Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: w33b8t1] [#1]
Where are you guys mounting your server?  I was thinking of somewhere obscure, but then it is also harder to get to.

I have no basement and the garage is NM hot in the summer.

I am going to run windows.  Most likely should be running pro 7 or 8 so I can get a remote connection or does everyone trust team-viewer type stuff?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Mines in a hidden room.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: w33b8t1] [#4]
Well here goes.  One piece at a time.  All I have right now is a home computer, an old laptop, and a rasberry pi.

I bought a POE switch and a hikvision camera yesterday.  In search of a cheap server and a wall mounted rack.  Then I can start to expand.

Bought a computer.  Hopefully it will work.  If not I can use it in my garage.  I can't tell from the description if it implies dual processors or just the dual cores.  Going old school, with Xeon.  Link
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Will Luxriot work on a decent PC, with all IP cameras using a NAS for storage?

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Never tried that... Would be a LOT of network traffic.  I wouldn't even think about that without a high quality gigabit network, and a NAS that could handle it.

Much better to use local storage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By peekay:

Will Luxriot work on a decent PC, with all IP cameras using a NAS for storage?

Never tried that... Would be a LOT of network traffic.  I wouldn't even think about that without a high quality gigabit network, and a NAS that could handle it.

Much better to use local storage.

10tb Synology NAS with two gig ports in LACP.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably 5-6 cameras. Maybe 8. Nope, CIFS share. I assume Luxriot only runs on windows.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is in the main rack... But I used to record to a NAS inside my gun safe.
View Quote

How do you keep your NAS cool enough in the safe? I ran mine in there for a while but the drives kept overheating. External power brick for the power supply
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been researching PC based IP camera systems and have found ar15.com to be some of the best info on the web.  I have a couple of beginner questions I hope you can help me with.

I have a good source on Geovision cameras so will probably go with 5 or 6 1 MP cameras using their software.  I'm still a little uncertain on my computer build.  Looking at integrated motherboard using Intel processor and hoping because of price I can get by with an i5 processor.  Any advice on which specific processor?  How much ram?

Looks like most POE switches come with 4 or 8 POE ports.  If I start with 4 cameras and a 4 port POE switch is there any reason I can't eventually just add another 4 port POE switch?  Would something like a TRENDnet 8-Port 10/100Mbps PoE Switch (4x 10/100, 4x 10/100 PoE) TPE-S44 give me enough bandwidth?

Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: louisianarebel] [#13]
Originally Posted By supercrew:
I've been researching PC based IP camera systems and have found ar15.com to be some of the best info on the web.  I have a couple of beginner questions I hope you can help me with.

I have a good source on Geovision cameras so will probably go with 5 or 6 1 MP cameras using their software.  I'm still a little uncertain on my computer build.  Looking at integrated motherboard using Intel processor and hoping because of price I can get by with an i5 processor.  Any advice on which specific processor?  How much ram?

Looks like most POE switches come with 4 or 8 POE ports.  If I start with 4 cameras and a 4 port POE switch is there any reason I can't eventually just add another 4 port POE switch?  Would something like a TRENDnet 8-Port 10/100Mbps PoE Switch (4x 10/100, 4x 10/100 PoE) TPE-S44 give me enough bandwidth?

View Quote

I got a Thinkserver with a I3 processor and 4gb about to be 8gb of ram. It is running 4 cameras so far so good with blue iris.

And a POE switch kinda like this
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]

I have a large safe.  

And a low-power NAS (using a Qnap presently)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gajeep94yj:
Mine is in the main rack... But I used to record to a NAS inside my gun safe.

How do you keep your NAS cool enough in the safe? I ran mine in there for a while but the drives kept overheating. External power brick for the power supply

I have a large safe.  

