Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2011 11:09:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan]
Updated for modern system build:

So you want to build your own PC-based DVR/NVR for your home security system... but how?  If you're a newbie to building PCs, this is the thread for you.  We're going to turn an older PC (Athlon64 X2) into a more-modern PC, and use it to record/store CCTV data.

This will be a Milestone system... but you could use Blue Iris, luxriot, Exacqvision.... whatever you want.  We'll go through this up to the point of installed the actual CCTV software.

The hardware:  We have Windows 7 Pro, an Asus Micro-ATX motherboard, a generic DVD drive, an i5 CPU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and two 3TB Western Digital "Red" drives (generally used for NAS applications, but also usable for CCTV).

Here is the case/guts of the computer we're repurposing.  The PSU is a good one, so we'll reuse it.  Ditto for that samsung SSD drive you see.

We remove the screws holding the power-supply in place, and flip it up/back to expose the MB:

This case has a removable motherboard tray (a nice option).  Taking out two screws allows the MB+tray to slide out the back:

Ribbon cables... Yeach...

Airflow is much better with SATA:

So here is the motherboard+tray after removal from the case:

Remove the screws holding the MB to the stand-offs (the little posts you see sticking up), and remove the whole shebang.

Now let us prep the new MB before we mount it.  This will involve installing the CPU, memory, and heat-sink/fan.  

We also have to remove the backplate for the case (these are MB-specific... each new MB comes with their own).  You will notice that the new plate matches the ports on the new motherboard exactly.

To install the CPU, lift the little lever and remove the black protector plate (it helps protect the pins on the MB during transport)

Get your new CPU and remove it from the packaging.  It comes with its own fan/heatsink:

Gently lay the CPU into the socket (this one is a socket 1150).  It only fits one way, so you can't get it wrong... but look for the tiny gold arrow on the corner (lower right-hand-corner in this pic).  That arrow mates up to a tiny gold dot marked on the MB.  Put the lever down, and tuck the end underneath the metal tab (top-right of the socket in this pic)

Note the gray stuff in the center of that heatsink?  That's thermal compound...  and while the OEM stuff works OK, I always use aftermarket thermal grease.  So I rub the OEM stuff off, and apply my own to the CPU.  

You want a VERY thin layer on the top of that CPU... less is more.  I run a bead along the edge (left-side in this case), and use the plastic CPU package to spread/drag the goop across the die, making a thin layer.  Make several passes if you need to... it's not unlike doing drywall, with mud/spackle.

The heatsink/fan goes next.  You push down the pins, and turn them 90-degrees counter-clockwise with a screwdriver:

DO NOT FORGET TO PLUG IN THE FAN.  When I was a noobie PC builder, I once spent all night trying to figure out why a particular build would not POST... and finally figured out that I had forgotten to plug in the CPU fan.  The board wouldn't start without it.  

Memory comes next.  Note the little notch in the pins?  It mates up to the memory socket on the MB, so you can't get it wrong.  Insert with gentle pressure, until the latches on either end snap into place:

Now we mount the MB to the tray, and match it up to all the ports.  There are little metal flanges that sit on top of some of those ports, so angle the MB so that it gets underneath these flanges before you slide it all the way to the back:

Once mounted, the entire tray can be slid back into the case, and secured.  Don't forget to plug in all the power cables:

Now for one of the biggest pains-in-the-ass of PC building...  matching up all these tiny plugs with their headers on the MB.  This is where you need the MB manual to look at the pin-outs for all the connections.  This MB doesn't have firewire, so the 1394 plug you see there will go unused... but all the others should find a home.

It's this kind of thing:

Install the CD-ROM

Resecure the PSU:

Route the cables so they don't obstruct the airflow:

And now we install the new hard drives.  This case has a removable HD caddy:

The drives are installed and secured in the usual way, with their ports to the right (since that's how the caddy sits in the case:

Plug them in:

View from the other side;

And here are the CDs we will need.  NEVER lose the CD that comes with the MB... downloading all those drivers is a major PITA.

Plugged-in and powered-up... all the important lights are lit:L

Boot up (with the Windows 7 CD in the drive), and enter the BIOS.  Select the CDROM as the boot device, and get to installing windows:

We're doing the "custom advanced" install... because upgrade installs are a thing of great evil.  I've had too many of those go sideways.

