Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like this thread is still alive
I am considering an weatherproof outdoor camera to mount on a post above my shed. It is a great place to observe my driveway, front door, etc. Ad says "connects to any DVR" . I have power to this "sort of" remote location. I can put whatever is needed in the shed. But- I want to be able to see the cam view inside the house, so I need an additional wireless setup. My laptops are wireless, and I also have a wireless router. There is no other wwireless network interference, and I will only have 1 cam.
Bottom line is, should I get the DVR cam, or get an IP wireless, network, or a different type of cam?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Sounds like an analog cam.  If you are going to send the stream over your network anyway, why not start with a network cam in the first place, and just hook it up to a wireless bridge?   That way you could get the stream over your existing wifi.

That's how I would do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidLee_64:
Looks like this thread is still alive
I am considering an weatherproof outdoor camera to mount on a post above my shed. It is a great place to observe my driveway, front door, etc. Ad says "connects to any DVR" . I have power to this "sort of" remote location. I can put whatever is needed in the shed. But- I want to be able to see the cam view inside the house, so I need an additional wireless setup. My laptops are wireless, and I also have a wireless router. There is no other wwireless network interference, and I will only have 1 cam.
Bottom line is, should I get the DVR cam, or get an IP wireless, network, or a different type of cam?

Sounds like an analog cam.  If you are going to send the stream over your network anyway, why not start with a network cam in the first place, and just hook it up to a wireless bridge?   That way you could get the stream over your existing wifi.

That's how I would do it.

That does seem to make more sense. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What hardware would you suggest now for a 4-8 camera setup (probably the hikvision 3mp),POE switch running Blue Iris?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
How would you make it viewable on your tv? I have small tv's next to my normal one right now to view it. But with IP cams you would have to use your pc i guess?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Depends on the type of TV, and what kind of ports it has on the back.  If the TV has a VGA (or DVI, or HDMI, etc) port on it, you can simply duplicate the view your computer monitor gets, and send it to that TV.  You'd need to run a Cat5/6 cable, and use a video extender (google for "cat5 video extender" or "UTP video extender") to send the signal to that TV.

If you want to inject that view into your cable stream (so you can view it on every TV in the house by tuning to a certain channel), that's doable also.  Plenty of security companies offer that feature, and with analog cable it used to be easy to do.  However, you need to talk to the techs at your local cable system, ESPECIALLY if you're on digital cable (as many people are now).  It's a lot more difficult on digital cable, and every cable system will be different.  You'll probably have to speak to the head geek at the cable company, since the regular techs aren't going to know how to do it (assuming it's even possible).

If it's possible to inject that video stream into your cable, you'll also have to send your video stream to the main distribution line for your home cable (hopefully that distribution block/splitter is in a closet somewhere, and not in a grey box on the side of your house ).  Then you need the appropriate channel/video injector.

If this all sounds like a lot of trouble, that's because it is... I'd say you're better off running a video extender over cat5/6, and utilizing one of the extra VGA/DVI ports on the back of your TV.  That way, all you have to do is hit the "source" button on your remote, and you'll get the entire tiled view from your DVR/NVR/PC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
How would you make it viewable on your tv? I have small tv's next to my normal one right now to view it. But with IP cams you would have to use your pc i guess?

Depends on the type of TV, and what kind of ports it has on the back.  If the TV has a VGA (or DVI, or HDMI, etc) port on it, you can simply duplicate the view your computer monitor gets, and send it to that TV.  You'd need to run a Cat5/6 cable, and use a video extender (google for "cat5 video extender" or "UTP video extender") to send the signal to that TV.

If you want to inject that view into your cable stream (so you can view it on every TV in the house by tuning to a certain channel), that's doable also.  Plenty of security companies offer that feature, and with analog cable it used to be easy to do.  However, you need to talk to the techs at your local cable system, ESPECIALLY if you're on digital cable (as many people are now).  It's a lot more difficult on digital cable, and every cable system will be different.  You'll probably have to speak to the head geek at the cable company, since the regular techs aren't going to know how to do it (assuming it's even possible).

