Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rlltd42] [#1]
Odd request here, but does anybody have a 3 pole (12V Power) terminal block and/or a power adapter for an Acti IP camera?  I got a second hand 7411 dome camera, but it didn't come with any of the terminal blocks nor an adaptor.  I've been using it with POE, but need to hook it up to 12 V DC for a project I'm doing.

I cannot locate a terminal block for sale anywhere online.  If somebody has either of these items they are willing to part with I'm interested.

Thanks

Acti hooked me up, great customer service!

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure i have one.   if you want to pay for shipping ill send you one
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
That system will handle those cameras no problem.  

And just get a proper POE gigabit switch... Don't use that monstrosity you linked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Xepho:

Hey Grayman I'm currently replacing a BNC system with IP cameras at my house.

Right now I have 4x hikvision 4mp DS-2CD2042 Cameras, 3 of which are installed and wired.

And would like to build a PC that will be able to act as an NVR for them, running the iVMS software that came with the cameras (maybe blue iris later), with the possibility of adding 4 more cameras (total of 8).  And would love to know your thoughts on MINIMUM specs to accomplish this.  I currently have a 4TB WD Purple drive, and am now wondering what CPU would need to handle this.  I am currently thinking of an AMD FX-4350 quad core and tossing two sticks of 4gb ddr3 1333 ram in it.  I assume that this would work just fine, but is it overboard?

I would like them to hook into my gigabit switch which does not have POE capabilities.  So obviously I would need an injector, would this suffice?

POE injector

Basically my goal is to just have a small PC in the basement to handle all the camera stuff, and then be able to tap into it from another computer elsewhere in the house to remotely view the recorded footage, and since the cameras will go through the currently installed switch, be able to access the live view from iVMS installed on whatever device I am using.

That system will handle those cameras no problem.  

And just get a proper POE gigabit switch... Don't use that monstrosity you linked.
I use one of those monstrosities, it works great  I wanted everything to be fanless since it was located in the bedroom and I couldn't find any fanless 16+ port switches with at least 6 POE ports without spending a huge amount of money. I mounted it to a blank plate in the rack. The cabling is simple but ugly, good thing it's going to be hidden in a cabinet.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying to avoid buying an actual NVR. Reading here it seems that I can do that by buying software such as Blue Iris and using a switch to route the cameras to the computer. The switch will route the network (internal and external) to and from the PC, correct? Router would be plugged in to the switch.

Gigabit components will cost me a few dollars more and with 4 cameras (3MP) it might not be required but better to avoid future upgrades. I would like to do motion only record on a dome camera and was not sure if the Hikvision model can do that?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137987-REG/hikvision_ds_2cd2132f_i_2_8_3mp_vandom_ir_2_8m_30c_ip66.html

Thank you for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xepho] [#5]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
I'm trying to avoid buying an actual NVR. Reading here it seems that I can do that by buying software such as Blue Iris and using a switch to route the cameras to the computer. The switch will route the network (internal and external) to and from the PC, correct? Router would be plugged in to the switch.

Gigabit components will cost me a few dollars more and with 4 cameras (3MP) it might not be required but better to avoid future upgrades. I would like to do motion only record on a dome camera and was not sure if the Hikvision model can do that?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137987-REG/hikvision_ds_2cd2132f_i_2_8_3mp_vandom_ir_2_8m_30c_ip66.html

View Quote

I ended up building a dedicated PC for blue irs and 4x cameras.

You need a decent CPU for it, as blue iris is pretty cpu intensive.  I originally tried with an AMD A10-7850k, and at 4mp 20fps it was using about 65% of the CPU, so I swapped it out for an i5-3570 and it ended up around 40% usage.

The software can indeed record however you want it to, it is a LOT more user friendly than the hikvision DVR (And I tried the hikvision PC software, but couldn't figure that out for the life of me), and the "alert" screenshots are nice if you have it recording 24/7, as a way to quickly find out what caused motion.

I have a 24 port switch connected to everything in the house, then a separate POE switch that the cameras are drawing power from, and that is connected to the 24 port switch.  the cameras each have their own IP, and blue iris is finding them without a problem, no special forwarding or anything like that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]

You need a decent CPU for it, as blue iris is pretty cpu intensive.  I originally tried with an AMD A10-7850k, and at 4mp 20fps it was using about 65% of the CPU, so I swapped it out for an i5-3570 and it ended up around 40% usage.

