Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked The Gun Room Picture Thread (Page 21 of 31)
Page / 31
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FortKnoxVaults:
Pardon the crappy iPotato pics in a dim basement.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77862

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77863

View from inside looking out.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77864

Room is 22x22 and needs a lot of work.  Once I get out from under other house projects and the yard the fun begins.
View Quote

How much does a door like that cost?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By somedudefromhouston:
Thanks Kmc for the pics. I spent way too much time trying to do that .T
That represents 40 years of collecting/trading/keeping.  you can get there if you want to
View Quote

I have been considering slat wall as well. Mainly to keep costs down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalHeater] [#4]
Originally Posted By Sooner67:

Thank you for the answers fellas.  I spoke with the builder, plumbing inspection is done and we are grading for concrete today.  He said it wasn't possible at this point to add a floor drain in that room but he could add a wall drain.

I told him no HVAC into that room too.

Is there any need for a passive air tube like a PVC pipe that will allow air in case you are in there for a tornado? I wouldn't want to run out of oxygen to breathe if the room is all sealed off.  My brother in law put one in his tornado room that
comes out then curves downward in the attic space above so water couldn't run in.  What are yalls thoughts?

The door is ready to ship, it's a Fort Knox I ordered from Ryan on here.  Just waiting on a foundation so they can deliver it.

I'll post pics as its going up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:
I am about to begin construction on our home and I am adding a 10'x12' (measurements on the plan, actual interior will be smaller due to thickness of cinderblocks) vault room.  It is above ground (no basement).  I will have my workbench and wall displayed guns via gallowtech.  My question is what are yall doing for ventilation/temp control into your room?

My concerns are humidity control and temperature for comfort when working.

The builder suggested tying into the HVAC system of the house with a vent and return vent.  I've been told there are fire dampers that close off a particular temps in case of fire.

Another option is a separate mini unit that has its own compressor outside and a wall mounted AC/heater in the room.

I've also been told due to the nature of the cinder block with concrete poured in it the temp will remain at a pretty constant temp and then I'd just have to use some sort of golden rod or dehumidifier I'm guessing.

I know many of yall have these rooms in a basement and moisture is of great concern.  What should I consider to maintain proper humidity and comfortable temp?

If your room is covered by a roof and insulated walls which I assume it will (as in, it's not standing in direct sun to concrete), then you shouldn't worry about temperature.

Your issue is going to be humidity, you can get a single room size dehumidifier, so a good idea is to put a drain somewhere in your room so that you can get a dehumidifier with a condensate pump... so you never have to empty it.

Build the room first, if you feel like you want it warmer/cooler, then get a mini  split system... but do not duct HVAC from your homes air handler.... regardless if you can get fire dampers.

Thank you for the answers fellas.  I spoke with the builder, plumbing inspection is done and we are grading for concrete today.  He said it wasn't possible at this point to add a floor drain in that room but he could add a wall drain.

I told him no HVAC into that room too.

Is there any need for a passive air tube like a PVC pipe that will allow air in case you are in there for a tornado? I wouldn't want to run out of oxygen to breathe if the room is all sealed off.  My brother in law put one in his tornado room that
comes out then curves downward in the attic space above so water couldn't run in.  What are yalls thoughts?

The door is ready to ship, it's a Fort Knox I ordered from Ryan on here.  Just waiting on a foundation so they can deliver it.

I'll post pics as its going up

One person in that room assuming it's a 8' ceiling should be able to survive 2.4 days with a sealed off room of that size.   Obviously a ton of factors plays into this including weight, size, etc etc.

How long does one camp out in a tornado shelter for?  If you are planning on having say 4 people sleep overnight in it then you'd need to put vents in.

You could always put a breather pipe in there like your BIL did but put an easy to remove endcap on it.  So when it's not needed you have yourself a air tight setup that would aide in fire... but when you are camping in it or need it, you can just twist off the cap.  Best of both worlds.   Hang an aircraft warning flag (remove before flight type tag) from it so you don't end up forgetting.... put an air monitor alarm in there too if you want to feel better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]

MSRP on doors starts at about $4250.  That particular door being the larger size, high gloss paint, inswing and with added AR500 liner retails for $8185

Of course working here has its advantages....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Biohawk1:

MSRP on doors starts at about $4250.  That particular door being the larger size, high gloss paint, inswing and with added AR500 liner retails for $8185

Is there some sort of payment plan for buying such an expensive item?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Biohawk1:

What is the story with the threaded 2/3rd gen Smith?