If it's possible to inject that video stream into your cable, you'll also have to send your video stream to the main distribution line for your home cable (hopefully that distribution block/splitter is in a closet somewhere, and not in a grey box on the side of your house ).  Then you need the appropriate channel/video injector.

If this all sounds like a lot of trouble, that's because it is... I'd say you're better off running a video extender over cat5/6, and utilizing one of the extra VGA/DVI ports on the back of your TV.  That way, all you have to do is hit the "source" button on your remote, and you'll get the entire tiled view from your DVR/NVR/PC.

Wow. Makes the analog system i got look easy.
No cable here. Building a house right now though.
I was thinking of getting a video card with HDMI and running the cat5 balun things to the tv's. Almost broke down and paid someone to do this.

Balun
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Why kind of software would you recommend for a 15 or so camera system? Anything you can tie in with existing fire detection system etc?

So to this system I just run a cat5e from existing router in office to the switch for the security system in safe room?

What switch recommendations do you have?  I know you stated the recomendations for performance but any specific switch you recommend?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you....  Do you have a donation link? lol you deserve one.....  So basically just a cable to the switch from the PC.  All cameras plugged into switch obviously.   Then to put it online for mobile access just plug the switch into a router that is connected?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
If I don't want to dick around with installing my own hard drive and other stuff would something like this work:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M90p-SFF-3853-Desktop-PC-Core-i5-3-33GHz-4GB-1TB-Windows-7-/361070145287?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5411752f07

Without going to the link it's a Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p SFF (3853) Desktop PC Core i5 3.33GHz 4GB 1TB Windows 7.   Price is $275.  

I appreciate all the work you have done and I am just starting to figure this out.  I can do some minor computer stuff but I prefer not to.  When I get closer to buying cams I will start a thread that maybe will help the less computer literate like myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you share the specs on your current quad-core, 6TB setup? Which processor? What's your CPU utilization with 16 streams coming in? Are your 6TBs in a RAID (0/1/5/10?). What operating system are you using?

What 48 port Gigabit PoE switch are you using? Any idea how much wattage your rack is pulling and how this impacts your power bill?  

I appreciate all your home security/camera threads. We built a house a few years ago. I had several ethernet drops run to the eaves and they're just sitting in a junction box behind a blank plate. I'm now getting around to looking at IP cameras, NVRs, etc. I'm comfortable building the NVR (I was a medical informatics geek in med school) but still a newbie on the camera and NVR software side, although Luxriot looks very interesting. I like playing with Linux a bit, but the Linux packages look way too involved.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#17]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow. That's excellent. Thanks for the very detailed response.

I've been trolling eBay for refurbed ThinkCentre's, but I keep thinking about a 2U chassis setup like you've described. With the right motherboard, I could potentially use an mSATA SSD for the boot drive and have 4 available drive bays.

How many hours or days of 16-stream recording can you do before it starts overwriting the oldest stuff? Does Luxriot fill up the first drive to its quota, and then switch to the next drive, or does it write to all of them all the time?

Any reason you'd ever want (or need) a RAID array? Four of the Western Digital 4TB drives would be around $6-700. You'd lose one drive's capacity in a  RAID5, but 12 GB for $6-700 isn't too bad. Just curious.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey errbody...checking back in.  I used an old Dell Optiplex 755 as the foundation for my PC DVR and finally got a camera set up to test the system.  I am absolutely delighted with the results and hope to get the rest of my cameras mounted later today.

One question...I'm using Hikvisions and their iVMS-4200 PCNVR software; when I try to push the "fast-forward" slider, it hardly does anything.  It goes all the way to 8x, but even on 8x it seems to just be a jerkier version of 1x.  Would this be due to lack of a video card in the PC?  Looks like the onboard video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100...would that explain it?  I'm thinking of putting a crappy card in just for this to work smoothly, but I also want to keep power consumption down since I've got the PC as well as the POE switches all on UPSes so I'll have video for a few minutes following a power outage and don't want the PC to consume much more power...