We're going to install right overtop of the previous version (XP).  The installed or "system" drive will be that SSD we recycled.  The two 3TB Western Digital drives will be strictly for video data:

Listen to some Deadmau5 while we wait:

Product key:

Install all the drivers from the MB CD (Asus has a handy "InstALL" feature that does all of them... takes about an hour and three reboots)

After that, it's time for "Windows Update."  Depending on how many updates are out there, this can take hours... so grab a beer.

Hory crap... 1.1GB of updates?  

Will format those video data drives while we wait.  Just go into the control panel, administrative tools, and use the disk-management tool.  There is a Simple Volume Wizard that walks you through it:

Updates still going... and going...

Aaaaand done!  Your new DVR machine is ready for installation of your preferred video management software!

Link Posted: 5/6/2011 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Any free or easily torrented DVR software?
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jeffco55:

None that are user-friendly... or that don't require a very high degree of Linux proficiency.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]

I misspoke... there IS a "free" software suite.  You can get Milestone Xprotect Go.  It does eight channels, but only records for a max of five days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 2:00:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
another awesome thread GM.  Awesome.  Picking up a thinkcentre off ebay, as i opened my old dell that i had laying around and realized it still used the IDE harddrive cables.... oh well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thread.

So maybe I'm just misunderstanding here, but with this approach of using a PC based DVR, are we using network cameras?  Because I'm not seeing anything about a video card with camera inputs and I'm just trying to understand this setup a little better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you think enterprise class hard drive is necessary or just overkill. Needing to buy a 2tb drive and the. $89  green drives are intriguing or do I spend the 250 for the same drive but enterprise level that is meant to run at much worse conditions, or am I just overbuilding it since who knows what is in the dvr boxes that you see for sale in the camera kits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
tag

Thanks CJ and Grayman
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagaroni
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several Panasonic ip camera's at a second home and I would like to record the feed from my primary location. Based on your reviews I think I will go with Blue Iris. However I only have imacs and it seems most software, including blue iris, is windows based. Instead of building my own pc is there any that would be capable of the job right out of the box? Of course the cheaper the better since this is all I woud be using it for...Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Another awesome thread.

Can't wait to get my new place.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Could you offer some advice on the minimum hardware requirements for the PC DVR?  I have a couple of old machines sitting around not doing much that I could use for such a project.  Alternately, I could get something newer.  You had mentioned a large hard drive, but exactly how much processing power and RAM are needed for a multi-camera system that may include both analog and IP type cameras?  I'm guessing more cameras require more computer, or do the cameras process the images and the computer simply stores them?  Thanks for the informative writeup.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
So, with what you outlined did you leave the system hard drive in place and just use the installed hard drive as a secondary disk?  

Assuming you did leave the system hard drive in place, did you simply install the Xprotect Go software on the new hard drive and then operate completely off of it?
Using the NIC do you connect to the network switch that the cameras are all attached to directly?

I am interested in building an IP based system and intend to do it in stages.  In the end I would like to have 5-6 cameras, so expansion is certainly necessary.  The first stage would be one IP based dome over the front door to allow ID of whomever is at the door.  

With expansion in mind is the PC based DVR the way to go?  What else would I need, UPS, Network Switch?  Or could I get by with the single camera connected directly to the NIC in the beginning with the intent to add a network switch and more cameras in the future?
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 6:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough repsonse.  
I am going to go with a PC based DVR as described in the tutorial.  

For the PC based DVR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkcentre-M55-Desktop-Core-2-Duo-1-8-Ghz-2GB-80GB-DVD-ROM-XP-Home-/230757812761?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item35ba3cca19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148681
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121909&cm_re=drive_cooler-_-17-121-909-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015

PoE switch (4 channel PoE)
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-100Mbps-Switch-TPE-S44/dp/B000QYEN1W/ref=pd_cp_e_3

APC UPS
http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-Outlet-550VA/dp/B0019804U8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331253819&sr=1-1

Final step is the camera. Pictured below is the location.

As you can see, there are no windows with ability to view this area.  I am thinking a simple IP based Dome camera with a seperate IR illuminator would be a good option.  I have looked at many cameras but I am simply overwhelemed with the options.  Purpose of the camera would be identification of whom is at the door and judge intent. If mounted on the ceiling it would be very protected from the elements, however the low arch would dramatically impact it's field of observation.  

How are my choices looking?  Any and all help is much appreciated.  Once again thanks for
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

None that are user-friendly... or that don't require a very high degree of Linux proficiency.

ISPY open source........?