And the Ruger MKII threaded?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested in using a ft Knox door in my vault build on my houses new addition. Do the doors typically swing in? I'd be interested in the 40" putting it in a room about 6' deep and 16 ft long.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Doors are available in outswing or inswing depending on your preference.  The outswing doors are typically a bit less expensive than the inswing, though not significantly so.  Just depends on what fits your application.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Radi8r:
I'm interested in using a ft Knox door in my vault build on my houses new addition. Do the doors typically swing in? I'd be interested in the 40" putting it in a room about 6' deep and 16 ft long.
View Quote

The one person I know that actually has a gun/safe room opted for an inswing door. His reasoning was, although it is a gun room, it is also a hurricane room for he and his family in times of natural emergencies. His thought process was if the house came down around him, he would still be able to open the door from the inside, without a debris pile stopping the door... Of course, even with a door that opens inward, you may open the door and just see a large debris pile and still be stuck....
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Noted. I was talking to my father in law who is in emergency management and that was his thought as well. Looking like this room is going to have air purification and a landline phone as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally have the space just not sure where to start. Keep the ideas coming
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
You have a better gun wall than this guy....and that's saying something

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/trob500/burttremors2.jpg

I've never run out of ammo either. Then again, I've never fought off a hoard of Precambrian beasts
View Quote

You guys just made my night i was just thinking i want to have a gunroom like burt
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:40:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#14]
Found this while crawling the interwebs. Thought I should maybe bump this thread by sharing it here...
eta - west coast dealer's gun room...
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

The one person I know that actually has a gun/safe room opted for an inswing door. His reasoning was, although it is a gun room, it is also a hurricane room for he and his family in times of natural emergencies. His thought process was if the house came down around him, he would still be able to open the door from the inside, without a debris pile stopping the door... Of course, even with a door that opens inward, you may open the door and just see a large debris pile and still be stuck....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Radi8r:

This is the reason i chose an outward swing. If my entire house came down and blocked the door swinging out, then I have way bigger problems than the tornado that  just rolled through. The leads swing is what I chose and I would do it that way again.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
Found this while crawling the interwebs. Thought I should maybe bump this thread by sharing it here...
Dan Bilzerian's gun room?
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/17/6b/89/176b894c124a300491408f277753eebf.jpg
View Quote

Not Dans. Belongs to prominent dealer on the West coast.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

View All Quotes
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/17/6b/89/176b894c124a300491408f277753eebf.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't really sure.

It's certainly worthy of the "Gun Room" title though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EagleArmsHBAR] [#18]

View All Quotes

That's Battlefield Vegas in Las a vegas, NV. They rent MGs and those are probably post samples.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EagleArmsHBAR] [#19]
DT
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone ever use Security Barrier Mesh ?  Something similar to this product Security Mesh.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 175BFD:
Anyone ever use Security Barrier Mesh ?  Something similar to this product Security Mesh.
View Quote

It works.   Lots of businesses uses these.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I'd consider it if I was building, but it would look like shit. Would be worth it to incorporate it into the house design and drywall around it so it is invisible, save the door.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
You would definitely install the mesh barrier and drywall over it. We did work during a remodel for a big gun collector and he did his room this way. Came out nice
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I am throwing around the idea of installing this.  The room is unfinished so it may work out to install it before I drywall.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#25]

I am throwing around the idea of installing this.  The room is unfinished so it may work out to install it before I drywall.
View Quote

I'm thinking of doing this in a small "ammo and magazine room" that I will be finishing in my house.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By grimhollow:

I'm thinking of doing this in a small "ammo and magazine room" that I will be finishing in my house.
View All Quotes

There is a drywall product called Hi-Impact (among other brands) that is standard drywall with a lexan backing bonded to it. 2 layers of this product produce an impressive finished wall. I first saw it used in interview rooms for a police station build I managed. I wouldn't rely on it alone, but more of an additional layer to other systems. Or, for a room that might need a lower level of security like for ammo and accessories.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Equator:

There is a drywall product called Hi-Impact (among other brands) that is standard drywall with a lexan backing bonded to it. 2 layers of this product produce an impressive finished wall. I first saw it used in interview rooms for a police station build I managed. I wouldn't rely on it alone, but more of an additional layer to other systems. Or, for a room that might need a lower level of security like for ammo and accessories.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Equator:

Interesting.  I will look into it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone with experience using the security barrier mesh care to share on cost and where they purchased the product? I've got a basement room I'd like to reinforce, and I think this could be the ticket for the non brick walled areas. I'm wondering if this type of product isn't available more locally or if you have to work through a large dealer and order commercial quantities.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By david_the_greek:
Does anyone with experience using the security barrier mesh care to share on cost and where they purchased the product? I've got a basement room I'd like to reinforce, and I think this could be the ticket for the non brick walled areas. I'm wondering if this type of product isn't available more locally or if you have to work through a large dealer and order commercial quantities.
View Quote

Are you thinking an EMP shielding mesh?  I bought some for work to go in junction boxes over the glass door so that when the opperators keyed their radios it wouldnt screw with our equipment.  I think I bought 3 yards of stainless mesh for about $125.  That was about 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
I haven't used it, but I would call my local steel supplier and see how much they want per sheet of expanded metal before getting the "special" stuff.  

