Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 8
Author
Instructor
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:27:08 PM EST
Been working on plans and ideas for almost a year now, and today the majority of the work was finished. I've spent a lot of time browsing this forum, looking for info an ideas, but like anything you hear/read online, its best to do your own home work.

This is part of a new home build, so it was from the start a made from scratch job. The first thing I can suggest to anyone thinking of building a vault is to forget everything you read on line, and hire a real structural engineer to design it. Give the engineer the drawings of where you want it and let him tell you your options. This cost me $800, to have my vault engineered but he brought up points and ideas that the builder and the foundation guy wouldnt have.

Going off the drawings, knowing how much weight we're talking about with the reinforced 8' walls, the vault has its own reinforced footers.

After the footers were set the forms went together for the walls.

The next day the forms came down and I could see the walls.

The black stuff is the waterproofing, the yellow stuff is some moisture resistant stuff, and it will be top offed with 6' of stone back fill. Doing about everything we can to make sure it stays dry.

Once the walls set, it was time for the top.

8 more inches on the top.

It was amazing watching how fast those guys moved and smoothed it out. After it sets a day they'll be back for relief cuts.

The stainless steel they used for the deck looks pretty cool from inside. I also had them add a drain for the dehumidifier. Still thinking about what to do with the interior walls. They will be studded, insulated and covered, but not sure with what yet.

The floor gets poured next week, and the door will be installed the day the framing begins. The door is coming from Smith Security Safes (local guy), who makes some really cool vault doors.

I'm no good at telling people what they want to hear when I dont believe it myself :)
Drsalee
E pluribus unum
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:34:19 PM EST
Nice. BTW....this is actually a tag for future pics. And, i am looking forward to them.
Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

John Adams, 1814
bmw20
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:36:56 PM EST
Very nice. If you don't mind me asking, whats something like that set you back? (after the $800 for the engineer of course).
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:54:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/6/2009 3:54:57 PM EST by bigbore]
Originally Posted By bmw20:
Very nice. If you don't mind me asking, whats something like that set you back? (after the $800 for the engineer of course).

The yet to be installed door cost me $4K. Its a monster.
All the work is being done by friends/customers for basically material costs, so YMMV.
The extra footers, extra rebar, the extra beam to support the deck, and plumbing cost me less than the combined total for the 2 Franklin Safes I'm currently using. With the door, I'll be out of pocket almost $7K. I have buyers for my 2 Franklins, so I'll get most of that money back - compare the cost/sq foot of those safes to the 18'x11' vault and its a bargain

I'm no good at telling people what they want to hear when I dont believe it myself :)
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 4:01:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/6/2009 4:01:43 PM EST by bigbore]
Also - for those emailing me who think its stupid to post this here. I'm only posting/showing what is in plain sight for anyone around to see. Anyone who knows I own the local gun shop is going to know I have a "safe" - and I hope they see this as a deterrant. Anyone wanting to get into this is basically going to have to destroy the house to get the industrial equipment into the basement needed to go through the wall. There are also going to be a few more layers of electronic security that I'll keep private. So, no I dont think I'm risking anything showing this on the interweb.
possum5885
in a constant state of confusion
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 4:10:51 PM EST
the only thing that is stupid is people that think that anyone could get through 8 inches of concrete.

what psi is the concrete and what size rebar you use?

that is a serious vault.
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." HST

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

DTA

In God we trust.....................all others pay cash.
bmw20
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 4:34:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By bigbore:
Also - for those emailing me who think its stupid to post this here. I'm only posting/showing what is in plain sight for anyone around to see. Anyone who knows I own the local gun shop is going to know I have a "safe" - and I hope they see this as a deterrant. Anyone wanting to get into this is basically going to have to destroy the house to get the industrial equipment into the basement needed to go through the wall. There are also going to be a few more layers of electronic security that I'll keep private. So, no I dont think I'm risking anything showing this on the interweb.

I would say you got a helluva deal. I would have figured in the neighborhood of 25 or 30K, very nice.

Tag for future pics.
FredMan
Scallywag
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 4:57:16 PM EST
Mine's not quite nearly as fancy as yours but it's along the same lines:

If I was King of the World, things would be different.

