Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 6:10:11 AM EDT
Hey guys , when the MPX first appeared at the SHOT show several years ago it was touted as the replacement for the MP5 . "the mp5 is history"
it was said . With all the MPx's issues that we are reading about now ;do you still agree that the MPX is the KING of the Hill now or does it still have a lot to learn from the MP5.   Most of us were not around at the intro of the MP5; did it have this many teething problems?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never gone looking into it, but I've heard way more bad than good about the MPX.  Everyone always talks about "me too" AR-15s, the MPX strikes me as a "me too" MP5/9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's waaaay to early to make that comparison or assertion. The MP5 will always have legendary status. The MPX is a somewhat updated version filling a void in a niche market. Doubt Sig will ever produce or delivery as many MPXs as there was/are MP5s?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't consider it to have been a success. 9mm ARs and the Scorpion are the real MP5 successors in the subgun role. I've never even seen an MPX "in the wild."
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Sig hasn't even addressed the issue of charging handle flop. I put the MPX at the back of the bus, HK may be arrogant but whatever issues they had with the MP5
they addressed, only one comes to mind, mag going from straight to curved because of hollow points(I think).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]
My MP5 is fun as fuck too shoot.

The MPX is just meh!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I can see by the response most feel the same . I havent even shot mine yet . I have been waiting over a year for my form 4 .

Too many complaints about it. I havent seen a military or police force that adopted it yet. I hope im just not stating what everyone is thinking
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My MPX is a great shooter and I use it more than my SBRd AR 9mm.

Around 800-1000 rounds with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 MPXs.  What are the problems with them?  I'd prefer a side charger as the charging handle is kind of awkward, but other than that issue I like mine.  One is SBRed with a side folder and the other is a pistol with a brace.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Not only is the MPX a flop, it turned me off all SIG products due to their lousy and deceitful practices.  Laundry list of missing features (caliber conversions anyone) and other B.S. means my Gen1 is the last SIG product I'll buy.

Design had great promise, I'm sad it never developed as hoped, but such is life.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Gee cant wait to get mine  . waited a year almost for my SBR.   Got every possible accessory i can get for it. 4.5 in barrel,suppressor, 4 inc handguard,ZRTS stock,10 mags,everything that IN LEAD WE Trust makes, a PEAK case and a scope . Still never even saw the fucking thing . All i know is this thing better function perfectly.  Someone should show this thread to the FUCKHEADS at SIG.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
So far I'm pretty impressed with the MPX.  Sig's customer service isn't the best, and they will probably never make other caliber barrels, but the gun is fun to shoot.  The only real improvement to mine would be full auto.

I'm shooting mine with the factory 8" barrel unsuppressed, and with a ILWT 4.5" barrel and a Gemtec suppressed.  It runs great either way.  It's a sub gun, not a carbine.  They have different roles.  IMHO it's an improvement over the MP5.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not only is the MPX a flop, it turned me off all SIG products due to their lousy and deceitful practices.  Laundry list of missing features (caliber conversions anyone) and other B.S. means my Gen1 is the last SIG product I'll buy.

Design had great promise, I'm sad it never developed as hoped, but such is life.
View Quote
I actually bought one of the very first ones to appear on Gunbroker way back when.

It for sure was a disappointment to me.  The charging handle just feels cheap and not well though out otherwise its all ok.

Unfortunately when one part of a firearm feels cheap or unreliable I tend to resent the entire thing which is where I am at on the MPX.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the cz scorpion is a better option. At least you won't get gas blown in your face with the scorpion running suppressed. It's easy to bump fire, you can dump a 30 round in 2.5 seconds!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I think once the MPX gets some screen time it'll become more popular.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I had two MP5's and got rid of bothe when I got my MPX. Can't say I really miss them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe you were around for the intro of the MP5 ,I wasnt. But i dont think it had as many "issues" that the MPX does.
Dont get me wrong ,I want the Sig to succeed
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the cz scorpion is a better option. At least you won't get gas blown in your face with the scorpion running suppressed. It's easy to bump fire, you can dump a 30 round in 2.5 seconds!
View Quote
The scorpion sucks in F/A vs the MPX. So much more recoil and more difficult to control. (coming from shooting both as post samples)

Also there are concerns with the scorpion that it is not hearing safe with a suppressor at the shooters ear because of the blowback design.

Charging handle on the mpx is not an issue. It would be an issue if it didn't allow you to cycle the weapon as they intended.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Charging handle on the mpx is not an issue. It would be an issue if it didn't allow you to cycle the weapon as they intended.
View Quote
It *IS* an issue to me, as it was specified as ambidextrous and was not delivered that way.  Usable? Sure.  As promised? Hell no.

