Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2016 12:33:52 PM EDT
don't see it on Sig's new website.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I noticed that also.  wonder what the deal is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You should pick up a MCX or MPX as I am sure they will stick with that one...  Kidding, don't pick up one of those if you like continued support or the availability of parts.

I hope you got at least a parts kit for it.  Those flat wire recoil springs they later started using are fragile.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#3]
ha, after getting screwed by Sig on the 556 series, unlikely I will ever buy another long gun from them again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Sigs popularity in the long gun market is dwindling, but they did it to themselves.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The closest they ever came to success was the Sig 551A1. What's so difficult about making a decent 551 clone?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It's expensive to make a good 551. They didn't want to pay to produce the same quality as the Swiss standard. They paid much less, and sold them for a little less than the Swiss guns.

Had they made them the same, they'd have wanted to charge so much that sales would be low. They are all about a massive profit margin, and very little else. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
There could be a gen 2 in the works or a rebranding. They have been running hard on the MCX/MPX market that they could be cutting products to reduce costs and inventory.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ha, after getting screwed by Sig on the 556 series, unlikely I will ever buy another long gun from them again.
View Quote

Agreed. They dropped thousands of people like yesterday's garbage. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, screw those bastards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, Like the usual Sig. I got screwed on several Sig rifles. 556 SWAT, 551A1, 556XI and now having to send back both my MCX rifles. No more Sig rifles for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I called sig 2 months ago and ask about barrels for this gun and they said that they are not making anymore parts or guns for the 556xi , they are solely concentrating on the mcx platform which has replaced the 556xi platform , also the mpx as well from what the rep said. I had a 556xi and sold it 2 days later after that phone call.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#11]
in case  you had not noticed, MCX is recalled and a major engineering change is happening.  I got rid of mine and will never buy a Sig long gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The closest they ever came to success was the Sig 551A1. What's so difficult about making a decent 551 clone?
View Quote

Seems like cost was the big thing. You'd think with the alloy lower cost would be lower, but I guess it was not. While not a true 551 I think the 551A1 would have sold decently enough at $1,500. As for the XI, I think there is little interest in it. It lacks the nostalgia of the 550 series and the MCX is clearly what they are marketing to LE/military and having some success with. I can see why they want to drop the XI. Although importing 551/3s would be nice for the collectors. Maybe a restart of the 551A1 wouldn't be too bad, but there is little point of the XI with the MCX. I believe the MCX will be improved upon a good bit in the next few years and end up being fairly successful for LE/military.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Cost is/was reduced from using an aluminum alloy lower. Swiss Arms (SAN) uses an aluminum alloy lower also (although not the same one).

The problem with SIG Sauer USA is that their plan was always to produce cheap imitations of the Swiss rifles at the lowest possible cost, then sell them for slightly less than the Swiss rifles. This gave them massive profit margin, but they weren't too concerned with quality.

Re-designing things, and coming up with a whole new piston AR in the MCX, has allowed them to continue using low-quality (inexpensive for them) materials while suffering fewer parts failures (at least until the current MCX debacle anyway). 

The original SIG SAN designs, just like original dimension AR-15 bolts, are not tolerant of anything less than high-quality materials. When you get to make things larger (or with less stress load), then they don't have to be as strong. That's an engineering fundamental.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
in case  you had not noticed, MCX is recalled and a major engineering change is happening.  I got rid of mine and will never buy a Sig long gun.
View Quote

I hate to hear about the issues with SIG long guns.............I was considering an MPX, as I like the look and feel of it, but the more I read about stuff like this it pushes me toward an MP-5 clone or a CZ Scorpion
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Zenith MP5 and love it. No issues at all and runs like a Swiss watch. I just could not bring myself to by the MPX right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
..... original SIG SAN designs, just like original dimension AR-15 bolts, are not tolerant of anything less than high-quality materials. ....
View Quote

Don't think I agree with this, the 55X rotating bolt is straight up AK.  The receiver rails the carrier rides on are thicker than an AK's.
In the spring over gas piston design, maybe, because of the heat, but that's it.

If your point is trying to say how cheap SIG-USA went, that is pretty obvious when you compare the gas piston assemblies from US to Swiss.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
don't see it on Sig's new website.
View Quote

Might as well be.  They never supported it with the caliber conversions or much else.  About the only thing anyone had a chance of getting was the alternate handguard; everything else was never in stock.  I assume they just gave up on the 55x platform to move on to the next big things (at the time), the MPX and MCX, which they don't seem to supporting much better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow. Glad I sold the 556R I had a few years ago. Should have known the gun to replace it would get dropped too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You should pick up a MCX or MPX as I am sure they will stick with that one...  Kidding, don't pick up one of those if you like continued support or the availability of parts.
View Quote
Wrong.

Sig will give you a whole new carrier group when they have recall the original.

Can't beat that for support or availability of parts! 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#20]
so glad I sold my xi unfired and got a stamp refund, after 18 months...  lol, its true.  I was waiting for barrels that never materialized and as long you never SBR your rifle, you can get the stamp refunded.

the xi had better design refinements than the first runs of 556 rifles, but then used inferior materials and machining.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I paid the Gods enough by buying a STG E4, because my 551-A1 has been great. No complaints other its weight and cost of magazines. Luckily I bought a bunch with the discount code SIG sent me after I registered the rifle., that saved a chunk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
My 551A1 has been great too. The good part about it is you can get all kinds of Swiss made parts for it. I've got a spare bolt and trigger group for it. You don't have to depend on Sig for parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow. Glad I sold the 556R I had a few years ago. Should have known the gun to replace it would get dropped too.
View Quote

+1.

Sig appears to be a joke.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
If your looking for one, there are a few CPO's on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Sig 556xiR. That is, after I paid my gunsmith to make it work - something a trip or two back to Sig couldn't accomplish!

I hope nothing breaks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
My good friend and local dealer is now dropping Sig rifles for the future. He is stuck with 4 Sig 556XI rifles he cant sell and the distributor will not take them back nor will Sig. He has one on the wall and people look at it and say "aren't those discontinued? Because of the Sig MCX issues and recall he already had to return 12 MCX rifles he had in stock to Sig. Sig makes great pistols but their reputation for long guns is nothing but bad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My good friend and local dealer is now dropping Sig rifles for the future. He is stuck with 4 Sig 556XI rifles he cant sell and the distributor will not take them back nor will Sig. He has one on the wall and people look at it and say "aren't those discontinued? Because of the Sig MCX issues and recall he already had to return 12 MCX rifles he had in stock to Sig. Sig makes great pistols but their reputation for long guns is nothing but bad.
View Quote

Why doesn't he throw them on GB?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cost is/was reduced from using an aluminum alloy lower. Swiss Arms (SAN) uses an aluminum alloy lower also (although not the same one).
View Quote

I also found that odd. I suppose SAN was not happy with the SIG USA alloy lower. My understanding is that the SAN rifles are at the end of their production life and they may go under soon. I suppose B&T will pick up where they left off and their new rifle will be the next Swiss service rifle. If I recall, the Swiss government is not buying the 550 anymore. Always a chance someone like DSA will pick up the design and sell it stateside I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my 556xi Russian. Although expensive I'm glad it's been a habit of mine to buy enough spare wear parts for all guns I own to conceivably keep them running for life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top