Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 5:41:10 PM EDT
Sig 556 I believe a Classic. Great, hardly used condition. I got it from a mutual friend who was desperate for cash after a messy divorce. I got it for $400 but it lacks front and rear iron sights. I have a Samson front sight on the way and I mounted an extra Aimpoint Pro on it. I stripped it down and cleaned it. Was pretty clean as it stood and the bore is perfect. I am getting a Samson rear sight and a AGP folding stock in the future. Here are a few pictures:

My questions are:

Can I get a Swiss 556 hand guard to swap out the one I have?

Where can I get spare parts like springs and maybe a bolt if needed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Ben at: http://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/-551_c_31.html

He might have the handguards and he does have the bolts and some other small parts. Expect to pay..Swiss made stuff is not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The later Classic had the Swiss folding stock and a Swiss style handguard.  What you have is an early 556 with the M4 buffer tube style stock, and the heavy "fishgill" handguard.  Yes, you can swap out the handguard for a Swiss 551 handguard, but you can't put on the Swiss rear stock because the rear of the receiver is different from the Swiss guns or the 556 Classic.  The good things about the early 556s is that they had some Swiss internals.  The negative is that some has a QC issue where the top rails were canted.  Also, many people weren't fans of the fishgill handguard or the M4 style stock.  But for $400.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You got a SIG 556 ER.

Other than the sights I really would not do anything else to it - even at that price..  You might just get tired of looking for parts for it.
Only new replacement part that you can still get is the recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings.  Sig Sauer pretty much gave everyone a big F U with this series.

A 551 handguard will cost you $100 & it still wont look the part with that lower & stock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear what you guys are saying on the stock. The AGP folding stock is designed to replace the M4 stock tube and mimic the Original folder. AGP Arms.com.

Sucks about Sig dropping support on this rifle. I did read up on the QC of the rail but mine is dead nuts straight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I had 1 like it when they came out. The Swiss handguard will swap, the AR style lower and stock never looked the part and I sold it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Sig 551 handguard on my 556. It will not fit snug and you will have to put in a "shim" to prevent it from wobbling around. Instead, try this handguard set, it will fit nice and tight:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig556-handguard-set-swiss-type.html

Here are the rails for it:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/handguard-rail-kit-swiss-style-forend.html

The Swiss Sig 551 handguard doesn't have good options for mounting rails. So, that is a good alternative.

I didn't like the AR15 buttstock, so I put an Ace Side Folder on, in it's place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This or an ace could work.

http://agparms.com/agp-arms-sig556-folding-stock/
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This or an ace could work.

http://agparms.com/agp-arms-sig556-folding-stock/
View Quote
That is what I am getting!
Another question. The Samson front flip sight is the type that mounts to he gas block. As to a rear flip sight, can I use a standard height rear?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is what I am getting!
Another question. The Samson front flip sight is the type that mounts to he gas block. As to a rear flip sight, can I use a standard height rear?
View Quote
Yes. The front Samson sight will allow you to run standard m4 co-witness rear sights. I have a pair of Samson sights on my Sig 556, I liked the front enough to run the rear Samson flip up also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. The front Samson sight will allow you to run standard m4 co-witness rear sights. I have a pair of Samson sights on my Sig 556, I liked the front enough to fun the rear Samson flip up also.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#11]
A few thoughts on them:

I've got 3 of them:

An EARLY 556, which is one my oldest rifles. A lot of people complained about issues with the early ones, I have had zero issues. I love shooting it...

A Patrol (full disclosure, that one actually belongs to my girlfriend, lol).

And a 556R Gen2.

I put a Samson rail on my original 556 years ago, and just hung onto the "shark gill" hand guard. I have since installed it on the 556R.

I say give the "shark" a chance before you get rid of it. I know it is ugly as sin, but it is a very sturdy and comfortable piece of furniture. I picked up an original SIG 551 HG for the 556R, and it doesn't feel anywhere as nice as the "shark". I also like the "shark" better than the "Swiss style", American-made hand guards that SIG made.

Here is the 556R when I had the Swiss HGs on it...

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice Sigs.