The software can indeed record however you want it to, it is a LOT more user friendly than the hikvision DVR (And I tried the hikvision PC software, but couldn't figure that out for the life of me), and the "alert" screenshots are nice if you have it recording 24/7, as a way to quickly find out what caused motion.

I have a 24 port switch connected to everything in the house, then a separate POE switch that the cameras are drawing power from, and that is connected to the 24 port switch.  the cameras each have their own IP, and blue iris is finding them without a problem, no special forwarding or anything like that.
View All Quotes

Great, thanks. I believe my PC is an i7 with a decent graphics card. It runs SolidWorks very well, both modeling and the FEA part which I have had struggles with on other well equipped machines. It just sits other than when I want to look up some reloading data so I might as well make good use of it. Probably upgrade it with a PCI-E network card and a 3 TB HDD.

The Blue Iris that is sold on Amazon is $10 cheaper than the direct website. I wonder if it's the same software though. Amazon says the publisher is Amcrest and the direct website says Perspective. Odd.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Great, thanks. I believe my PC is an i7 with a decent graphics card. It runs SolidWorks very well, both modeling and the FEA part which I have had struggles with on other well equipped machines. It just sits other than when I want to look up some reloading data so I might as well make good use of it. Probably upgrade it with a PCI-E network card and a 3 TB HDD.

The Blue Iris that is sold on Amazon is $10 cheaper than the direct website. I wonder if it's the same software though. Amazon says the publisher is Amcrest and the direct website says Perspective. Odd.
View All Quotes

This is where I got mine, no issues:
http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/product/blue-iris-video-security-and-webcam-software-full-license/

Graphics aren't needed for BI.  Just pure CPU, anything more than 4gb ram is fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/product/blue-iris-video-security-and-webcam-software-full-license/

Graphics aren't needed for BI.  Just pure CPU, anything more than 4gb ram is fine.
View All Quotes

Thanks for your inputs. I ended up with an ION NVR after Nellys talked me into it. It was only $100 but I am having issues forwarding the IP address and the inability to use motion record with the Hikvision camera I have in my driveway is quite annoying. The HDD fills up quickly. I am thinking of going back to the PC based system. I would need to pull the HDD out and use it as a slave in my PC but I've done that before. I am not sure if software such as Milestone or Blue Iris are picky about what cameras for motion record. I have an Eyesurv dome on the front porch and a Hik bullet on the side. I would like to add at least one more dome for the back entrance but would love to go WiFi there due to the wire routing. I am not sure how to integrate that but I guess it could just go through my wireless router.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Sounds like a settings issue.
View All Quotes

Thanks for your inputs. I ended up with an ION NVR after Nellys talked me into it. It was only $100 but I am having issues forwarding the IP address and the inability to use motion record with the Hikvision camera I have in my driveway is quite annoying. The HDD fills up quickly. I am thinking of going back to the PC based system. I would need to pull the HDD out and use it as a slave in my PC but I've done that before. I am not sure if software such as Milestone or Blue Iris are picky about what cameras for motion record. I have an Eyesurv dome on the front porch and a Hik bullet on the side. I would like to add at least one more dome for the back entrance but would love to go WiFi there due to the wire routing. I am not sure how to integrate that but I guess it could just go through my wireless router.

Sounds like a settings issue.

Yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried adding the IP of my NVR to the port forwarding area in my router settings but I think it needs to be the public IP which I have to get from my IS Provider?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: learfxr] [#12]
My buddy built me a PC using some spare parts he had around.  It's a mini tower with an I5 processor in a G1Killer MB for gaming.  It has 16GB of RAM and a Blue 500GB drive.  I added a 4TB purple drive in it and I'm trying to get it to list the drive in the computer.  It cut it in two halves and it named one D drive, but it won't do anything with the other half???  So far I have a drive D with 2TB and my C drive.  I'm confused with this thing.  I downloaded Xprotect Essentials to try and I haven't even opened that program since I'm getting my butt kicked by the 4TB drive.  

Any way to get it to show up as a full 4TB drive?  I don't really need it split up

Sorry, Think I figured it out.  Had to watch a couple of Youtube videos.  Now to play with the camera software
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top