Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2016 12:24:09 PM EDT
I posted a similar topic in GD, but I figured posting here would be appropriate.

Other than B&T, who seem to be moving away from the SG55x market, there don't seem to be any other companies making accessories.

If you owned (or own or have owned) an SG55x, what would you upgrade?

Personally, I'd like: an extended (ambi) magazine release, more furniture options (stocks and pistol grips), a different trigger, aftermarket 20 and 30 round magazines which don't cost an arm and a leg, more rail options (optics and handguard), a replacement aluminum upper receiver (pie in the sky).
An extended bolt release like Magpul's BAD? I really don't like the placement of the charging handle, I'd prefer it on the left.

ETA: link to topic in GD

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1927178_SAN_SIG__SG550_SG551_SG553___what_would_you_upgrade_.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like what you actually want is a Galil ACE
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Personally, I'd like: an extended (ambi) magazine release, more furniture options (stocks and pistol grips), a different trigger, aftermarket 20 and 30 round magazines which don't cost an arm and a leg, more rail options (optics and handguard), a replacement aluminum upper receiver (pie in the sky).
An extended bolt release like Magpul's BAD? I really don't like the placement of the charging handle, I'd prefer it on the left.
View Quote

A lot of that has been covered already but here in America so many people were trying to make their 556s into 55x clones that they did not sell too well

If you switch to AR mags there are quite a few lowers you can use.  The original 556 AR receiver extension lower.  The 556 Classic lower, the newer ambi 556 classic lower & the ambi 556XI lower.
All of those cover cheaper magazine alternatives.  Some have a ambi mag release.

There is the Swiss AR folding stock adapter, the DDLES AR folding stock adapter & the 556XI AR folding stock adapter.  All of these pretty much cover whatever stock options that are available.

For grips you had Manticore Arms & their excellent but now mostly gone Scorpion grip, Hogue has smooth & grooved rubber options available.  And there is the $$$ wood Nill Griffe grips.

Shooting Sight produces a sear & hammer set for upgraded performance.

Handguard rail sets were made by Sig Sauer, Troy, Samson & Kley-Zion.  But all depends on what length you are looking for.

The only way you can get a left side charging handle is with the ambi 556XI upper.

But I am guessing a lot of these options might not be available in Canada.

But personally I would prefer a 552 or 553 & leave it as is.  The 553s that were just imported here had aluminum lowers.  Still want one but after owning two cheaper 556s cant justify the much higher price cost for the real thing plus the extra grand for a steel lower because to me it just does not look right without the dimple.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But personally I would prefer a 552 or 553 & leave it as is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But personally I would prefer a 552 or 553 & leave it as is.

+1
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my SAN 551 but I doubt there is much of a market for many accessories in the US for it. The number of guns and their cost mean that they just are not wide spread enough to produce accessories for them.

Having said that, I would like a T-1 scope rail the co-witnesses with the iron sights, or at least the bottom 1/3. I have designed a rail to use a T-1 to do it but I have not been able to get any manufacturers interested in it. I might have a few machined for my self and to off set the cost by selling a few.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I love my SAN 551 but I doubt there is much of a market for many accessories in the US for it. The number of guns and their cost mean that they just are not wide spread enough to produce accessories for them.

Having said that, I would like a T-1 scope rail the co-witnesses with the iron sights, or at least the bottom 1/3. I have designed a rail to use a T-1 to do it but I have not been able to get any manufacturers interested in it. I might have a few machined for my self and to off set the cost by selling a few.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Sig551-right.jpg
View Quote

You can count me in on that. And a buddy would also buy 1-2. I think a lower 1/3 would be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd want one also, if it would work with a Trijicon MRO. I love my SAN 551 as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi everyone!

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think they're Prohibited up here.

Quoted:

For grips you had Manticore Arms & their excellent but now mostly gone Scorpion grip, Hogue has smooth & grooved rubber options available.  And there is the $$$ wood Nill Griffe grips.  

Shooting Sight produces a sear & hammer set for upgraded performance.

Handguard rail sets were made by Sig Sauer, Troy, Samson & Kley-Zion.  But all depends on what length you are looking for.

