Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Do you have line-of-sight to the end of your driveway?  If you do, you could use wireless.

Is there power down there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By donnieR32:
Thy Gray Man:
I have a question to add to my first questions. I have a relatively long driveway (320 ft or about 250 as the crow flies). If I wanted to attach a camera to the brick pillars near the bottom of the driveway so that I could monitor any activity coming into my house or by (my neighbor's kid just smashed my mailbox with a liquor bottle ).

I need to know what my best option is for a camera that far from my house. Could I use wireless? Considering the low light levels I assume having the camera attached to the pillar would provide enough ambient lighting for NV or inferred (please advice if my terminology or theory is incorrect) to see anything in the area. Ideally, I'd like a set up that allows me to add cameras over time, I can review the footage, and connect a live feed to one TV in my house. Please, ask me any additional questions you have. Thanks in advance.

Do you have line-of-sight to the end of your driveway?  If you do, you could use wireless.

Is there power down there?

I do have line of sight. The area I'd like to attach it to is a brick light post pillar. There is power there (lights turn on from the house) although I don't know how to "tap into" it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I would attach a 12VDC power supply to the line voltage down there.  You'd need to leave the light switch at the house on, but you could easily do that, and just put the bulbs in photocell sockets so they turn off during the day.  

Then run everything off 12VDC, just like I did for my several remote camera setups:

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Remote%20Camera/wiredup28.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Remote%20Camera/wiredup28.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Ubiquiti%20box/8211bridge.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquiti%20box/8211bridge.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Ubiquiti%20box/poweredup.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquiti%20box/poweredup.jpg</a>

Note the pattern?  Everything runs off 12VDC.  The only line-voltage in those boxes goes into those oblong power bricks, through the brown and blue wires.  Everything else (the Ubiquiti bridges, and the PoE convertor) runs on the 12VDC that comes out the other end (the red and black wires).  Alternatively, you could use an IP camera (like the Hikvision stuff) that not only takes PoE, but ALSO takes 12VDC... so then you could omit the PoE convertor entirely (and save about $50).  It would just be the camera, the power brick, and the Ubiquiti bridge).  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

I do have line of sight. The area I'd like to attach it to is a brick light post pillar. There is power there (lights turn on from the house) although I don't know how to "tap into" it.

I would attach a 12VDC power supply to the line voltage down there.  You'd need to leave the light switch at the house on, but you could easily do that, and just put the bulbs in photocell sockets so they turn off during the day.  

Then run everything off 12VDC, just like I did for my several remote camera setups:

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Remote%20Camera/wiredup28.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Remote%20Camera/wiredup28.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Ubiquiti%20box/8211bridge.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquiti%20box/8211bridge.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/Ubiquiti%20box/poweredup.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquiti%20box/poweredup.jpg</a>

Note the pattern?  Everything runs off 12VDC.  The only line-voltage in those boxes goes into those oblong power bricks, through the brown and blue wires.  Everything else (the Ubiquiti bridges, and the PoE convertor) runs on the 12VDC that comes out the other end (the red and black wires).  Alternatively, you could use an IP camera (like the Hikvision stuff) that not only takes PoE, but ALSO takes 12VDC... so then you could omit the PoE convertor entirely (and save about $50).  It would just be the camera, the power brick, and the Ubiquiti bridge).  

Great information. What if I wanted to leave it running during the day? A "problem" that I have is if I'm in my basement someone could easily be at my front door or garage and I'd have no idea. Part of that cameras job is to give me a heads up someone is at the bottom of my driveway about to enter my property.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]

I'll have to get you a photo of said pillar. I'm guessing the power comes up through it and to the light on top. I'm not too familiar with it. As for data storage and being able to view on one TV what do you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey GrayMan

In the pics above....which wires are you using for 12 volt power and how did you connect them at the injector.

Got my nanostation and I'm trying to connect a camera long distance.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks
I'll just use a jumper and do the same.  

My morning is now planned.