Many thanks all, and most particularly to GrayMan, who has given countless hours to educating former idiots such as myself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought one of these
Thinkserver

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server System Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz 4GB

Its insane quiet. Just haven't got the cameras going or a program bought yet.
I put a SSD and 2 1TB drives in it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Security DVRs are only dealing in 2D video, so big-gun graphics cards aren't necessary.   CPU power is likely to be your limiting factor.
View Quote

Well, as usual, you nailed it.  CPU usage according to iVMS-4200 is usually 100%, while memory is usually at 20%.  Here's the machine I made into a DVR:

Optiplex 755 Desktop

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
[email protected]
2.53 GHz, 3.23 GB RAM

Am I destined to endure crappy playback unless I replace the processor?  Seems a lot to do to a free castoff machine from work...maybe I should just wait until they ditch a better one...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaaactually, I'd like to run six off of it. Right now I am using integrated gfx and LAN but a vid card and LAN card would be a lot less expensive than a new processor.  When I just had one can on it, it was passable, but with two it's pretty painful just trying to watch 1x playback...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Once again Grey, you save the day. I think I've kept the last several graphics cards that have become obsolete in my gaming rig - let me see if I can find them.

Makes total sense about onboard stuff hogging resources!  I should have thought of that...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I found one so far...an *ancient* 9800GT...man it's been a while!  I think I have several others around, but if they're anything like this huge monster, they're high-end cards with big fans, etc. - makes me a little worried that they'll drain a lot of power and substantially shorten my runtime on the UPS.  So......how much horsepower should I need to get smooth playback on 6 or maybe even 8 cams?  Do I need to resign myself to the fact that I need a high-octane card that is a necessary evil that will decrease emergency runtime?

Of course on the other hand, if the system is running and recording as usual rather than playing back, perhaps it wouldn't be demanding as much from the video card...then again, it may be demanding exactly the same amount since it's still rendering video...

Sorry...this has gotten a bit complex...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Gotcha, makes good sense.

Does the Intel NIC have to be PCI-E?  There seem to be plenty of cheap PCI ones, but the cheapest PCI-E I can find (that's new at least) is $18...

Of course, I suppose I should crack this thing open again this afternoon and see what slots it's actually got before I get too froggy.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I would never in ten million thousand years have known that.  Ordered!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I think i've figured out how to rig up a way to watch the cameras from my computer to my tv.
I have a vga/svideo to coax converter. Just plug in the svideo from my video card and use the extra coax to my tv for the ip camera feeds.
Haven't got to try it yet, maybe next week.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I really don't mean to bog down this thread....I promise this is the end!

In selecting a video card, I'm thinking about not only playback of one cam but also watching the live feed from 8 at once...might this card do the job, or would I need more HP?  It's $35 from newegg.

GeForce 210 1 GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121422

It is important that the card be fanless so I can keep the machine silent.

Thanks guys!  Again, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
OK, strange - finally got the GeForce 210 and Intel PRO 1000 in, all with the newest drivers...and the problem has actually gotten worse!!  The video is now not only laggy but actually will jump a bit.  Just viewing one live feed puts CPU usage up to 75-90 percent, and viewing two puts it at 100.  As does playback.  I looked in the BIOS and it was set to automatically quit using onboard video if a card appeared, but I set it to Onboard/Card anyway to see if it would help, and it did not...what on earth is going on here?

BTW, Windows Task Manager agrees with PCNVR's CPU usage readings, but we knew it was crap already...

Many, many thanks, all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's the other specs if it's helpful:

XP Pro SP3
E7200 dual core @ 2.53 GHz
3 GB Ram

C drive (system drive) 220GB out of 230 free
NVR drive 2 TB, showing all full, perhaps because it's been formatted by the software?

