Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 8:46:31 AM EDT
I'm kind of surprised I couldn't find this in a search, but what kind of carpet is typically in gun safes?

I've got a cheap stack on with the heavy gray and black carpet internally. I wanted to make some modifications to the inside, but it will involve recarpeting or finding additional carpet.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's felt not carpet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Any outdoor carpet would work fine. That will give you something with a heavier/tighter weave that won't get caught on the edges/corners, sights of your guns. You can probably use what ever you like though. Shag carpet would be pimp, add a disco ball and some cheesy disco music and your guns will be dancing all night long! I'd pay money to see that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Home Depot & Lowes usually sell outdoor carpet in 6' widths. They'll cut it to length for you, so you'll get 6 x whatever, then use a razor knife to trim to fit. It can be very inexpensive and they should have a few choices of styles and colors.
Also you could try a stereo/ car radio parts outlet as they should sell the heavy felt-like product that speaker box makers use. That's a good choice, too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't even think about speakerbox felt. That would be PERFECT! :D

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
How would you attach the carpet or felt? Is there a particular type of adhesive made for this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
you can get a spray adhesive from lowes...  don't use outdoor carpet!  go with the felt stuff....
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that automotive carpet is very similar (if not identical) to the stuff that you find lining safes.

My local WalMart sells a pretty large sized roll of this stuff for $10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top