Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 9:25:28 PM EDT
Hate to even post this but I have soaked the muzzle end in water and wrapped barrel in a vice but cannot get the flash hider to even budge. Im am going clockwise. Have the wrench on the end and keep hitting it was a hammer in hope it pops loose but nothing so far.

Should I let it soak tonight in water or dry it out and use a butane torch to heat the flash hider tomorrow?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hate to even post this but I have soaked the muzzle end in water and wrapped barrel in a vice but cannot get the flash hider to even budge. Im am going clockwise. Have the wrench on the end and keep hitting it was a hammer in hope it pops loose but nothing so far.

Should I let it soak tonight in water or dry it out and use a butane torch to heat the flash hider tomorrow?

Thanks
View Quote

Do you have the mpx carbine?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have the mpx carbine?
View Quote

Nope the 8" version. I know the carbines are pin/welded.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that's what I was gonna say. Try soaking in kroil oil if you have it
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine came off easy.  My friend's could not get his off.  I used a lighter for about a minutes to heat it up and his came off without a problem
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My 8" came off without a problem. no soaking or spraying needed. Just remember it's threaded in a Metric Left hand thread... M13.5x1LH
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 8" came off without a problem. no soaking or spraying needed. Just remember it's threaded in a Metric Left hand thread... M13.5x1LH
View Quote

Yep trying to turn it clockwise to loosen it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I put mine in my heated ultrasonic cleaner and it came right off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine came off easy.  My friend's could not get his off.  I used a lighter for about a minutes to heat it up and his came off without a problem
View Quote

Just did the lighter thing too. Came off easy as pie.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes me scratch my head about mine. Tried the open flame just on the flash hider and soaking it. All while trying to loosen it turning clockwise. The water soaking resulted in surface rust on the flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would you soak your flash hider in water?  Water does nothing to loosen stuck metal parts and only makes it worse by risking rust.

WD40, penetrating oil, and heat are the best options.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why would you soak your flash hider in water?  Water does nothing to loosen stuck metal parts and only makes it worse by risking rust.

WD40, penetrating oil, and heat are the best options.
View Quote

Was told MPX flash hiders are rockset on. Which is water soluble. So soaked that area of the barrel. Pretty common thing to do when something has been rockset on. Obviously didn't work in my instance. Barrel had only 100 rounds through it. Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I rockset on my three lug adapter and then 2 months later decided I wanted to take it off and have a shoulder milled onto the barrel. It's a quick job with a lathe however I need the adapter removed. Soaked it for an hour and it came off pretty easily.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I rockset on my three lug adapter and then 2 months later decided I wanted to take it off and have a shoulder milled onto the barrel. It's a quick job with a lathe however I need the adapter removed. Soaked it for an hour and it came off pretty easily.
View Quote

What did you soak it in? I tried removing a muzzle device that was rockset on. I soaked that sucker for 24hrs in water. No luck. Decided just to leave it on. Water didn't work on my MPX either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top