And a low-power NAS (using a Qnap presently)

I used to keep my data NAS in the safe, but even with a power brick instead of internal power supply it kept over heating. I finally removed it and went with the security through obscurity method.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Another option would be a POE injector instead of either an expensive managed switch or a (still over priced) trendnet type of switch.
something like this

Just make sure you use a 48v power supply for the POE handshake that has to occur
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Another option would be a POE injector instead of either an expensive managed switch or a (still over priced) trendnet type of switch.
something like this

Just make sure you use a 48v power supply for the POE handshake that has to occur
View All Quotes

something like this

thanks, I've never seen the multi port POE injectors.  I was not planing on using a managed switch but even the unmanaged with 8 ports POE are not cheap.  I'm going to check into these passive injectors and may well use.

I hope to get more feedback from others on what CPU and ram they are running.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Shoot me an IM and I'll send you a 48v power supply made by Cisco. They are actually pretty difficult to find..... Amazon was pricey. I was lucky to find 8 for free.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Linkon] [#18]
How many 3mp cameras can the system in the OP reasonably support?  If I wanted to run four 3mp cameras would this system handle it?  How about 8?

These are the cameras I'm considering
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G7GMEOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01

Also, 4 of the cameras will be connected through this switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I have this system I plan to use:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800 3.20GHz; 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2MB L2 Cache
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SODIMM Installed 2 Slots
Hard Drive: 250GB 3.5" SATA (Will add a second drive or NAS system)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Installed with Recovery / Reinstallation Partition and Certificate Of Authenticity

What about a system like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH32Y6904
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Linkon:
How many 3mp cameras can the system in the OP reasonably support?  If I wanted to run four 3mp cameras would this system handle it?  How about 8?

These are the cameras I'm considering
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G7GMEOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01

Also, 4 of the cameras will be connected through this switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I have this system I plan to use:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800 3.20GHz; 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2MB L2 Cache
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SODIMM Installed 2 Slots
Hard Drive: 250GB 3.5" SATA (Will add a second drive or NAS system)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Installed with Recovery / Reinstallation Partition and Certificate Of Authenticity

What about a system like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH32Y6904
View Quote

Look at my post above. Id get the thinkserver for almost the same price. just by a few drives and a oem win 7 key.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, I didn't see your post until I already posted.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Is it possible to assign a static IP address to my cameras but use DHCP for the rest of the computers on my home network?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Absolutely.   That's what I do.
View All Quotes
Is it possible to assign a static IP address to my cameras but use DHCP for the rest of the computers on my home network?

Can you explain how or point me to a website that explains how?  I tried it but I couldn't see the cameras from computers using DHCP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#25]

You can assign static IPs two ways.

You can put the MAC addresses (of "filter the MAC" fame) into your router/firewall (that serves as the DHCP server on most home networks) and let it assign set IP addresses to the cameras...

Or you can just set the IP addresses in the cameras themselves,

I usually set my DHCP server to lend out IP addresses in a certain block (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, for instance).  I then set the IP addresses in the cameras themselves on a block OUTSIDE that DHCP block, but within the same subnet.  So the cameras are all around 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.70, for instance.  With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, those cameras and DHCP-served IP addresses will not conflict or overlap, but will be able to see each other on the network.

Make sense?
View All Quotes

Can you explain how or point me to a website that explains how?  I tried it but I couldn't see the cameras from computers using DHCP.

You can assign static IPs two ways.

You can put the MAC addresses (of "filter the MAC" fame) into your router/firewall (that serves as the DHCP server on most home networks) and let it assign set IP addresses to the cameras...

Or you can just set the IP addresses in the cameras themselves,

I usually set my DHCP server to lend out IP addresses in a certain block (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, for instance).  I then set the IP addresses in the cameras themselves on a block OUTSIDE that DHCP block, but within the same subnet.  So the cameras are all around 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.70, for instance.  With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, those cameras and DHCP-served IP addresses will not conflict or overlap, but will be able to see each other on the network.

Make sense?

Thank you - yes that does make sense.  
This part I do not know how to do: " I usually set my DHCP server to lend out IP addresses in a certain block (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, for instance)."