This thing is only serving as an NVR...I do connect internet to it occasionally for drivers, etc., but otherwise not.  Running AVG free just to be safe - otherwise, it's barebones.

Seems like with a decent card the CPU shouldn't be working quite so hard...perhaps it's still trying to do some gfx stuff??  Shouldn't...and I've tried both BIOS options....grr!!

Thx all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards - downloading xprotect go now! Other suggestions welcomed - not afraid to pay if it's worth it but free is great too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Aaaand Milestone is 64-bit only.  Bummer - will try Genius Vision, but I suppose at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much because in theory if there's a clip I really want to see in decent quality, I can export it, because it *should* be recording smoothly; it's just playback that struggles.  Will test later on...

But as buggy as I've found Hikvision's (admittedly free) software, it wouldn't surprise me if I was able to find NVR software that was less of a CPU hog.  Alas, and also 32-bit...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Hello I have a few questions about setting my own camera system. (sorry for any stupid questions)

First my dad told me today he wants to install a few surveillance cameras around our house. I read through most of this thread and got a (very) rough idea of I need.

first things first he only wants four cameras. I also have a few spare pc parts from when I upgraded my gaming rig a while back

I was wondering if these parts could contribute in any way? the motherboard does have a gigabit NIC already on it and the CPU being a quad core I assume would help. Do you have hard drive recommendations i.e. WD purple drives or the like?

What he wants is to have multiple "hi-res" cameras (so I assume I will need this)

Now for the software he wants to have it be accessible from mobile or another PC (to my understanding a broadcast server). For the box itself he wants linux (idk why). I saw earlier that you were running Luxriot. Would that be ideal for what I'm trying to accomplish? I see on their site it says it's open architecture, does that mean Linux compatible?

I also need Camera suggestions. they will be outdoors where they will probably get ice and rain and whatnot on them so need to be weatherproof.

Is there anything else I am missing?

thank you for your time
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quick update - Genius Vision is running my two test cams with about half the CPU usage that the Hikvision software was!  It does have a bit of a learning curve, but is very responsive and has lots of options.  Sure haven't figured it all out yet but I'm on my way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Alright now I've added in the extra parts to make this a functioning pc

this is the camera I came up with that my dad seems to like

thanks again
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm debating on buying an NVR or using an older PC as a standalone recorder for an IP camera system. My goals are to have a system that can be viewed remotely, send email alerts, store video locally, and upload to offsite storage. I would like to run a line to the TV so I can switch over to view the cameras when needed (video extender). Is it possible to view the feed live over Wifi with something like an ipad?

I haven't bought any equipment yet. If I go the NVR route, I would get the cameras, NVR, UPS, and video extender. For the PC route, it would be the same minus the NVR obviously. Am I missing anything other cable and other installation/mounting hardware.

Budget is around $1000. Hopefully less. I'll be starting out with 3 or 4 cameras but would like to have at least 8 POE ports for expansion.

Is there a good "bang for your buck" camera that will clearly show license plates from 50-100ft? Will one of the Hikvisions with the 12mm lens do this?

Go with Cat5e or Cat6 cable?

Feel free to recommend equipment and point out anything I'm missing.

Here's the PC specs.

• Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/CoA

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.5 GHz processor

• 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

• 640 GB SATA hard drive

• DVD±RW Drive

• No floppy drive

• Integrated graphics

• Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

• 10/100 Ethernet LAN on system board

• Modem

• Front Panel 19-in-1 Media Card Reader

I can rob the SATA connection from the CD drive and add another HDD. There's also one available PCI E slot. Will this PC be acceptable for a system with 4-6 3MP Hikvision cameras?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rhanson94] [#50]

Originally Posted By rhanson94:

I'm debating on buying an NVR or using an older PC as a standalone recorder for an IP camera system...

View Quote

^^^No ideas or suggestions?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top