connects to your main router wirelessly? That way you don't have to run ethernet cable all the way to the closet, but still have a better antenna than what comes with the cameras. Or can the antenna on these cameras be upgraded?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ebr_citizen] [#24]

Antennas on the camera itself are not upgradeable... they're a very tightly integrated unit.

You could put a wireless repeater closer to your closet, if that's an issue.  Several companies make them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ebr_citizen:
Sounds perfect. And the secured (or perhaps well hidden) network storage device is a great idea.

I've been reading some reviews and it seems the wireless connection can sometimes be tricky. As you noted in other posts, you have to look at the wifi usage near the intended location. I'm guessing these units don't come with great antennas. Does anyone make a switch or access point (POE or non-powered) that itself connects to your main router wirelessly? That way you don't have to run ethernet cable all the way to the closet, but still have a better antenna than what comes with the cameras. Or can the antenna on these cameras be upgraded?

Antennas on the camera itself are not upgradeable... they're a very tightly integrated unit.

You could put a wireless repeater closer to your closet, if that's an issue.  Several companies make them.
Thanks for the info on the antennas. I know the Foscam antennas can be upgraded. Too bad the Axis antennas cannot.

The wireless repeater isn't a bad idea - it's running more ethernet cable than I'd like, but better than running it all the way into the closet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone try this using cheap chinese-made cams from DX.com?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 8:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SPQM] [#27]
What's a good stand alone WiFi camera that can upload to a cloud server, like Dropbox?

Basically, I don't need a full fledged system as I won't be in this location past the next 12~ months -- I just need something that sits indoors and monitors a chokepoint that everyone has to pass through to go anywhere important in my accommodations.

Some of the highest rated stuff on Amazon (my go to for stuff like this) is Foscam and Dropcam; are they any goodish for a limited application of watching a chokepoint?

EDIT: Ha; never mind saw that someone asked this same question back in September and you answered it with a suggestion for the AXIS M1034-W.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Interesting graph showing my Foscam wifi useage over time to my Ubiquiti UAP. The larger bump isn't activity, it's just when it switches to color. Camera is indoors watching a crib. About 1.7GB/hour during the daytime, and 275MB during night.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I've read the previous posts and I'm thinking of ordering a few Axis M-1034W for my home. I will use them for monitoring my home when I am away.  Thank you TGM for taking the time to create this thread!!! You are a godsend to all of us.

I have a couple of questions and comments before I move forward on this.  

1.  I'm considering adding a NAS inside my gun safe. I see where the camera can email audio, still pictures and video but I am still thinking about having it store data on an NAS....in case the network is cut or otherwise down.  Anyone have any recommendations for a NAS that will work with the Axis M-1034W? I will have only 2 or 3 cameras that send data to it.

2. Even though I have 802.11ac wireless network in my home, I think it would be better if I ran CAT5 to each camera and the NAS, as well as to my cable modem / router. Anyone think I should do something different?

3. I will configure the camera to send emails if it detects tampering, audio, or motion using the PIR. The messages will contain video from before the event to after the event. If I have installed the NAS the camera will also send the same data to the NAS.

4. I haven't yet figured out how I can monitor the cameras with my iPhone or iPad. Anyone have any insight into this?

5. Since I don't want the cameras sending pictures of me chasing the little woman around the house, I figure I will have to activate the cameras and configure the alarms only when I plan to be gone for an extended period of time. Anyone have any better ideas how to handle this?

Have I missed anything?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#31]
TGM,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm still confused about how the CamView software obtains a 'feed' from my cameras. Are the cameras publicly visible? I hope not.  But heck, I think it will become clearer when I buy a camera to test and get the software.

With regard to alerting, have you found that video alerting is just a PITA?

I would think it would generate dozens or hundreds of messages a day when the house is normally occupied. That's why I think it would need to be turned on only when I leave for long periods of time.

I have an intrusion detection system but it is not fully reliable. I sometimes get false alarms...and they most frequently happen when I am gone on a long vacation. Go figure. After screwing with it for a year I still haven't figured out what its problem is. I think I screwed up installing a wireless system. As a result of these false alarms I want to add a camera system so I can validate the alarm.

He is my plan...

When I am home or away for only short trips, let the video surveillance spool to the NAS. Rely on the intrusion system handle intrusion detection. If I get an alarm, head home to deal with it or remotely monitor the cameras using my iPhone to validate the detection alarm.

When I am gone for long periods of time, turn on camera alerting. This will help me more quickly ascertain whether a real intrusion has been detected.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks OP for the post. I am not very tech savvy and would like your thoughts on what complete camera system to buy for my home. 3 cameras should be plenty. I want a high quality wireless system that records to a dvr type device. I downloaded the app you suggested and these are the results. Do you have an opinion on what system I should buy?
Thanks,
Jim

Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I recently got the ring doorbell video pro. Assuming you already have wireless, this is about as simple as it gets for installation. 60 days of cloud storage for one camera is $3 a month.
It's motion activated. You can set the motion zone and sensitivity. You can also talk to the person at the door, even from your phone if you're at work.
Amazing device for the price.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top