Can you please explain how to do this?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok thanks, I will check it out when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
GrayMan thanks a lot for the help - that worked and is exactly what I wanted to do.  In addition, while checking it out, I discovered I had never changed the username and password on my router from the default settings!!!  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Wow... Change that right away.
View All Quotes
GrayMan thanks a lot for the help - that worked and is exactly what I wanted to do.  In addition, while checking it out, I discovered I had never changed the username and password on my router from the default settings!!!  

Wow... Change that right away.

I changed mine to something so secure the other day that I had to reset the whole router.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 5 -3megapixel cameras and a 2mp.
Figured out it was my slow ass POE switch slowing everything to like 10fps, changed it to a gigabit POE switch and now i got 25-30fps on all of them. But my I-3 thinkserver is maxed out at 99% now instead of 40% like before
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Yeah... when you're running a batch of multi-megapixel cameras, you can really stress your regular 100-Megabit network infrastructure.

A few tips:

1.  Don't run that many FPS.  6-8 is more than adequate.
2.  Use H.264 or MPEG4... Motion JPEG is the worst on bandwidth (though the pic is usually slightly better)
3.  Use POE switches with a gigabit uplink port, and link that port to a central gigabit switch or gigabit NVR port.

And don't buy cameras off Amazon/Ebay with hacked firmware:  

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/CCTV%20fails/CKEtR29UwAEjDFh_zpswlk2jcyj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20fails/CKEtR29UwAEjDFh_zpswlk2jcyj.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
I have 5 -3megapixel cameras and a 2mp.
Figured out it was my slow ass POE switch slowing everything to like 10fps, changed it to a gigabit POE switch and now i got 25-30fps on all of them. But my I-3 thinkserver is maxed out at 99% now instead of 40% like before

Yeah... when you're running a batch of multi-megapixel cameras, you can really stress your regular 100-Megabit network infrastructure.

A few tips:

1.  Don't run that many FPS.  6-8 is more than adequate.
2.  Use H.264 or MPEG4... Motion JPEG is the worst on bandwidth (though the pic is usually slightly better)
3.  Use POE switches with a gigabit uplink port, and link that port to a central gigabit switch or gigabit NVR port.

And don't buy cameras off Amazon/Ebay with hacked firmware:  

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/CCTV%20fails/CKEtR29UwAEjDFh_zpswlk2jcyj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20fails/CKEtR29UwAEjDFh_zpswlk2jcyj.jpg</a>

I wonder how much the chinese will pay for me to proofread for them?
I like mah FPS Maybe its from being traumatized from all of the videos I have to pull and watch from tons of different places with shitty cameras.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a WD Purple 4TB HD coming for data storage on a PC I'm building for an IP camera system.  At the time I don't have any small SATA drives lying around to use for OS and VMS.  I know it's not the usual practice but any reason I can't partition a 100GB area (initialize as GPT since I have a MB that uses UEFI) and use it to boot off of and use the remaining 3.9TB for data?

I'll eventually pick up a small HD or an SSD on sale.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Might work... Though separate drives are usually advised
View All Quotes
I've got a WD Purple 4TB HD coming for data storage on a PC I'm building for an IP camera system.  At the time I don't have any small SATA drives lying around to use for OS and VMS.  I know it's not the usual practice but any reason I can't partition a 100GB area (initialize as GPT since I have a MB that uses UEFI) and use it to boot off of and use the remaining 3.9TB for data?

I'll eventually pick up a small HD or an SSD on sale.

Might work... Though separate drives are usually advised

I know that's true, but why?  I'm temporarily doing it right now on a 1 TB drive while waiting for the big drive and it seems fine.

Also, if I use a small conventional HD as boot drive would it spin 24/7 after loading VMS?  If so might be better to go SSD as not sure how most cheaper HD's would stand up to that kind of continuous usage. I've had real good luck with the inexpensive WD Blue drives but they are not designed for 24/7.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#38]
Updated with a more modern DVR build.
View Quote

Uncanny, I just built a system a couple hours ago that's almost identical except for the storage drives.  Mine is just to run Linux.  G3258 CPU on an H81M-K motherboard.

