Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2010 9:12:27 AM EDT
Just picked one of these up today at the black friday sale. $699 is pretty tough to beat for a safe this size. $300 off regular price.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-3910204
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just picked one of these up today at the black friday sale. $699 is pretty tough to beat for a safe this size. $300 off regular price.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-3910204

I agree if your trying to only keep the guns away from YOUR kids!
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolt it down well and invest in a security system if you don't already have one. Whiles its a great start, definitely better than nothing, that box won't stop a crowbar or an axe, bonus points if you keep your large prying objects and cutting tools in it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ignore the haters.  I bought the same safe last Friday too.

There are better and worse safes out there but for the money this one will do what I expect it to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's about haters but about reality. If the safe meets his needs then he shouldn't be upset that others don't really consider it very secure. If he bought it thinking it offered a lot of protection then they're doing him a favor by opening his eyes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I am definately not a 'hater' I was just trying to point out that this is not a 'safe' but a RSC with less than adequate protection from the average crack head with a prybar, an RSC like this will slow someone down though and if bolted down, and paired with a decent security system should be enough to protect you from 99.9% of the attacks you could plausibly face.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It definitely would not survive a total loss housefire though. It would also have to be a wireless call out box on the alarm as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I have been away for a few days. Couple things here to touch upon some of the points made.
I have a VERY good security system. All points covered, and even have garage contacts so if the door
is opened, alarm is tripped. Motions on every floor in the rare event someone does get in, alarm is going off.
Secondly, the safe is bolted to the floor with 3/8 by 5 " anchors. It is not going anywhere. It is all about
"what fits " my individual needs. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, pretty good one actually, with a next door
neighbor who works from home. It is plenty roomy, currently 18 long guns, and multiple pistols in it. It is more
than suffice for what I need, it will keep people out. In combination with all the other factors, security, etc. I
feel pretty damn safe. You really cannot argue with the warranty, and I have on my homeowners policy all
of my firearms. As far as fire goes, there is a station 2 miles from my house. I weighed all of these factors with
what safe I decided to purchase, and it works well for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK, I have been away for a few days. Couple things here to touch upon some of the points made.
I have a VERY good security system. All points covered, and even have garage contacts so if the door
is opened, alarm is tripped. Motions on every floor in the rare event someone does get in, alarm is going off.
Secondly, the safe is bolted to the floor with 3/8 by 5 " anchors. It is not going anywhere. It is all about
"what fits " my individual needs. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, pretty good one actually, with a next door
neighbor who works from home. It is plenty roomy, currently 18 long guns, and multiple pistols in it. It is more
than suffice for what I need, it will keep people out. In combination with all the other factors, security, etc. I
feel pretty damn safe. You really cannot argue with the warranty, and I have on my homeowners policy all
of my firearms. As far as fire goes, there is a station 2 miles from my house. I weighed all of these factors with
what safe I decided to purchase, and it works well for me.

I think that sometimes people think we bash cheap safes on this forum, however the truth is that most people don't take into account that a 12g safe is about as secure as a filing cabinet with a padlock on it.
If I had a security system like you describe I wouldn't be against having a safe like that either, the next thing you need to add is a camera system with dvr in a secured location.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What about the fire rating of it? When homes burn down we never see safes under a 60 minute rating survive a fire. Firearms have to be on an individual writer for them to be fully covered on home owners insurance. Usually they are covered on peoples standard policies for about 20% of the value and a pay out up to $2,500.00 for all the guns together! Cannons dont have a good warranty, I would actually say in my opinion it is probably one of the worst warranties out there. There is disagreement over the sticker on the door that says pay nothing ever, and what the actual warranty documentation that comes with the safe says. Also, try reading up on them in the Michael Bane Blog.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
snip>Firearms have to be on an individual writer for them to be fully covered on home owners insurance. Usually they are covered on peoples standard policies for about 20% of the value and a pay out up to $2,500.00 for all the guns together! <snip

Homeowners insurance policies only have a limit on firearms for the peril of "theft".  There is no limit under the policy for fire or any other perils and most policies cover for full replacement cost (no depreciation).

I'm an insurance agent in Indiana, coverages may vary by state.  Read you policy and call your agent.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
bump.....

how do ya suggest bolting this safe down to the floor I have a post and beam with 3/4 plywood on top of what looks like a 1x12 plank.....  should I use lag bolts.  I was thinking about using bolts with some big washers and some nuts under the house
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
bump.....

how do ya suggest bolting this safe down to the floor I have a post and beam with 3/4 plywood on top of what looks like a 1x12 plank.....  should I use lag bolts.  I was thinking about using bolts with some big washers and some nuts under the house

I would go with the bolts and use  nylock nuts and make the washers out of 4"X4"X 1/4" plate to get more surface area and drill holes in the center
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bump.....

how do ya suggest bolting this safe down to the floor I have a post and beam with 3/4 plywood on top of what looks like a 1x12 plank..... should I use lag bolts. I was thinking about using bolts with some big washers and some nuts under the house

I would go with the bolts and use nylock nuts and make the washers out of 4"X4"X 1/4" plate to get more surface area and drill holes in the center

Thanks Big al didn't think about that. anyone ever beef one of these up around the lock pins? I thought I seen a post awhile

back where someone had the inside panel off and said that it needed some more angle iron and fully welded up?

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I weighed all of these factors with what safe I decided to purchase, and it works well for me.

I had to chuckle at this.  The purpose of a safe is to protect your gear from fire or a thief.  If there hasn't been a fire and no one has attempted to break into it and failed, how do you know it works well?

Got love the "ignore the haters" remark too.  I got the same thing when I told someone a Hi Point was a POS.  Truth can be a bitch sometimes and all the witty comebacks in the world won't make a gun that's POS into a good gun, or a weak safe into a strong one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top