You might as well say "Caliber conversions on the MPX aren't an issue. They would be an issue if they didn't allow the weapon to fire a projectile."
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My MPX is amazing.  No issues suppressed.  A lot of people are chopping the barrels with can make things iffy.  My only complaint is the plastic dust cover. WTF SIG.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It *IS* an issue to me, as it was specified as ambidextrous and was not delivered that way.  Usable? Sure.  As promised? Hell no.

You might as well say "Caliber conversions on the MPX aren't an issue. They would be an issue if they didn't allow the weapon to fire a projectile."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give Sig a call...they gave me a ambi charging handle for my Gen 1 MPX....no cost.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a very early gen 1 and didn't know it was supposed to be ambi. I thought everybody is complaining about it leaving a mark on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't consider it to have been a success. 9mm ARs and the Scorpion are the real MP5 successors in the subgun role. I've never even seen an MPX "in the wild."
View Quote
Blowback snaps FCG pins like crazy. Not appropriate for LEO/Mil needs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using my 8" MPX SBR in Steel Challenge and USPSA matches for the last year.  So far it has been a fun and reliable gun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
What exactly is the charging handle issue?  I received my Gen 1 with a ambi charging handle which I have not had any problems with. Not a single person has shot my MPX and not been impressed so far.  Now I immediately put a custom trigger in it, so I can't speak on the stock trigger but overall this is one bad a$$ submachine gun.  I've shot it side by side with scorpion and sorry but you get what you pay for, I did enjoy the scorpion but is just wasn't as fluid in its shooting feel.  I do not have range time with an mp5 but people have shot my MPX who have also shot the mp5 liked the MPX better.   So...I am assuming most of this negativity is a result of customer service issues?  I will say Sig sucked it up and were pretty much untruthful about ammo conversions and availability of parts.  The gun is a lot of fun to shoot, and would be a deadly friend if you found yourself in a CQB situation.  I can't call a weapon that does that a flop.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I'd also like to know what problems you dudes that never owned one have been having

How many chuckle heads complain about gas to the face when shooting canned THAT NEVER SHOT IT.

I own both and in my opinion the MPX is an all around better system.

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My MPX is a great shooter and I use it more than my SBRd AR 9mm.

Around 800-1000 rounds with no issues.
View Quote
This, I have both as well and prefer the MPX hands down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Have two MPXs (one Gen 2 pistol w/collapsible brace and one Gen 1 SBR with a para stock) and love them. Also have two MP5 variants and love them. The MPX is more ergonomic and more easily modified. The MP5 suppresses better. The MPX is much cleaner to shoot. The MPX also accepts AR triggers including the Franklin Binary trigger which is stupid fast and reliable.

All things being equal, I love both and have no issues recommending either.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
MPX is just another Sig USA failure.  Top the mp5 lol.  Sig USA has turned into a retard farm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Have 2 MPX's couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#31]
The only thing keeping me from buying an MPX is the company who produced it. With their history of abandoning long gun designs and orphaning owners.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Sig's shady business practices aside...

I may be the oddball who actually likes my MPX more than my buddy's MP5s I've played with. As far as 9mm ARs, every single one I've ever seen in person seems to have wild failures after only a few rounds on full-auto, and semi has not been much better. Don't think I'll be building or buying one of them any time soon.

With the MPX, the simple fact I can quick change barrel lengths and handguards lends to adaptability. Aftermarket support has been outstanding, from shorter barrels with a 3-lug machined on, Lancer's carbon fiber handguards, to Radian's new MPX Raptor charging handle.

I wouldn't consider it a flop in any regards to functionality...if the system fails, it will be in no small part to Sig's operating procedures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my MPX.

I was even just playing with my MP5s today and thought, man they are so cool but I wish they had a bolt hold open, and easier selector switch, lighter, shorter, better grip, cheaper stock....
Sorry but the MPX wins hands down in my book. I literally have only shot one of my MP5s one time since owning an MPX. The MPX is just better all around and easier to clean.
Most of my shooting involves shooting jack rabbits at night. driving and then hitting the breaks, door open, safety off, shoot, safety on, back in the truck. This is WAY better with the MPX. The MPX is shorter, lighter, faster, and bolt hold open is great. The selector on the MPX is much easier to switch back into safe which is nice for hopping in and out of vehicles with a loaded weapon. The MPX also has a nice too rail for optics, lights, and lasers. Yes you can add rails to make the MP5 into an mpx but you still have iron sights in the optics view and mounting pressure switches don't work well with the charging handle up front on the mp5. The MP5 is hard to mount stuff do to the charging handle and no top rail. Plus, everything about it is cheaper so i don't feel bad replacing the stock. I gave Zenith a try, to try and have a cheap (cheaper) MP5 type gun to have fun with, but the MPX is just slick. The MPX really is an upgraded MP5. Its slick low drag accurate and has great controls. The only thing better about the MP5 is the mags. The MPX mags are way too big and annoying to carry. But mag changes are way faster in the MPX.

