BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By learfxr:
Can you give me some tips on the port forwarding?  I tried a few things and got nowhere with it.  

Thanks!
View Quote
Unless your ISP gives you a Static IP address you'll also need to use one of services that allows you to resolve a dynamic IP address.

If you're in DFW shoot me an IM and I can help you out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm lost.

I read through the static IP address setup and did not know my DNS server numbers.  The article says to call the internet provider and get the DNS numbers.  I just spoke with a lady there and got nothing.  She said with the type of service I'm on they can't offer a static IP address.  I told her I just need the DNS numbers from them and it went nowhere.  I'm not sure if she just doesn't understand my request, or if I'm just screwed.  We are on a wireless, line of sight internet.  We have an antenna on the roof that looks to a tower a few miles away.  I don't know why this would matter.  Should we not still have the DNS numbers available?  

I followed the instructions for setting up a static IP in my PC and should have everything but these DNS numbers cause my router doesn't list them in the Apple Airport Extreme utility.  

Is this where having setup a DDNS comes into play??  I signed up with Dynu last night and set up the DDNS info and then also had to set up their updater software since I'm using the Apple Airport Extreme.  

I'm getting pretty confused and just getting worse.  I follow the info in these online setup tutorials, but they don't always make sense with me having the Apple router.  It has been the longest running router I've ever had, but now I see it as a hang up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll try those google numbers and tell my PC to set up a static IP and see where I get.  Port forwarding with my Apple router has been fun too.  Hopefully I have that part setup ok already.  

Maybe I can get my Milestone iPhone app to see the Milestone server on my PC.  Then I can work on alerts and other settings in Milestone.  

I'll mess with it in a bit and see if things start to come together

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I use blueiris myself for home cameras.  Works well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just figured out when the ISP came out and replaced the equipment on the house to upgrade to better stuff, the new box in the house is also a router now.  It used to just be a signal box that I then connected to my Airport.  So now my airport is connected to their router and then the signal from the antenna.  This just keeps getting more confusing.  

So if I'm not mistaken, I can try to port forward all day long in the Airport but the router they provided has to also get port forwarded.  I don't have any idea how to get into the setup for the router they provided.  I plugged the PC direct to their router and tried typing in some commands to see if the admin login would come up, no joy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

The only potential complication I can anticipate is that you're on a WISP (wireless Internet Service Provider).

If they're firewalled somewhere upstream, you'll also need to change THOSE firewall settings to get internet traffic through to your IP address (and hopefully you have a Static IP from your WISP).
View Quote
They told me today that they can not offer a static IP with this service.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking the double router setup might be what's killing progress.  I tried plugging straight into that router and using the 192.168 web address to log into it and look at settings, but all I get are warning pages about security certificates so I stopped.

I went into the PC today and set my IPv4 properties to set the static IP address per some stuff I read online.  

I've spent hour after hour in there changing numbers and reading online about ports and settings.  I need to crack into this router they provided and see if I can figure it out.  The back of the router says to use the 192.168 website and gives the admin password.  I just can't seem to get there when the PC is plugged directly to it.  That has me scratching my head.  I've logged into routers lots of times in the past with no issues.  I guess this box is from Huawei LTE?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok.  I got into the settings for that router.  I've been reading the procedures for double router forwarding, as if I needed more stuff to confuse me.  

At this point I've changed so many IP addresses and settings I can't even log in to Milestone Mobil app even with the phone on the network.  

I got in over my head and it isn't getting any better.  I'm trying to figure out if my double port forwarding is going to open up port 8080.  No luck so far.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2tired2run] [#13]
I'm thinking the double router setup might be what's killing progress.  I tried plugging straight into that router and using the 192.168 web address to log into it and look at settings, but all I get are warning pages about security certificates so I stopped.

I went into the PC today and set my IPv4 properties to set the static IP address per some stuff I read online.  

I've spent hour after hour in there changing numbers and reading online about ports and settings.  I need to crack into this router they provided and see if I can figure it out.  The back of the router says to use the 192.168 website and gives the admin password.  I just can't seem to get there when the PC is plugged directly to it.  That has me scratching my head.  I've logged into routers lots of times in the past with no issues.  I guess this box is from Huawei LTE?
View Quote
You can make this work, if you setup the ISP router as a passthrough using bridge mode.  Check out this webpage.

https://kb.netgear.com/31163/How-to-change-4G-LTE-Modem-from-router-mode-to-bridge-mode
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I looked through every setting in the Huawei router they provided and I can't find anything on bridge mode settings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I see my Apple Airport Extreme has a bridge setting, but didn't see one in the router my ISP provided.  Everything in my house is set up to use the Airport.  If I set that one to bridge will that kill everything linked to that router?  

Would I want to bridge the first router inline, or the 2nd?  The Huawei router is first and then my Apple Airport is plugged into it.  According to one site I was reading that you can do a double router forwarding, so far I haven't figured it out.  I tried to set port forwarding in the first router to the 2nd and then on to the PC.  I tested it with an open port check tool and it still shows the port closed.  

I will probably have to stop for today.  I'll end up taking a big hammer to everything in this room soon.  I've changed so many IP addresses and ports today I'm pretty lost.  I'm just making things worse so far.  I can't even connect my phone app while on the network now.  I'm real close to deleting everything and starting over, won't be the first time
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I see my Apple Airport Extreme has a bridge setting, but didn't see one in the router my ISP provided.  Everything in my house is set up to use the Airport.  If I set that one to bridge will that kill everything linked to that router?  

Would I want to bridge the first router inline, or the 2nd?  The Huawei router is first and then my Apple Airport is plugged into it.  According to one site I was reading that you can do a double router forwarding, so far I haven't figured it out.  I tried to set port forwarding in the first router to the 2nd and then on to the PC.  I tested it with an open port check tool and it still shows the port closed.  

I will probably have to stop for today.  I'll end up taking a big hammer to everything in this room soon.  I've changed so many IP addresses and ports today I'm pretty lost.  I'm just making things worse so far.  I can't even connect my phone app while on the network now.  I'm real close to deleting everything and starting over, won't be the first time
View Quote
If I understand the Huawei device it is a modem/router it will have to be the 1st device on the incoming line from your Isp.  Your airport will have to remain second in line.  I'm not sure what will happen if you set the airport to bridge but I think you will hand off DHCP to the Huawei device basically turning the airport into a over glorified switch.  

If you can't bridge the Huawei you might look into buying your own modem.  That was what I had to do with TWC as their modem/router was a PITA, buying my own modem also saved me a few bucks a month.  Try calling the ISP and see if they can help you out or provide you with a standard of modem.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top