Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2016 8:38:49 AM EDT
What's the shortest I can go and still maintain reliability?  Just picked up my MPX pistol yesterday. Have two suppressor in the process. I want to go the shortest I can. One company stated 4" was the shortest they would recommend.

Thanks!!

Adam D.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Pistol?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes pistol. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw one guy on here who chopped to 3" in front of the receiver, which is more if you use the dowel method:

That was from over Here

Seen a lot of 4"  Not much under
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
4.5 inches is the shortest length barrel that SIG makes (MPX-K).   If it was me,  I wouldn't  go below that length.   I mean, SIG did extensive testing for knowing the shortest barrel length it  can be   for function,reliability,  accuracy. I would bow to SIG knowledge, rather  then some anonymous guy on the internet who hacked on his pistol.

it's your pistol, do what you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4.5 inches is the shortest length barrel that SIG makes (MPX-K).   If it was me,  I wouldn't  go below that length.   I mean, SIG did extensive testing for knowing the shortest barrel length it  can be   for function,reliability,  accuracy. I would bow to SIG knowledge, rather  then some anonymous guy on the internet who hacked on his pistol.

View Quote

You can actually thank HK for coming up with the 115mm or 4.5" barrel length for the K sized guns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can actually thank HK for coming up with the 115mm or 4.5" barrel length for the K sized guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG, HK. only thing I know is I  wouldn't go any shorter then what they came up with. if the OP, or anyone else for that matter,  wants to go shorter, then more power to him(them).
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SIG, HK. only thing I know is I  wouldn't go any shorter then what they came up with. if the OP, or anyone else for that matter,  wants to go shorter, then more power to him(them).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually gonna be chopping my barrel down soon too as I already got the SBR stamp but waiting on the can. I was planning on going 3 or 4 but what you stated about the 4.5 does make sense tho. Also I need to do some measurements and see how the obsidian looks when put on etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

LoL "I would bow to SIG knowledge" that statement reminds me of the Mormon Southpark episode dum-de-dum-dum-dum
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
does anyone know about this "Taylor Pickerell" Guy that cuts, threads and also does the handguard?

i heard he was relatively cheaper than other at around $160 and does a great job.

i cant seem to find him, and NO i dont use facebook.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Facebook seems to have lots of good reviews of him. I'm sure we could get an email address if you wanted.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Facebook seems to have lots of good reviews of him. I'm sure we could get an email address if you wanted.
View Quote

i seem to cant find squat... can anyone help me on this?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do them for 65 to thread, 40 to cut down the rail and 15 to return ship.

Have done close to 500 of them now.

Turnaround 2-3 business days.

Tons of feedback and reviews here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_143/1029861_Barrel_Threading_sale__50__PTR_91__Tavors__Augs__Scar__Sig_MPX__Beretta_21A_Threading__FAL__PAPM92.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i seem to cant find squat... can anyone help me on this?

Tons of feedback and reviews here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_143/1029861_Barrel_Threading_sale__50__PTR_91__Tavors__Augs__Scar__Sig_MPX__Beretta_21A_Threading__FAL__PAPM92.html

I'm assuming it does.  But just to be sure the $65 obviously includes the barrel cut down as well as retread correct? You only mentioned thread on the $65 price.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol I just realized you are from class 3 machining. I didn't read ur signature but went to the link you posted. Only now I saw it says class 3 in your signature.

You have more than a reputation already with mpx. Have heard it countless times. Will contact you as soon as I figure out how short I want to go with an obsidian including the rail.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Shipped my MPX barrel out to you today. I can't wait!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Will be cutting mine down via Class 3 machining but can't decide which thread pitch to go with. Is it easy to get 9mm flash hiders in 1/2x28? I will want something on end of barrel when it's not suppressed. Other idea is just go ahead with a 3lug mount and run that bare since 3lug flash hiders aren't inexpensive.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I went 1/2x28 on mine. Already have a few muzzle devices in that thread pitch plus the suppressors I'm waiting for...my cut down barrel should be here tomorrow. I placed an order for a Lancer 4.5" handguard as well...

Adam D.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went 1/2x28 on mine. Already have a few muzzle devices in that thread pitch plus the suppressors I'm waiting for...my cut down barrel should be here tomorrow. I placed an order for a Lancer 4.5" handguard as well...

Adam D.

View Quote

What muzzle devices will you use?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably the KAK slim can. The short one.

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-micro-slim-flash-can

Adam D.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Probably the KAK slim can. The short one.

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-micro-slim-flash-can

Adam D.
View Quote

I had this exact one. I believe it comes in 1/2x28 but mines was 1/2x36 becuz when I first got into ar9 I wasn't that seasoned on the thread types. I fell into the u want diff size so you don't stick a 9mm flash can on an AR
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]

All done. Need to pick up a 20 rounder or two...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]

I need todo one like this for my truck gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]

im not sure if i missed it.. but how much did you cut your barrel too?

i have a can that im still waiting on but my goal is to use the can not only on the mpx but also on some other handguns etc.

but when i use it on the other handguns, im either gonna stick a flash can depending on barrel length and if i go 3lug or not. because if i go 3lug which is highly likely then its gonna be one of those 3lug flash hiders etc when the can isnt on. yea the easy solution would be to buy another can but this being my first this wait is outrageous nothing else to do about that. but we shall see when i finally get the stamp and can.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#26]
4" barrel. Using a KAK slim flash can (the short one). 4.5" lancer handguard. Just did the paperwork for an Omega 9k....so I'll throw pictures of that up next Christmas (*sigh*)...

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Adam D.
View Quote
Looking to go the same route!

Anyone know how the barrels are measured? Overall length?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:23:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I finally got my Form4 back this week and just removed my 8" MPX barrel. Will be sending it to you this morning

Question...can I send my barrel with the gas block still attached to the barrel?

I did remove the gas tappet, gas rings, and the A2 FH though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd hit him up on Facebook. This thread is pretty old...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd hit him up on Facebook. This thread is pretty old...
View Quote
Morgan from ClassIIIMachining just emailed me back.  Its fine to leave the gas block on the MPX barrel.

Very fast response I must say!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looking to go the same route!

Anyone know how the barrels are measured? Overall length?
View Quote
I bought Lancer's 6.5" CF handgaurd for my 8" factory barrel.

My measurement of where the flash hider would sit with the 6.5" Lancer handgaurd installed led me to go with a 6.5" barrel (removing 1.5" of my 8" barrel).

I wanted the flash hider and my suppressor to sit very slightly inside the handgaurd, just like it does from the factory with the 8" barrel and factory handgaurd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top