I think most people who prefer the MP5, don't actually own both, and they definitely don't USE both. MP5 has the cool factor and history, but thats it. If you actually were using these firearms in a stressful situation or even competition, the MPX wins for sure. After around 6,000 rounds through my MPX, its my go to bunny blasting gun. I love the MP5 but its not as good as the MPX in terms of usability. The MPX made me start using subguns again over 11.5 5.56 and 9" BLK.

In terms of replacing the MP5, yes its already happening. I know a few LE departments who have gone rifle actually are ordering some MPX, they wont touch the MP5. You won't see a lot of MPXs being used because most people are now rifle people, but London using the MCX is a nice tip of the hat to sig and the MPX really. 9mm rifles just aren't as desired as they used to be. 300blk and reliable short 556 have really taken over for the pistol caliber rifles.

Also, the Navy ordered a bunch of MPX subguns....so we'll see in the future what they think I guess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Give Sig a call...they gave me a ambi charging handle for my Gen 1 MPX....no cost.
View Quote
How long ago did you contact them and how long after buying your MPX?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a sbr mpx...couple thousand rounds through it with the Franklin armory binary trigger. No issues with the charging handle. It marks the upper, but is that a real issue? I could care less. No gas to the face issues even when shooting suppressed in binary. Never broken FCG pin. Honest question, has anyone seen actually this happen? Is this really happening as much as people say it is?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a sbr mpx...couple thousand rounds through it with the Franklin armory binary trigger. No issues with the charging handle. It marks the upper, but is that a real issue? I could care less. No gas to the face issues even when shooting suppressed in binary. Never broken FCG pin. Honest question, has anyone seen actually this happen? Is this really happening as much as people say it is?
View Quote
Yes, I have broken two pins. One with the franklin Binary and one with a Geissele.
I didn't actually catch it for a while, the gun kept running fine, i just noticed that the trigger would stick a little when i pulled it half way.
Take the safety off and press the trigger to the rear but not enough to fire, My trigger would stay there and I had to pull the trigger back toward the front. I ignored it for about another 200 rounds haha and then one day I was bored I decided to take the gun apart and found that the pin was broken clean in half. The MPX never failed, which was good, but yes the pins do break. It happened again with Geissele. I called Franklin armory and they said they are working on Pins that won't break but they can't seem to figure it out for now. Now I use the KNS pins and haven't had a problem yet. We'll see...

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent my Sig customer rep an email back on 9-22-2016 asking about purchasing the ambi CH and he shipped one out to me at no charge.  The Next Level Armament CH is much better than the Sig Ambi CH....if I had to pay, I'd get the NLA CH.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I've a few MP5s, an MPX, APC9, UZI, AR9,  etc.  I think the MPX-k is the sweetest shooting one of the bunch.  It lacks the complexity of the MP5, it is softer shooting than my AR9 SBR, it weighs less than my UZi, etc.  The only one I would say that is probably better is the APC9 but the MPX has less felt recoil.  I have the stock fire control group in mine with the telescoping stock.  The only mod I've done to date is add the new charging handle.  I've maybe a 1k rounds through mine thus far.  Mine is a Gen 2 that was chopped to a K on a Form 1.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I love MP5s, but one issue that's never brought up by the fanboys in this (and other) comparisons is that the MP5 bolt gap changes and rollers have to be replaced on high round count guns and eventually the barrel will no longer safely mate to the bolt requiring a total replacement. This replacement is complex and can be destructive. The MPX, from a maintenance standpoint, is very simple. Incidentally, Chris Batrocci has an excellent YouTube analysis of the MPx and is wer worth the watch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
What problems is the MPX having?

Sorry that I'm out of the loop. Please let me know.

I have 3000 rounds thru mine now. All good
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#41]
The police in Finland are using the MPX. There was a picture on the news and the cop was clearing holding an MPX.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I purchased a SIG MPX 9mm pistol and SBR'd it just prior to the July 2016 rule changes. It's been 100% reliable with approximately 1000 rounds fired and zero cleanings. I'm running it dirty as a reliability test. I do squirt lube in the action before every range outing.

I have no interest in a caliber conversion and paid $1200 out-the-door for the Gen 1 pistol, $175.00 for the SIG folding stock, $55.00 for the B5 stock and added a Silencerco .45 Octane suppressor. $400 for two tax stamps and everyone that has seen or fired it thinks it's great.