Ag '81
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe a silly question or topic.  It seems like a lot of the newer dash cams provide excellent video and audio.  Has anyone tried using these types of cams for interior home recording?  Seems like it would be simple to rig up a motion detector that supplies power to the cams so they can start recording on motion, use a transformer. I think some of the cameras will stream to a USB device (thought I read that), so you could stream to an external HD somewhere so a thief couldn't just snatch out the SD card.

Just curious, as I tried a couple IP megapixel cameras recently (Panasonic and Acti) and was underwhelmed by the picture quality and the software.  Haven't paid much attention to file sizes coming out of these dash cams, but with the right sensors and install, it shouldn't be an issue.  The dash cams seem to be musch cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have anything bad or good to say about Hikvision 3mp cams?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I may give you a shout when i get all the parts and start putting this all together. I probably will bench test it first. Waiting on my poe switch and need some cams and its time to try it out. Btw i found the wd purple 4tb hdd for around 160 bucks at newegg.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Grayman i was stumbling around on the internet trying to educate myself on security cam stuff. Thanks for all of your input already. i had a burgulary as well as some others in the area. so i bought a lorex model l23wd series system. daytime resolution is not great but acceptable, nightime s***s. the wireless cameras are lw2281 series, wired cameras are model sg7560. specs can be found on lorex website, both are 480 lines. dvr is a 23 inch high resolution (1920x1080) widscreen lcd monitor. i would like to upgrade, but don't really know what would be best for the system i have. i do know the cameras i have aren't good enough.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife for me a set up for Christmas.

Lorex. 4 wireless cameras LW2110
large monitor.   DVR

She knows I'm clueless so,I thnk she bought something easy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Any updates to this thread with newer/better/cheaper cameras?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#18]

Yes... a lot of good to say.  

Check out the big CCTV thread, starting on page 94

I think they're one of the best values for the money in the current market.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zeb0744:
Does anyone have anything bad or good to say about Hikvision 3mp cams?

Yes... a lot of good to say.  

Check out the big CCTV thread, starting on page 94

I think they're one of the best values for the money in the current market.

I just installed the first of three Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I's running back to a Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR.  FWIW these Hikvision 3mp outdoor domes do NOT have the ability to use a SD card. I was looking at a number of differing models and selected these thinking they had the same ability as some of the other 3mp domes.  Not a huge deal, but my fault for confusing models.  

Using an all Hikvision setup made the system truly plug and play and the pictures are superb.  I'm still configuring the NVR for e-mail alerts, but motion works well and the day/night capability is great.  I'm using them for outside doors so I have the 2.8mm lens versions.  I need a couple more for longer range views so I'll decide on a 4 or 6mm lens.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Hi OP, reading the original pay from 2011 and finding it very informative.
Have there been changes to CCT since that was posted?
I understand pixels and resolution is king but have there been any leaps or bounds in the field since?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi everybody im also CCTV professional and im available to answer any questions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Altjoker:
Hi everybody im also CCTV professional and im available to answer any questions.
View Quote

I might be tapping your and TGM's advice here in the near future!

I just bought another car wash, and this one currently has EyeMax software.  I'll update tomorrow on what they were running for cameras, but I need help learning the system and getting it running.  System was installed in 2008ish, and the desktop is running XP.  Not sure if it even pays to mess with this system, or just go ahead and build a new one.

Thanks for all the information guys!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey guys, been reading all the threads I can about cameras and have started to look into a system for my house.

Here is a bad overview of the house with multiple trees blocking some of it:

" />

The house front has several angles on it leading to needing more cameras to not have any dead spaces where there is a window or two:

" />

So looking at it you can see I have to cover multiple doors to the house, multiple gates to the back yard (including a gate in the back fence from a servitude I forgot to draw in), and have several angles leading to loss of sight lines. The following is the plan I quickly came up with the cameras I am certain I need in black and the two I will have to most likely need in pink:

" />

1:Needed to cover driveway and anyone walking up from street
2:Needed to cover front door and walk from driveway
3:Needed to cover window in dip and front lawn in case someone walks from right through flower bed
4:Needed to cover side gate to back yard
5:Needed to cover both sheds and the servitude gate in back fence ( will have to be a 180 degree panoramic to do this)
6:Needed to cover gate from carport, back door, and door to storage room by gate (not drawn in overhead)
7:Needed to cover cars under carport and side door into house (I think to get side door the camera will be set too far back to get driveway very well so the need for camera 1)
8:Needed to cover double side gate

The cameras will be 3MP Hikvision dome cams as those appear to be the best bang for the buck. Hooked into a Hikvision NPR w/ 3 or 4 TB drive. I wish I could do it with less cameras but they seem to all be needed.