Is the CPU a G3420?  How hard does Milestone push it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I currently have a core2 quad 2.4 cpu running 4 3mb trendnet dome cameras and its struggling. I need to add 2 more cams soon and at the most 2 more latter on.I am using blue iris if that matters.

Do you think its worth the extra 130-150 bucks to get a i5 4950 vs a G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 ?

thanks

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks to Grayman for all the advice. I installed a Hikvision camera and NVR and it has been great.

I will second his advice about not buying off Amazon. I purchased a 2132 camera off Amazon. It turned out the seller was based in China which was only found on the seller page. They shipped a Chinese version of the camera with the old firmware. When it did not work with the NVR they still tried to maintain that it was an English version, even though all the instructions were in Chinese. After I investigated and identified it was a Chinese version, even though on Amazon it claimed it was an English version,  they finally agreed to accept the return and requested that I ship it back via the cheapest method to China. After about a month they still claim to have never received the camera and will not offer a refund. Amazon also denied my request for a refund because I did not ship the item back with delivery confirmation. So I am out the $100 for the camera and the $23 I paid to ship it back to the vendor. I replaced it with one purchased from B&H. There were no problems at all with that camera and NVR. Do not try to save a few pennies. Get it from a trusted source that will stand by their products if things don't work out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xepho] [#44]
Hey Grayman I'm currently replacing a BNC system with IP cameras at my house.

Right now I have 4x hikvision 4mp DS-2CD2042 Cameras, 3 of which are installed and wired.

And would like to build a PC that will be able to act as an NVR for them, running the iVMS software that came with the cameras (maybe blue iris later), with the possibility of adding 4 more cameras (total of 8).  And would love to know your thoughts on MINIMUM specs to accomplish this.  I currently have a 4TB WD Purple drive, and am now wondering what CPU would need to handle this.  I am currently thinking of an AMD FX-4350 quad core and tossing two sticks of 4gb ddr3 1333 ram in it.  I assume that this would work just fine, but is it overboard?

I would like them to hook into my gigabit switch which does not have POE capabilities.  So obviously I would need an injector, would this suffice?

POE injector

Basically my goal is to just have a small PC in the basement to handle all the camera stuff, and then be able to tap into it from another computer elsewhere in the house to remotely view the recorded footage, and since the cameras will go through the currently installed switch, be able to access the live view from iVMS installed on whatever device I am using.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Need advice.

Just built a Intel i7 system for a IP camera server.  I'm trying to make a decision on a hard drive. Don't know whether to go with an SSD or spindle HD for the OS and camera software (will use WD Purple for data storage). I certainly don't need the speed of an SSD but it would be quieter, cooler. On the other hand I can get a 1TB spindle drive for about the same price as an 120GB SSD. I could use the remainder of the 1TB for backup of non-camera data.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Supercrew, I'd go with an SSD for OS and software for sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the input on SSD's.  I'm using one in my business computer as the primary drive and couldn't be more pleased.  Guess I was just looking at giving up all that storage space for the same cost, but the benefit of quite operation and running cooler make up for it.

I used to think SSD's would put conventional HD's out of business, but I think we still have a long way to go when looking at costs for a data storage drives.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the input on SSD's.  I'm using one in my business computer as the primary drive and couldn't be more pleased.  Guess I was just looking at giving up all that storage space for the same cost, but the benefit of quite operation and running cooler make up for it.

I used to think SSD's would put conventional HD's out of business, but I think we still have a long way to go when looking at costs for a data storage drives.
View Quote

I think that the last articles I recently read said that SSDs will overtake HDDs about 18 months from now.  Mechanical drives in the 3.5" form factor have reached a storage capacity limit and can't get much larger.  SSDs will continue to get larger capacity and become less expensive.  Right now get an SSD for OS and an HDD for storage, but it won't be long before that will change if things stay on course.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top