I purchased a bunch of Gen 1 magazines on sale and will own this firearm for as long as I live. I mounted an Aimpoint Pro with a low mount and added Trijicon micro BUIS with Tritium. If It's an impressive piece of machinery and I have it set up exactly the way I want it.

It handles very well and it's virtually identical in operation to an AR-15. There is no learning curve when switching firearms.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, I have broken two pins. One with the franklin Binary and one with a Geissele.
I didn't actually catch it for a while, the gun kept running fine, i just noticed that the trigger would stick a little when i pulled it half way.
Take the safety off and press the trigger to the rear but not enough to fire, My trigger would stay there and I had to pull the trigger back toward the front. I ignored it for about another 200 rounds haha and then one day I was bored I decided to take the gun apart and found that the pin was broken clean in half. The MPX never failed, which was good, but yes the pins do break. It happened again with Geissele. I called Franklin armory and they said they are working on Pins that won't break but they can't seem to figure it out for now. Now I use the KNS pins and haven't had a problem yet. We'll see...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4324/35459719604_3c450574c7_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4324/35459719604_3c450574c7_b.jpg
SIG's owner manual specifically warns against using aftermarket AR-15 triggers in the MPX. Giessele is working on a SIG MPX replacement trigger but it hasn't been released yet. The manual clearly states that aftermarket triggers will fail if used. Look at the OEM trigger and it's easy to see it's a HD unit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SIG's owner manual specifically warns against using aftermarket AR-15 triggers in the MPX.
View Quote
@borderpatrol I've never noticed this in either the Gen1 or Gen2 owner's manual - can you point out the page number and quote it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

SIG's owner manual specifically warns against using aftermarket AR-15 triggers in the MPX. Giessele is working on a SIG MPX replacement trigger but it hasn't been released yet. The manual clearly states that aftermarket triggers will fail if used. Look at the OEM trigger and it's easy to see it's a HD unit.
View Quote
Yeah I know I just don't care. I LOVE my MPX but its just a fun gun. I like how it keeps the manual of arms for my ARs/M16s.
I've been using the KNS pins now and its been fine. I'm back to a LaRue trigger now too. I only got a binary to check it out, and honestly I'm not really a fan. I prefer semi or full auto.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@borderpatrol I've never noticed this in either the Gen1 or Gen2 owner's manual - can you point out the page number and quote it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SIG's owner manual specifically warns against using aftermarket AR-15 triggers in the MPX.
I'm sorry, I went through the owners manual and was unable to find the warning. I read it off this site probably and attributed it the manual.

Lots of people are breaking aftermarket triggers and pins in MPX's. I think even Giessele's has warned against using their's in this platform. They are in the process of developing a MPX specific trigger right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, I went through the owners manual and was unable to find the warning. I read it off this site probably and attributed it the manual.

Lots of people are breaking aftermarket triggers and pins in MPX's. I think even Giessele's has warned against using their's in this platform. They are in the process of developing a MPX specific trigger right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries - I asked because SIG originally said (all quotes paraphrased and based on my aging memory) "Use any AR trigger!" then it became "Using any other trigger completely voids your warranty" and then it became "We won't warranty aftermarket triggers used in the MPX", so I wouldn't have been shocked to find them tap-dancing even more.

Geissele is also a bit disappointing as numerous folks (including me) were told verbally or in email that their triggers were fine in the MPX and would be warrantied.  I bought the SSA based explicitly on the phone recommendation of Geissele (as being the best option for that gun) and the assurance that (again quote paraphrased) "Even if it DOES break, we've got a lifetime warranty and we'll fix it".  Now I have not heard of anyone getting denied warranty by Geissele, and I have a lot of reason to think they would in fact honor it if pressed on the recommendation, *BUT* the fact remains they're now stating "No warranty if used in the MPX".

The whole platform is one giant shit show and it's cost SIG all my future business. Doesn't mean the MPX is non-functional or worthless technically, but the amount of derp coming from SIG has been astounding and I personally feel repeatedly lied-to and misled by SIG, and that's not a company I will support.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Interesting thread...............I am trying to determine if I need one. The local gun store has the 4 inch barreled MPX pistol with the collapsible SB tactical brace on it..............but its 1,800 bucks, and I know I can beat that price. I currently have the Zenith MP5 clone and a 9mm AR, but can always use another pistol.......are they worth investing in? Would I be disappointed or should I stand pat with what I have?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Interesting thread...............I am trying to determine if I need one. The local gun store has the 4 inch barreled MPX pistol with the collapsible SB tactical brace on it..............but its 1,800 bucks, and I know I can beat that price. I currently have the Zenith MP5 clone and a 9mm AR, but can always use another pistol.......are they worth investing in? Would I be disappointed or should I stand pat with what I have?
View Quote
You need one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top