And, then he says, well, I think we're at the wrong house!
SplatSTi
Kiwi in da USA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 5:00:36 PM EST
tagg
When my crosshairs find you, you go Splat!
SGocka
I'll have a coke then
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 5:10:47 PM EST
That's awesome. I hope to have one someday.
I'm hard to get along with, and you seem like a bitch.
THOLL223
What do I get for 10 dollars?
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2009 6:00:57 PM EST
very nice.

Never seen a foundation poured like that with the brick pattern. Pretty cool.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.” - Gen. GS Patton
Pie Fixes Everything
03FFL
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2009 4:17:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By possum5885:

4000psi class C concrete
#7 rebar in the walls/roof/pads
rescueswimmer
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2009 4:40:59 AM EST
Big bore,

Just building my house and working on finishing up my basement. I would recommend a good closed cell foam for all your below grade applications, It has the lowest PERM (moisture resistance rating) Its practically Vapor proof.

We did this for all our below grade walls and did open cell foam for the rest of the above grade home. I have to say I am very very pleased with my utility bills compared to all of my neighbors.

You can also get a kit to do your vault yourself.
Closed Cell
open cell

Hope this helps
NRA Life Member
DAV Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
possum5885
in a constant state of confusion
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2009 4:48:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By bigbore:
Originally Posted By possum5885:

4000psi class C concrete
#7 rebar in the walls/roof/pads

yeah no one is getting through that with out a backhoe with a jack hammer attachment
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." HST

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

DTA

In God we trust.....................all others pay cash.
oneshotkyle
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2009 12:46:30 PM EST
nice well thought out bunker/ safe.........
HitmanInc
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 3:01:57 AM EST
Electric?

Sure its been thought of but didnt see any stubbs or pass through.
truculenity
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 4:42:21 AM EST
whats with the big red beam?

is that to support the stainless till the concrete dries? Im not sure there was a reason to have that there. seems like you could have designed the concrete structures properly and avoided the use of that monster.
MP15T
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 5:13:49 AM EST
this is not a tag

vedubin01
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 5:44:29 AM EST
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 2:26:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/8/2009 2:28:23 PM EST by bigbore]
Originally Posted By truculenity:
whats with the big red beam?

is that to support the stainless till the concrete dries? Im not sure there was a reason to have that there. seems like you could have designed the concrete structures properly and avoided the use of that monster.

The engineer put the beam in the print, so its in the build. Its there for good. I didnt question/ask if there was another way without it, If its not necessary to hold up 19x12 slab of 8" concrete, I dont know a dman thing about construction. Its 6" above my head so I just look at it as over head shelving.
bsf
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2009 3:04:38 PM EST
Thanks for the post bigbore; very interesting thread. I have a few questions. The continuous rebar sections do not appear tied into the wall on at least one side as apparent in the photo, even though holes were drilled for them. Is that correct, or are they actually stuck in a lower set of holes? Maybe the first row was too high? By any chance could you provide a copy of the Basement Vault/Foundation Plan drawing with enough resolution to read the details? I have some questions, but that would probably answer all of them. Thanks.
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2009 5:17:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By bsf:
Thanks for the post bigbore; very interesting thread. I have a few questions. The continuous rebar sections do not appear tied into the wall on at least one side as apparent in the photo, even though holes were drilled for them. Is that correct, or are they actually stuck in a lower set of holes? Maybe the first row was too high? By any chance could you provide a copy of the Basement Vault/Foundation Plan drawing with enough resolution to read the details? I have some questions, but that would probably answer all of them. Thanks.

They made some rebar thing for the front the top to deal with something involving the door frame. It all came to together at the end. The hi-res plans are going to stay a secret
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:04:23 PM EST
The floor went in Monday, and the door today.

1600lbs of door.

it fit like a glove

CTbuilder1
R-CT
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:16:22 PM EST
Is there going to be power in there? You mentioned a dehumidifier so I would assume you need at least one outlet and some lights. Conduit from the panel to the safe under the slab perhaps?

Anyway to get out from the inside if the door was closed?
bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:21:34 PM EST
Power and plumbing are taken care of.

There is a handle on the inside too.
Bryan_Aim
www.aimsurplus.com
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:25:20 PM EST
tag
I am the Ammo Pimp
  Previous Page
Page:  / 8