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Reinforcing the frame and strike plate will be one of the first things I do. We haven't closed, few more weeks!

I will look into WDR/IP/Domes.

I'm going to get going on the PC DVR so when we close we can install immediately. Do the components I listed above meet the criteria for the PC base DVR?
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogface_313] [#26]
Looking at these two cameras.
I would like to get the TCm-7411 but it is a bit of a stretch.

Arecont AV 2155DN
ACTI ACM 7411
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I will hold out until I find a deal on the TCM or once it gets closer to closing date I will bite the bullet.  Sorry for the thread hijack by the way.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yammerschooner] [#30]
basic skills person here, so please pardon if the question has too obvious an answer.

Is there any reason that someone couldn't just run an external 2TB hard drive instead of going through the trouble of replacing the CD drive?  It seems the usb cord would allow the external to be located nearby in a more secure area like in the place of a goldenrod.  Does the difference between transfer rates of usb 1, usb 2, or usb 3 and sata play in at all?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471

For $105 it seems like the cost could compete with an internal and be more user friendly.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]
My m55 arrived yesterday. After spending some time updating to the newst service packs and .net framework I was able to install milestone go. My first camera arrived today. I picked up an entry level GE security PoE IP camera. Going to check out how that works and go from there. I will report back with results. Once this is complete I will look into a new Ethernet card and HDD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 2:19:02 AM EDT
[#33]
any recommendations on a 8 port capture card?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Any good linux software suggestions? I have a readyNAS with 9T on my network already and it would be bad ass to be able to pipe everything to that instead of bringing up another machine.

Also, are you going to include some suggestions for camera choices? I've embarked on this quest a few times and been buried in choices of cameras to which I don't know enough about. I'm looking for one for my driveway, one for the back door, one for the street, and I'd like one that mounts in the door so I can get a face view of whoever is knocking. All day/night compatible. IP cameras would be preferable, wireless a nice option.. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 11:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#36]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
so with this post starting so long ago what bare bones system would you start with now ? still the thinkcenter m55 or something with a bit more pep in its step :) I really dont know how much strain ?  for a system running up to 6  1-3mp ip wired cameras possibly 1 wireless.

would this poe switch be ok or should I spend more for a smart one. I doubt I ever would use the smart features.  I know if I get to the 6 wired cameras I will need 2 more poe ports. Or should I get a gigabit capable switch for 2x the cost ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156229

I have a pcie nic not sure what brand I have had it in a box for years lol. and this for the hard drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136828
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks

One more question and It might be because I have been looking at computer parts all day lol. So I take it you would plug the 4 ip cameras into the poe ports on the switch. Then plug the m55 sff box into one of the other non powered ports and then connect my wireless router/modem into one of the non powered  ports on the switch to alow me to access the cameras from the internet correct ?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]
thanks again I can sleep now lol

so its cable modem--->wireless dual band router---->PoE switch and then everything else :) I have an aquarium monitoring system on there already that I port forward from dyndns I assume I can use that address to access the camera system also just using different ports

I do not have a static ip so assume the only way for it to work is use something like dyndns right.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 11:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shadycoh] [#43]
I ended up snaging a TRENDnet (TPE-S160) 16-Ports Rack Mountable Switch all 16 ports are poe at 15 watts each. 3.2 gbs cap  for 160 shipped from ebay. it was used so if he was honest and it works I think I got a screaming deal and no need to upgrade <i hope lol>
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Hello all.  I am new to this site.  I found it by googling "build a home security camera system using an old dvr".

The information provided is AWESOME.  But I still would like to know if anyone has any information on how to use an old dvr to do this?  I bought a house that had an old comcast hd dvr in the attic.  I would love to be able to use it for SOMETHING!

Thanks for any info!

Mack
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I kinda get the pc upgrades as i'm not a geek but wondering if there is a wiring diagram for a system and type of wire needed.  Also is it  best to run everything to a secure location. I have a vault room but figure it would be a pain to make home runs from each camera if that is whats needed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey all - this thread is incredible.  Quick question:  will I be able to set this up even though I don't have either wired or wireless internet at the house?  I don't mind getting a router or other essential piece of equipment as long as the system doesn't need that router to have internet.  Sure seems like it wouldn't matter but I am an idiot!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50BMGdoesitforme] [#49]
Perfect!  I'll just record locally until Obama hooks up my free Obamanet.  I'm certain it will be any minute now...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top