The only way you can get a left side charging handle is with the ambi 556XI upper.

But I am guessing a lot of these options might not be available in Canada.

But personally I would prefer a 552 or 553 & leave it as is.  The 553s that were just imported here had aluminum lowers.  Still want one but after owning two cheaper 556s cant justify the much higher price cost for the real thing plus the extra grand for a steel lower because to me it just does not look right without the dimple.
http://www.swissarms.ch/img/waffen/gross/SG_553_Assault_Rifle.png

Manticore Arms doesn't seem to sell those grips anymore, I couldn't find them on their site.

Is that sear and hammer set compatible with Swiss Arms' rifles?

I couldn't find any SIG handguards on Troy's site. Samson's handguards appear to be incompatible with Swiss Arms' rifles. SIG Sauer sells handguards for the SG550/551/553?

Quoted:

What scope rail are you using? Is it B&T's 16mm or 10mm?
Last time I checked their website, I wasn't able to find any SG55x accessories listed...have they stopped supporting the 'platform'?

Stupid question: Why not use a spacer on the T-1's mount?

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Last time I checked their website, I wasn't able to find any SG55x accessories listed...have they stopped supporting the 'platform'?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a B&T rail but this one is unknown maker as it came with the rifle. The B&T seems to be the same dimensions though.

I want the optic low like the sights and I do not want to have to use a check rest on the the stock as when the optic is raised up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
How much are the 553p pistols going for now?

ETA: $3680 as of 2/1/17
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a B&T rail but this one is unknown maker as it came with the rifle. The B&T seems to be the same dimensions though.
I want the optic low like the sights and I do not want to have to use a check rest on the the stock as when the optic is raised up.

View Quote

Stupid question #2: Are you getting a co-witness with your current mount? *

Stupid question #3: Would a 1/3-lower co-witness require a rail lower than what you're currently using? *

*I've yet to use optics on a SAN rifle, hence my questions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may be a SAN mount. Is it the type with a flathead screw to lock the mount to the rifle (instead of the B&T hex head bolt)?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Stupid question #3: Would a 1/3-lower co-witness require a rail lower than what you're currently using? *

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the iron sights are completely unusable with the optic mounted.

Yes, hence my, and seeming a few others here, desire for a mount to lower the T-1 a bit lower on the gun so you can use the irons thru the optic.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It may be a SAN mount. Is it the type with a flathead screw to lock the mount to the rifle (instead of the B&T hex head bolt)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a set screw that requires an allen wrench.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
On Gunfactory.ch , if you scroll down to their page: "ZF Montageschienen für SIG - Sturmgewehre" it will pull up the Sig 55X mounts. The third one down looks like it might be a super low mount. Sorry, the site wouldn't let me copy the direct link to the mounts.

https://www.gunfactory.ch/index.htm

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

On Gunfactory.ch , if you scroll down to their page: "ZF Montageschienen für SIG - Sturmgewehre" it will pull up the Sig 55X mounts. The third one down looks like it might be a super low mount. Sorry, the site wouldn't let me copy the direct link to the mounts.

View Quote
Yeah, you are talking about this one and if the Goggle translate is close it seems that they co-witness with a T-1 but the problem is they are never in stock and have no idea when they ill be in stock.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the SAN mounts and rails were B&T...am I mistaken?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you are talking about this one and if the Goggle translate is close it seems that they co-witness with a T-1 but the problem is they are never in stock and have no idea when they ill be in stock.

https://www.gunfactory.ch/langwafparts/sig90_mountsteel.jpg

"In Verbindung mit der Aimpoint-Serie Comp M/M2 kann durch das Zielgerät visiert werden.
Der Zielpunkt stimmt genau mit dem Korn. Die Montage ist aus Vollstahl gefräst und teniferiert."

I'll give it a try, I'm not a translator but I speak Deutsch.
My translation: An absolute cowitness is possible with an Aimpoint CompM or M2. The mount is milled out of steel and tenifer-coated.

I'm not sure how to translate "Vollstahl", I'll have to ask my Dad.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the SAN mounts and rails were B&T...am I mistaken?

