Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 11:53:58 PM EDT
I was wondering what range you could stretch a MPX Carbine (chambered in 9mm) out and still get hits on a man sized target? Also, due to the superfluous barrel, are we looking at a degradation of kinetic energy? Thanks all
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]
At 100 yards 9mm is going to drop around a foot out of a pistol. I don't think the carbine is going to extend the range too far.

I'd say 100 is about as far as I'd want to go. You could stretch it to maybe 150 to 160 but I don't think much farther than that. The drop would be pretty bad. I want to say at around that range the drop would be an entire torso but someone else will have to chime in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Tried out new 4.5 in barrel yesterday with fac open sights.  Sighted in at 25 yards, same basic (just tad high0 sight picture at 100.  Height of sights above bore and trajectory make cross over points in the rainbow.  Didn't try 50 yards, would expect it to be higher poi.  Was using 147 grain subsonic hand loads.

9mm/45 acp carbines do not pick up much velocity as the 357/44/45 lc levers do.  An increase or decrease in velocity may relate to the load being tried, bullet weight and powder.

After acclimation, hits from rest on 6 in steel plate @ 100 yards was not that difficult.    Energy drops off fairly quickly, but there are on line ballistic programs to use.  Would imagine a 124 grain plus p with one of the slower powders may pick up some velocity (maybe 100 - 200 fps ?) from the carbine barrel.  Do recall the actual rifled portion of the mpx carbine barrel is shorter than 16 in?

Remember seeing someone actually plot the trajectory's from mpx in relation to question on what distance to sight in to.  Just can't remember where.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586040
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not too hard to get hits out to 100yds, but there's a lot of energy loss and the effectiveness of 9mm at that range is questionable at best. If you're shooting at stuff past 50yds you should be using a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I've hit steel at 300 with mine. 
It sure sounds different then hitting the same target with a .223

not sure how much energy it has left out there but you could hear it hit.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as velocity is concerned it all comes down to what powder you use. With fast powder like red dot which I use with 115gr I don't see any appreciable increase in velocity with the 8" over a 4" pistol barrel. Bit with a slower powder like unique some hot +p load I can get nearly 1400 fps out of a 124gr bullet where a 4" pistol gets about 1250.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
A few months ago I took my MPX 8 inch barrel and a 30 round mag to my buddies 200 yard bench.  9mm definitely has significant drop but not large enough that you can't figure out consistent compensation.  That being said I had 6 out of 30 hits on a medium torso target.  A full size man target would have had more hits, but effective means in center mass to me.  I was using high quality reman 115 grain which is consistent and effective at 25 and 50 yards, but I could tell the rounds were not nearly as consistent at the 200 yard range.  Some would drop 15 to 20 feet short.  So to sum it up you can hit targets at 200 yards with the MPX,  in combat I would say at that range it could provide limited suppressive fire (in a real pinch).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used my SBR EVO and factory 124 grain FMJs at 200 yards with limited success.

I'd say once I was on target, maybe 50% hit rate on a 12 or 14" gong from a bench with a MRDS.

150 yards would be a bit more reasonable but if push came to shove I'd have no qualms about trying to suppress a target at a bit further out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot 100 yards, and is well within *MOT. Minute Of Torso.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top