View Quote

About $45 for a 4x8 sheet when I bought some last year.  The thicker stuff...not that wimpy shit you see at Lowes/Home Depot
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Seems like chain link fencing could be attached to the studs and then drywalled
or cement boarded over it for less money
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys are high tech! I just used half inch OSB.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I've gotten a lot of ideas from this thread for my gun room. I'm currently finishing up with the oak lam I'm putting up on the walls and have a week or two worth of trim and paint left before I put in the ceiling. I went with slatwall for the display and carpeted them with grey indoor outdoor carpet. I'm staining the oak with red chestnut and trimming it all out with ebonized trim. I lucked out and got all of my cabinetry from a reclaim store and used some large solid core pocket doors to make countertops out of. In reality I'm probably looking at another few months before I get everything exactly as I want. I want to show it off but have reservations on posting pics due to security concerns even though I have a pretty good layered security system.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DM1975:
I've gotten a lot of ideas from this thread for my gun room. I'm currently finishing up with the oak lam I'm putting up on the walls and have a week or two worth of trim and paint left before I put in the ceiling. I went with slatwall for the display and carpeted them with grey indoor outdoor carpet. I'm staining the oak with red chestnut and trimming it all out with ebonized trim. I lucked out and got all of my cabinetry from a reclaim store and used some large solid core pocket doors to make countertops out of. In reality I'm probably looking at another few months before I get everything exactly as I want. I want to show it off but have reservations on posting pics due to security concerns even though I have a pretty good layered security system.
View Quote

With your Avatar... Is Gus part of your layered system?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRD8mTj5B5s
View All Quotes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRD8mTj5B5s

Yep, he shot many a sassy bandit with just his pistol too!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell, I guess it can't hurt none. Still not finished but here is a panoramic shot of it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Very nice
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks. It's small by it's mine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell, I guess it can't hurt none. Still not finished but here is a panoramic shot of it.

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/DM1975/media/The%20Study/D222F2B8-D696-4943-940A-827D36E863CD_zpszxmno3ys.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/The%20Study/D222F2B8-D696-4943-940A-827D36E863CD_zpszxmno3ys.jpg</a>
View Quote

Wait....hmmm...no...I don't see them....

Where's all U wonderful retros??
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

<a href="http://s24.photobucket.com/user/DM1975/media/The%20Study/D222F2B8-D696-4943-940A-827D36E863CD_zpszxmno3ys.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/The%20Study/D222F2B8-D696-4943-940A-827D36E863CD_zpszxmno3ys.jpg</a>

Only one I have left is the XM177E2 and its laying on the countertop on the right side under the SBR's. I have to build some new ones.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#42]
My sling storage. Don't mind the sag, I haven't screwed the boards in place yet.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Pistol display

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Oak lam going up.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#45]
You clearly have poor taste as to not using knotty pine...but please continue with your disaster

Seriously though your have a beautiful setup.  I am taking notes for our build.  Are you using a vault door or safe for the real valuable items?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FLchuck8:
You clearly have poor taste as to not using knotty pine...but please continue with your disaster

Seriously though your have a beautiful setup.  I am taking notes for our build.  Are you using a vault door or safe for the real valuable items?
View Quote

Those guns aren't valuable enough or something???

Thanks. For now I just have a regular interior door but I do plan on getting a vault door when I can. Between now and then I believe I may put my welding experience to work and make a good heavy steel door and reinforce the door jamb with steel as well. While I know it isn't full proof by any means I do have a monitored security system and security cameras on the house and some good watchful neighbors. Plus the dogs. And the house is rarely ever unoccupied.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Thanks. For now I just have a regular interior door but I do plan on getting a vault door when I can. Between now and then I believe I may put my welding experience to work and make a good heavy steel door and reinforce the door jamb with steel as well. While I know it isn't full proof by any means I do have a monitored security system and security cameras on the house and some good watchful neighbors. Plus the dogs. And the house is rarely ever unoccupied.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FLchuck8:

Did you buy those slatwalls pre carpeted?  If so where?  Thanks.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I did the carpeting myself. It's kind of a bitch till you get the hang of doing it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Nice job!  Simple and utilitarian.  If I had the space in my house I'd also build something like that.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

Nice job!  Simple and utilitarian.  If I had the space in my house I'd also build something like that.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rossi:

Thanks. I'm adding corner shelves between the slatwall as well. I'm also planning on adding a rack for my radios and scanners on the far left side. Plus the other wall that's out of the photo I haven't even started on yet but it'll be for my hunting rifles and gear storage.
Page / 31
Tacked The Gun Room Picture Thread (Page 21 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top