"In Verbindung mit der Aimpoint-Serie Comp M/M2 kann durch das Zielgerät visiert werden.
Der Zielpunkt stimmt genau mit dem Korn. Die Montage ist aus Vollstahl gefräst und teniferiert."

My translation: An absolute cowitness is possible with an Aimpoint CompM or M2. The mount is milled out of steel and tenifer-coated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.gunfactory.ch/langwafparts/sig90_mountsteel.jpg

It means "full steel"  I guess Americans would say all steel? I am Alsatian/Swiss so what the Hell would I know
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It means "full steel"  I guess Americans would say all steel? I am Alsatian/Swiss so what the Hell would I know
View Quote

I asked, he didn't know either. His guess was also full/all steel.

Billet, perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
"Vollstahl" simply means: made completely from steel, no metal alloy.

I own a 551 type rifle and have used it extensively in the past years.
It is not exactly a SAN SIG, but made by Sig Sauer (German division). Except for some minor parts all components were made by SAN SIG.

Some differences in the SIG Sauer model that are hard to comprehend with:
1:10 twist. Wicked sh!t
Bull barrel for an already front heavy system
No muzzle threads in combination with a non removable barrel (well, almost) = after market muzzle threads for 300 and + $
Ships with a tiny folding rear sight (flips down into the welded picatinny rail) and non hooded FS

Can't post a picture due to my low post count, you can have a look here:
Click

It had an ARMS 40L RS and a Samson FS designed for the 55x series (the FBS is either higher or lower than the pic-rail, forgot the details)
These have been replaced by the Sig diopter drum rear and fully hooded FS.
Like these

Both sight combinations give me full cowitness with my Aimpoint

(Edit/... Sight! split in two due to low post count...)
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
(Continued)

Despite its drawbacks and it never being better than 2 MOA, I loved this rifle.
Maybe 8000 rounds through it and only one malfunction in all those years (FTE during a match with a very long string of fire and something like 110°F all day the rifle was hot like a frying pan)

But I've noticed a significant decrease in accuracy last year.
After reading through this story I would blame this fact to my exclusive use of ammo with bi-metal jacket.
Though I usually don't believe too much of what I read online, especially not when published by a merchant, this test seems to have some amount of credence.
I've checked the barrel with an endoscope and while there still is some grooves, they looked pretty bad to me.

I've written to Sig about a replacement barrel, maybe with a different twist and/or different profile and/or muzzle threads.
Answer: 1300$ plus shipping. Special request: no/no/no
And guess what: when I got the rifle seven years ago, they would sell for 2.5k Now they are asking for 4.2
Yes: 4200$

To wrap this up: I'm moving to a system with easier maintenance. I never thought I'll buy an AR15, now I have one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
(Continued)

Maybe 8000 rounds through it and only one malfunction in all those years (FTE during a match with a very long string of fire and something like 110°F all day the rifle was hot like a frying pan)

After reading through this story I would blame this fact to my exclusive use of ammo with bi-metal jacket.
Though I usually don't believe too much of what I read online, especially not when published by a merchant, this test seems to have some amount of credence.
I've checked the barrel with an endoscope and while there still is some grooves, they looked pretty bad to me.

I've written to Sig about a replacement barrel, maybe with a different twist and/or different profile and/or muzzle threads.
Answer: 1300$ plus shipping. Special request: no/no/no
And guess what: when I got the rifle seven years ago, they would sell for 2.5k Now they are asking for 4.2

To wrap this up: I'm moving to a system with easier maintenance. I never thought I'll buy an AR15, now I have one.
View Quote

You will rapidly appreciate the AR15 since you shoot ipsc. Get a good trigger a modern slim rail, and a break if you are allowed.
The sig 55x is cool and I have had a few but the ar15 is really where its at for competition. The sig just feels big and unbalanced after a good ar15.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Vollstahl" simply means: made completely from steel, no metal alloy. Ah ok, very literal.

I own a 551 type rifle and have used it extensively in the past years.
It is not exactly a SAN SIG, but made by Sig Sauer (German division). Except for some minor parts all components were made by SAN SIG.