Does this look ok or am I going over board? All the gates but the one from carport have locks on them as do the sheds. I can get help with the installation so I dont think that would be a problem. Also if I go with 8 3mp cameras, what kinda video retention am I looking at with a 3 TB or 4 TB hard drive. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bayoushooter:

The cameras will be 3MP Hikvision dome cams as those appear to be the best bang for the buck. Hooked into a Hikvision NPR w/ 3 or 4 TB drive. I wish I could do it with less cameras but they seem to all be needed.

Does this look ok or am I going over board? All the gates but the one from carport have locks on them as do the sheds. I can get help with the installation so I dont think that would be a problem. Also if I go with 8 3mp cameras, what kinda video retention am I looking at with a 3 TB or 4 TB hard drive. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Perhaps add external IR illuminators, don't use the built in IRs.
If you want to search motion events consider installing external PIRs, video motion detection will false alot.
TheGrayMan goes into great detail on this in one of the camera threads.
In the US I believe you have to buy the varifocal dome to get external alarm inputs.
I'm guessing 8 cameras will record for approx 24 days on a 4gig drive with average frame rate and quality.
There is a calculator on Hiks website.

AL
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:46:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#31]
Can anyone comment on this camera system?  It's a 3mp IP 16 channel with 8 cameras and 3TB drive for $1,100

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Grey Man,

I greatly appreciate your dedication to this site over the years. After reading these threads I decided to jump in and build
my own system. After reading up on Hikvision, I ordered a 2042-WD 4mp IP Bullet (4mm) camera. This is my "bench test"
setup before I begin installing multiple cameras. I'm still trying to determine which cameras to purchase for specific areas
I want to cover.

I've noted that there is a slight "red" light visible around the lens when the IR feature is activated at night. I've been able
to turn off the IR so that the camera position will not be given away at night but this seems to defeat the purpose of having
cameras with IR built into them. I've read where depending on the wave length some IR may be visible. Is this a common
problem with cameras with built in IR? Or, do I possibly have a defective camera?

Any input is greatly appreciated,
DB
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Your camera is working fine.

The IR is dimly visible, but that's only with the 860-880nm infrared.  This *is* such a thing as completely covert infrared, but it's a bit deeper into the IR spectum (940nm usually), and MUCH more expensive.  

The performance of those illuminators/camera combos is also worse, because many CCTV imagers are increasingly insensitive to IR the deeper you go into the IR spectrum.  It's much more economical to use conventional imagers, and "near-IR" illuminators/LEDs (eg. 860-880nm)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BearPiper:
Grey Man,

I greatly appreciate your dedication to this site over the years. After reading these threads I decided to jump in and build
my own system. After reading up on Hikvision, I ordered a 2042-WD 4mp IP Bullet (4mm) camera. This is my "bench test"
setup before I begin installing multiple cameras. I'm still trying to determine which cameras to purchase for specific areas
I want to cover.

I've noted that there is a slight "red" light visible around the lens when the IR feature is activated at night. I've been able
to turn off the IR so that the camera position will not be given away at night but this seems to defeat the purpose of having
cameras with IR built into them. I've read where depending on the wave length some IR may be visible. Is this a common
problem with cameras with built in IR? Or, do I possibly have a defective camera?

Any input is greatly appreciated,
DB

Your camera is working fine.

The IR is dimly visible, but that's only with the 860-880nm infrared.  This *is* such a thing as completely covert infrared, but it's a bit deeper into the IR spectum (940nm usually), and MUCH more expensive.  