I just got the Samson front sight in and the rear should be here by Friday. I also purchased two Blueforce Gear "U" loop sling attachments and a MS1 sling for my Sig. Next will be what stock to change out to. UBR is too pricey but the AGP folder is looking like the one to get. I am looking at a set of handgards a member has and waiting on his asking price. I figure I would try them out. The Shark gill set is growing on me but options are nice to have. I may change the muzzle device as well. A2 style is boring.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where I can get a Swiss style folding stock?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unfortunately, they are hard to find these days.

Sometimes Gatewood Supply has them (doesn't seem to now).

Your best bet is going to be checking the EE or gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, they are hard to find these days.

Sometimes Gatewood Supply has them (doesn't seem to now).

Your best bet is going to be checking the EE or gunbroker.
View Quote
If you do eBay they pop up on a fairly regular basis as well, but you have to keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
JDI imports SAN Arms parts from Switzerland...  Prepare to pay big $$$.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with a Magpul ACS stock and mil spec tube. I had them in my parts bin so I saved money there. Going to get the Swiss handgards soon. Blueforce Gear U loop sling attachments are on the way as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Where can I get a charging handle? Mine appears to be an aftermarket. Slightly angled downward and some kind of rubberized plasti dip stuff on it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where can I get a charging handle? Mine appears to be an aftermarket. Slightly angled downward and some kind of rubberized plasti dip stuff on it.
View Quote
This isn't a direct answer to your question... but it may be helpful:

The early SIG 556's (2006-2010 ish) came with a handle that was angled upwards. The handle had a rubber cover. It was great if running a small optic or irons... it would bite your knuckles if you were running something like an EoTech.

After 2010-ish they came with a handle that was mostly straight, it was still rubber covered.

Not my pic, but this shows the difference:

Griffon Industries made an aftermarket handle that was angled down, but was not covered. It is discontinued, but a few places still have some in stock:

It is possible your gun has one of those and it was, indeed, plasti-dipped.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
It looks exactly like the Griffin only with that cheap glossy plasti dip on it. The ones you show first have a much nicer rubber coating. The serrations on the Griffin picture match mine to the T. I need to get that dip stuff off it. Looks cheesy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It looks exactly like the Griffin only with that cheap glossy plasti dip on it. The ones you show first have a much nicer rubber coating. The serrations on the Griffin picture match mine to the T. I need to get that dip stuff off it. Looks cheesy.
View Quote
If it is a Griffin, I'm sure you could find someone on the EE willing to trade a factory handle with you.

But If I were you, I'd strip the plasti-dip and keep it for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If it is a Griffin, I'm sure you could find someone on the EE willing to trade a factory handle with you.

But If I were you, I'd strip the plasti-dip and keep it for yourself.
View Quote
I was able to remove that God awful plasti dip off of it. Looks much better now. Keeping it as suggested.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Latest pics with all the goodies attached

Next to my trusty Colt Patrol Rifle

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]
^I approve of the above message.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I would really like to find the Swiss handguard for my 556P SBR but it seems like I have better chance of getting struck by lightning lol

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sig Sauer pretty much gave everyone a big F U with this series.
View Quote
And the xi. Wonder how it will take for the MCX to fade away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Great gun but I find its way heavier than I want/need so mine is leaving me soon
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great gun but I find its way heavier than I want/need so mine is leaving me soon
View Quote
I don't mind the extra weight really. Seems solid in the hands.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
JDI Firearms has them for the 551 but they come individually and not as a set.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Way too much $$$ and not available. NOPE, but thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Update

I got a near new set of Swiss hand guards from a member here. Now considering putting some nice glass on my 556 for some long range shooting. I'm torn between that and actually selling it to finance a AR10 build.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]
If anyone else is looking for a regular "swiss-style"  handguard, there's one on eBay right now for $60.

And no, it's not mine.  This is just a PSA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would really like to find the Swiss handguard for my 556P SBR but it seems like I have better chance of getting struck by lightning lol

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/29C03802-3620-4EAF-BFDF-E97BC26D634C_zpsohmsgajf.jpg~original
View Quote
You mean like DIS ONE?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/29C03802-3620-4EAF-BFDF-E97BC26D634C_zpsohmsgajf.jpg~original
You mean like DIS ONE?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223482/IMG-20161112-105522-236568.JPG
You clearly know how to party.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You clearly know how to party.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#36]

That was good!

I have decided to keep it and put some nice glass on it. LaRue 104 mount as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top