Some differences in the SIG Sauer model that are hard to comprehend with:
1:10 twist. Wicked sh!t That is the twist rate which the Swiss military specified for GP90 ammo
Bull barrel for an already front heavy system Weight is a problem, even without the bull barrel. SG55x are approximately 20% heavier than a similar AR15
No muzzle threads in combination with a non removable barrel (well, almost) = after market muzzle threads for 300 and + $
Ships with a tiny folding rear sight (flips down into the welded picatinny rail) and non hooded FS

Can't post a picture due to my low post count, you can have a look here:
Click

It had an ARMS 40L RS and a Samson FS designed for the 55x series (the FBS is either higher or lower than the pic-rail, forgot the details)
These have been replaced by the Sig diopter drum rear and fully hooded FS.
Like these

Both sight combinations give me full cowitness with my Aimpoint

(Edit/... Sight! split in two due to low post count...)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
(Continued)

I've checked the barrel with an endoscope and while there still is some grooves, they looked pretty bad to me. Which ammo did you use?
?
Answer: 1300$ plus shipping. Special request: no/no/no That's a ridiculous price. I don't understand why they wouldn't replace it with one with a different twist rate (they do offer 55x's with 1 in 7" barrels, after all)...German laws?

To wrap this up: I'm moving to a system with easier maintenance. I never thought I'll buy an AR15, now I have one. That's quite understandable, given the awesome aftermarket for the AR15, even outside the US.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Was the 55x's FCG derived from an existing design's?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, it's directly derived from the SG 540 series, which in turn was derived from the SG 530 series, which was a joint project by SIG and Beretta in the early 1960's. When Beretta split off, they developed their own AR-70 based on this collaboration. Their modern trigger groups are noticeably different from each other, however. The SIG has a much nicer feel, owing to the second-stage trigger plunger/spring added with the 540 series.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, it's directly derived from the SG 540 series, which in turn was derived from the SG 530 series, which was a joint project by SIG and Beretta in the early 1960's. When Beretta split off, they developed their own AR-70 based on this collaboration. Their modern trigger groups are noticeably different from each other, however. The SIG has a much nicer feel, owing to the second-stage trigger plunger/spring added with the 540 series.
View Quote

My bad, I meant derived/related to designs other than the 530 and 540.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Which ammo did you use?
View Quote

Almost soley Sellier & Bellot 55 gr. FMJ.
I have kicked off a thread about this subject here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
@JoshNC
Curious to hear your thoughts!

Quoted:

Almost soley Sellier & Bellot 55 gr. FMJ.
I have kicked off a thread about this subject here.
View Quote

Bi-metal jacket ammo.
I didn't know S&B produced an in 5.56, never seen any here in Canada.
Is it better than Barnaul etc.?

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I think free floating the barrel would be an upgrade I desire if it was possible
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a sig 551-A1  what a nice rifle shoots great.  rather than try to dress up a 556 I just bought a 556 lower so I can swap out whether i want to us ar mags or swiss sans mags I got plenty of both,  I also swapped out the furniture, top rail rear sight  from MFI , the front sight block from a 55x series and the piston set up the pistol grip   I use a aimpoint or Mepro  

great rifle  few around
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One of the cheapest and most used plinking rounds around here. Probably gets all digested in Europe, so there's none left for you
I'd say about equally bad. Of course you'll have all those super snipers here as well, who will claim and manage to shoot sub-MOA all day long with this ammo.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Hello everyone, happy New Year!

Quoted:
I think free floating the barrel would be an upgrade I desire if it was possible
View All Quotes
Quoted:

With a railed handguard?

Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the cheapest and most used plinking rounds around here. Probably gets all digested in Europe, so there's none left for you
I'd say about equally bad. Of course you'll have all those super snipers here as well, who will claim and manage to shoot sub-MOA all day long with this ammo.

I'm a bit surprised that it's that crappy, it being S&B and all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Are those QD sockets on the 12, 3 and 9 o'clock sections?

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like holes for screws to mount the rail sections.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/bt-21165c_1320_detail.jpg
View Quote

No they are not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No they are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/bt-21165c_1320_detail.jpg

No they are not.
Do you run a sling on your's?

Is the handguard a two-piece design?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top