The performance of those illuminators/camera combos is also worse, because many CCTV imagers are increasingly insensitive to IR the deeper you go into the IR spectrum.  It's much more economical to use conventional imagers, and "near-IR" illuminators/LEDs (eg. 860-880nm)

OK, thank you for clarifying this. Now it's time to get more HIK's and begin stringing Cat6! Let the fun begin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting ready to install my setup:

9 3MP HIKvision IP domes
1 box of 1K ft Commscope CAT6
1 Ubiquiti Unifi 24 port POE switch (US24250W)
2 WD 4TB Purple NV drives

The two mini domes will be inside the house.  One facing the front door and one facing the entry door to the room my safe is in.  The rest will be outside, mounted in the eaves of the house.  I still need to put together a PC that will be able to handle this many cameras running at 1080P though.  Any ideas on the minimum amount of RAM and processor needed?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#37]

My current NVR is a Core2Quad, running Luxriot in Win10 Home, running at 3ghz, with 4Gb of Ram, and a whole caddy of 3TB drives.  

It usually runs 50-60% CPU usage, or even a bit more, and that's recording 15 cameras or so.

Network traffic on that box runs about 60-70 Mbps.
View Quote
what POE switch do you use?

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My current NVR is a Core2Quad, running Luxriot in Win10 Home, running at 3ghz, with 4Gb of Ram, and a whole caddy of 3TB drives.  

It usually runs 50-60% CPU usage, or even a bit more, and that's recording 15 cameras or so.

Network traffic on that box runs about 60-70 Mbps.
View Quote

How much total drive space would you estimate to have?  I'm wondering if I need to buy a few more 4TB purples, so that I can have redundancy as well as more than just 4TB of space.  I realize that resolution and FPS will dictate this, but I would like to stay with 1080 @ 30FPS if possible.  Also, I am not sure how much this affects what hardware I will need, but I am planning on going with Blue Iris at first, due to it's low cost, but might end up with something else later down the road.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Good to know.  I guess I will just have to take a look at the footage when I get it all together to see what 10 FPS really looks like.  The switch is supposed to be good for a "Total non-blocking throughput of up to 26 Gbps", according to Ubiquity, so I'm thinking it can handle some traffic.  
I got some ideas on hardware for the NVR:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD AM3+ Motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) AM3+ Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256GB SATA III SSD for the OS
CORSAIR AX series AX760 760W Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 932 case

I have this in my wishlist on Newegg and am thinking about pulling the trigger...
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By ss2nv:

Good to know.  I guess I will just have to take a look at the footage when I get it all together to see what 10 FPS really looks like.  The switch is supposed to be good for a "Total non-blocking throughput of up to 26 Gbps", according to Ubiquity, so I'm thinking it can handle some traffic.  

I have this in my wishlist on Newegg and am thinking about pulling the trigger...
View Quote
ddr3 is old and expensive, get a newer board with ddr4

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

View All Quotes

For a NVR, the memory is not going to matter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ss2nv] [#44]

View All Quotes

To my knowledge, there isn't an AMD MB that currently supports DDR4 RAM.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By beavo451:
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#46]
https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Bill-Murray-Golf.jpg

View All Quotes

While I understand that memory in fact IS important in an NVR, that response wasn't very helpful to anyone.  What, is this GD?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#47]

While I understand that memory in fact IS important in an NVR, that response wasn't very helpful to anyone.  What, is this GD?
View All Quotes

I'm not sure what he is getting at either.

Memory is important in the way that it is required in a computer. But, there is not going to be a performance difference with current, widely available RAM options. Therefore buy whatever memory is the cheapest. We are in a transitional time of going from DDR3 to DDR4 as "mainstream".
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]
my point is.....DDR 4 has been cheaper than 3 recently and is twice as fast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]
my point is.....DDR 4 has been cheaper than 3 recently and is twice as fast.
View Quote

With an Intel Proc and MB, I assume.  We are talking about AMD.  Show me an AMD MB with DDR4 support.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top